1/72 Fairey IIIF family by Kora models

LN-KEH

This is excellent news. I hope an pray they did not mess up in similar way they did with their Siskin III kits. Only one way to find out I am afraid, I will have to order one.

Thanks LN-KEH!

Complete plastic kit with photo-etched parts and decals

- ref. KPK72120 - Fairey IIIF MK.IVC & MK.IVM/A Land service RAF

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5_73&products_id=3410

KPK72120.jpg

- ref. KPK72121 - Fairey IIIF MK.IVC & MK.IVM Land service FAA

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5_73&products_id=3411

KPK72121.jpg

See also resin add ons

- ref. D72161 - Fairey IIIF early Gordon wheels 

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_17&products_id=3412

- ref. D72162 - Fairey IIIF late Gordon/Seal wheels

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_17&products_id=3413

- ref. DS72251 - 4x116lb bombs with racks Fairey IIIF, Gordon, Seal

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_42_43&products_id=3419

- ref. DS72252 - 2x116lb bombs with racks Fairey IIIF, Gordon, Seal

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_42_43&products_id=3420

- ref. DS72253 - 8x20lb bomb with racks Fairey IIIF, Gordon, Seal

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_42_43&products_id=3421

- ref. DS72254 - 2xcargo containers for Fairey IIIF, Gordon, Seal

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_42_43&products_id=3422

- ref. DS72255 - 2x75 gallon auxilliary fuel tanks for Fairey IIIF, Gordon, Seal

http://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_42_43&products_id=3423

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Right, need to figure out which one the RNZAF operated pre war. I might be able to stop looking for a Contrail one now. :)

They'll possibly get easy to find all of a sudden. :D  Need a Fairey Gordon kit now or a conversion for this. You listening LF? :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

I built a couple of these from Contrail, and have always liked the plane. I would be tempted by these. They should be easier to do than the vacforms!

Ray

• Like 1

Ordered both. I am going to post brief review as soon as I get them. Including comparison to the Contrail vacform.

I am puzzled a bit by the Mk.IIIB & Mk.IVM FAA boxing though, as the Mk.IVM was a an RAF two-seater version as far as I know. Nevertheless, the FAA boxart features S1475, which was Mk.IIIB, and the RAF boxart shows J9653 and J9662, both Mk.IVM/A, so far so good. I will be the first to admit that Fairey IIIF is a genuine can of worms, therefore let's hope Kora guys were not only bold, but also thorough in their research. Another bad surprise, like their oversized Siskin III/IIIDC, would most probably put them very close to my black list.

@stevehnz The RNZAF examples should have been a mix of Mk.IIIM, Mk.IIIB and Mk.IVM/A - at least this is what I found without digging too deep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is very nice news! Interesting if they plan to do all variants (Gordon, Seal) or one have to do them by scratch work

The IIIF and his variants have surprisingly some WW2 history:

From Wiki:

About Gordon in WW2 times:

The type had mostly been retired from Royal Air Force and Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm service prior to the Second World War, although No. 6 Squadron RAF, No. 45 Squadron RAF, and No. 47 Squadron RAF, still operated the type in Egypt. Six of these aircraft were transferred to the Egyptian Air Force.

49 Gordons were dispatched to the Royal New Zealand Air Force in April 1939, 41 entering brief service as pilot trainers. The RNZAF found the aircraft worn out and showing signs of their service in the Middle East – including at least one scorpion. The last of these – and the last intact Gordon anywhere – was struck from RNZAF service in 1943.

Seven Gordons were adapted to target towing and stationed at No 4 Flying Training School at RAF Habbaniya in Iraq.[1] At the end of April 1941 these aircraft were hastily converted back into bombers, and in early May they took part in the defence of Habbaniya against Iraqi forces threatening and then attacking the School.[2]

About Seal:

he Seal was designed and built by Fairey Aviation. It first flew in 1930 and entered squadron service with the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) in 1933. Ninety-one aircraft were produced.

The FAA started to replace it with the Swordfish Mk1 from 1936. By 1938 all FAA torpedo squadrons had been entirely re-equipped with the Swordfish. The Seal was removed from front-line service by 1938, but remained in secondary and support roles. By the outbreak of the Second World War, only four remained in service. The type was retired fully by 1943. The type was last used in India as an instructional airframe from the Royal Navy Photographic Unit.

The RAF also operated the Seal as a target tug. Twelve aircraft were part of the RAF's No 10 Bombing and Gunnery School until 1940. A further four aircraft were used by 273 Squadron in Ceylon. These aircraft were used on coastal patrols, some as floatplanes. By May 1942, the type had been retired from RAF service.

In 1934 Latvia ordered four Seal floatplanes for its naval aviation (factory numbers F.2112 – 2115, tactical numbers 26 – 29, later 98 – 101).[1] Between 22 June and 5 July 1936 three floatplanes under Colonel Janis Indans undertook a 6000 km long journey from Liepāja through Baltic and North European countries to England and back. In autumn 1940, after Latvia's annexation, the aircraft were taken by the Soviets, but they were not used by them, and they remained stored on Kisezers lake. On 28 June 1941 they were destroyed there by German planes.[1]

The Latvian (then captured by Soviets) Seal:

Fairey_Seal_Lettland.jpg

2vtVSWxaJH2wxwThXkrjGCrlMl6I4tJMAGS9qf8e

About IIIF:

The IIIF remained in use in second line roles, and despite being declared obsolete in 1940,[24] some were still in use as target tugs as late as 1941.

The Greece had IIIFs, still in use in 1940-41 campaign At web page https://www.facebook.com/1570523089876641/posts/2259820407613569/ 

56866452_2259816927613917_82629979233320

Description: 14 Apr. 1941 - N10 (crew: Economou, Drakakis, Barbas) is returning to Moudros (Limnos) after a special operation. Around 3pm, it meets four German Ju88 fighter-bombers between St. Efstratios and Skyros. (It is claimed that) Drakakis, the gunner, forces one of the aircraft to abort, but his machine gun jams. N10 is forced to ditch at sea. The crew swims to safety (presumably to Skyros), but the aircraft is sunk and Barbas has been wounded.'' 

Interesting if KORA was able to find out the detials of painting schems for for example Habbaniya's Gordons?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JWM said:

In autumn 1940, after Latvia's annexation, the aircraft were taken by the Soviets, but they were not used by them, and they remained stored on Kisezers lake. On 28 June 1941 they were destroyed there by German planes.[1]

The Latvian (then captured by Soviets) Seal:

Fairey_Seal_Lettland.jpg

2vtVSWxaJH2wxwThXkrjGCrlMl6I4tJMAGS9qf8e

What gave rise to rumors in the 1990s that there was a Fairey Swordfish in the USSR! 😁 On the basis of which some manufacturers even made decals of Fairy Swordfish with red stars ..... 😁well, modeller's-historians confused Fairy Swordfish with Fairy What gave rise to rumors in the 1990s that there was a Fairey Swordfish in the USSR!😲😁  On the basis of which some manufacturers even made decals of Fairey Swordfish with red stars ..... well, model historians confused Fairey Swordfish with Fairey Seal, who does not happen to?

😁😁

In general, 90 gave rise to so many myths that they have been raking them for the second decade ...

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

This is a type I'd very much like.  It will be interesting to see how they are priced. Their resin kits are very expensive, with the Baffin and Ripon at £70.  Maybe, as these are to be injection moulded, they'll be a bit more affordable.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Their resin kits are very expensive, with the Baffin and Ripon at £70.  Maybe, as these are to be injection moulded, they'll be a bit more affordable.

They are in some way connected with LF models (having common web page). The LF models do series of Fokker CV variants (as injected kits) as well as previously the resin kits. The ratio of price is close to 1:2. Kora do also in plastic (injected) series Dewoitine 27, Fiat CR 20 and some other small kits - they are all not very cheep but on the level 20-25 euro (in Poland) so I believe a bit bigger Fairey III can be expected perhaps on level of 30-35 euro, so again about 50% of resin kit of the same size. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a side note, the connection between LF and Kora is just that they are friends, they are completely separate model makers, they just share the same website.

I know cause I know both from model fairs in the Czech Republic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is a bit more complicated than that. However Mr Fojtl of LF Models does all the marketing for mr Koraba's KORA models and it works fine. Price for these kits in Holland will be euro 37,95. First stocks seem to arrive there early next week.   

Quite the new normal in fact. I know there is the odd kit I might have jumped on when new that I've left alone because of negative reviews & not unnecessarily rivet counting ones either. Nature's way of telling me I didn't really need it. ;) These though, would need to be dire before I'll pass one up.

Steve.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

How spoiled we've become...

It's more about "the can of worms " the Fairey IIIf presents ..for example the rear decking varies dramatically (seemingly) between aircraft in the same squadron (.they could have three cutouts- two cutouts- one long cutout and various different exhaust configurations . ) Also as a comparison of the two main existing kits reveals (Contrail and Merlin)  the nose shape ,fuselage depth and wing chord seems to be difficult to get right .(as it seems is the actual size of the aircraft )  I've read somewhere that this stems from a lack of accurate 3 views  and a debate as to wether or not the published length is based on the ground print of the tailsitter or the in flight horizontal length ... ( the italeri B58 Hustler  is example of how bad research can affect a subject  well  beyond a minor rivet counting obsession  -it been well  over a inch too short in its fuselage length ( the published length didn't include the nose probe and  italeri  thought it did , leading to a very noticeable squashed fuselage )   .......so it would be nice to see some sprue shots just in case there is a similar blunder .😉   ( like making the IIIF a triplane...)😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do understand the reasoning: I adore the Fairey IIIF and have been waiting for one in 1/48 or 1/32 (or even 1/72!) for a long time. The Contrail/Sanger kits are OK, but anything that adds to the pool is most welcome, even if it needs a bit of 'persuading'.

I'd still have preferred it in 1/48 though. Or 1/32. Or resin.

...or 1/24.... 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for understanding where I am coming from, yes I want a 98% accurate model in shape and proportions:

I don't mind a detail here and there that is missing. I am just fed up by model makers that don't do their research so I've started to take the consequences means I just don't buy obviously off models anymore.
I have enough of these in my stash, go figure lol.

Also Kora's prices aren't exactly a bargain it should be allowed to be a bit of a skeptic.

I bought several of LF's Fokker CV series and I like these very much.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I do understand the reasoning: I adore the Fairey IIIF and have been waiting for one in 1/48 or 1/32 (or even 1/72!) for a long time. The Contrail/Sanger kits are OK, but anything that adds to the pool is most welcome, even if it needs a bit of 'persuading'.

I'd still have preferred it in 1/48 though. Or 1/32. Or resin.

...or 1/24.... 😉

are you aware of this  ? 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077986-148-fairey-iiif-kits-for-sale/&do=getNewComment

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1