FW-190F-8 - disappointment, triumph, more disappointment and then....?

FW-190F-8 | Airfix | 1/72

SG 10, Luftwaffe, Ceske Budejovice, Czechoslovakia, May 1945

xsXOVOn.jpg

I finished this on 8/21/2020.  It was really a manic-depressive build! ;) I purchased the Airfix FW-190A-8 kit after a string of delightful experiences with Airfix kits (including the F-86Typhoon and P-40C).  The scheme they included didn't thrill me, and then I read later about the difficulties with this kit (which I won't go into here).  Consequently, I lost interest and it was pushed to the back of the stash closet, likely never to be built.  Recently, I was thinking it would be nice to have a A-8 in the display case and thought that maybe a late war A-8 with an RLM 81/82/76 scheme would be nice.  A quick internet search led me to Aeromaster's "Defending the Reich Part 3" decals which had a scheme that I just loved: black 6 of SG 10 (Although Aeromaster said it was "Wr. Nr. and unit unknown") . Internet searching turned up no pictures, profiles or models of such an FW-190A-8 (more on that later), so I went my merry way.  Everything went well until painting.  Hataka (whose paints I've really loved so far) had renditions of RLM 81 and 82 that were lime green and purple resulting in an airplane that looked like something the Joker from Batman would fly!  So, I asked for some help in this thread:

The thread resulted in a lively discussion which taught me a lot and allowed me to fix the colors to something more believable.  It was in this thread that some very helpful folks found pictures of my Black 6 -- the reason why I couldn't find information on it is because it was an F-8, not an A-8!  Once I used those search terms I found quite a bit of information, including that Revell released a model of Black 6 not long ago. The other problem is that the paint scheme on the a/c in the picture was clearly not what Aeromaster had in their profile!  I did some soul-searching because I hate doing things wrong when I have evidence in hand.  I wanted to keep the paint job because it looked great.  I decided to at least convert it to an F-8, so at least that part would be correct.  I dug most of the parts I needed out of an Eduard FW-190A-5 in the stash and ordered AML models resin ETC50 bomb racks.

At this point I started an WIP. @SafetyDad recognized I was struggling with the authenticity of my build and suggest that I do "Black 9", which there is no documentation of, but could've existed and would be representative of the kinds of paint schemes being applied at the unit level at the time (the pictures of the SG 10 aircraft showed they all had different paint schemes).  So this was the approach I took.

I really have to thank a number of folks that helped me out, both with the paint and the build: @SafetyDad, @Werdna, @dogsbody, @Wulfman, @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, @Tail-Dragon, @klr and hopefully I didn't leave anyone off.

Sorry for the long-winded RFI, but it was such a saga and I had to share... ;) 

Paint: 1 part Hataka RLM 81 (Braunviolett) to 1 part Hataka RLM 79b (Medium brown) / 2 parts Hataka RLM 82 (light green) to 1 part Hataka RLM 79b (Medium Brown) uppers > Hataka RLM 76

Decals: Stencils from Airfix kit > other decals from Aeromaster's "Defending the Reich Part 3"

Aftermarket:  True Details wheels > AML Resin ETC 50 Bomb racks

Other: Centerline bomb rack and bomb, armored headrest support, and loop antenna from Eduard FW-190A-5 kit.

Sf4zSD0.jpg

XXmU4RD.jpg

NTW7iD6.jpg

VdCOsv3.jpg

BGCVGrJ.jpg

ddOUaHh.jpg

t4q6qSD.jpg

YRNXB41.jpg

7RlW3aV.jpg

nTngK0E.jpg

aeuUynA.jpg

Although I found German bombs to go on these racks, the detail was so incredible, I decided to leave them empty.  I broke off and lost 2 sway braces that I fabricated some replacements for.

oy8eOp5.jpg

The exterior detail of the Airfix kit is quite nice with the exception of the wheels.  The wheel detail is terribly soft and I highly recommend replacement wheels.  I used the True Details wheels and they are beautiful!

yPYyR1t.jpg

Plus, they are weighted! :) 

zyMZy5L.jpg

Thanks for looking!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism always welcome!

• Like 39

I forgot to mention that, according to Eduard's instructions for "Yellow K" from SG 10, the wheel covers were removed to prevent build up of mud, and the yellow stripe around the cowl indicated a ground attack unit.

• Like 1

Well done for persevering with the Airfix Fw190, it's not the best of kits at all.

I hate to tell you this but Airfix, as well as not including certain detail parts like some of the aerials, also made a huge mistake with the access panel on the fin. There should only be a panel on the left side of the fin but they managed to engrave one on both sides!

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

Excellent work. Very impressive paintwork. This is not one of Airfix's better efforts which was disappointing at the time but thankfully the Eduard kits are very nice. 

Cheers Allan

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I hate to tell you this but Airfix, as well as not including certain detail parts like some of the aerials, also made a huge mistake with the access panel on the fin. There should only be a panel on the left side of the fin but they managed to engrave one on both sides!

Oh no.... I read that in a review at about the same time I was starting the kit and made a mental note to fix it... which I promptly forgot about until you just reminded me! Nuts. :banghead:  Well, I guess I'll just display it with the proper side showing. :D 

9 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

I appreciate the little detail tweaks you did at the finish - the removal of the lower wheel covers, the adjustment of your exhaust painting and leaving the bombs off.

Great final result!

And thank you for the references and ideas! I agreed with you that those bomb racks were just too nice to cover up. :) 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Even if it is not completely authentic, it looks like it really should be. That is a great scheme

In the end, I was satisfied that it looked like it could be part of SG10, even if it was made up.  I thought the scheme was really neat looking and I didn't want to give it up! ;) Thanks!

8 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build and finish, great stuff !

Wulfman

Thank you!  and thank you for the discussion in the paint thread -- I learned quite a lot

8 hours ago, almac said:

thankfully the Eduard kits are very nice.

That's good to hear!  I have 2 in the stash and I decided to do this one first as I was certain it would be more difficult. 

• Like 2