TVR V8S 1:43 SMTS a project for a friend

I couldn't resist doing a bit more on the TVR.

y4mxdxAZ6bvgRxm-XzjrNnsWaw2QAnJOti0WMOOq

Masking removed and interior tub mocked up.

y4moVHBKeL6GoHMreAlH_T5R1vw7g--bBo10foM8

And a mock up with the body, it looks rather good, I think.

y4mPJOTGgYlQOa46IcCDpQx5cZbQpCF8FJ976lXD

You get some nice photo-etched bits.  I'd previously primed the dashboard ready for some brown paint to simulate the veneer.  This isn't right for my friend's S2 but I've taken the easier option of going with what's there rather than trying to back-date the kit.

y4mh5qctw1p9z2x9HmgaISaOu1Ez33TZ2CP4xbxs

A quick splash of brown paint should do the trick,.  I also decided to glue the hand brake and gear lever in place.  I'm not sure if the hand brake is supposed to go there.  On the real V8S the brake lever goes between the transmission tunnel and the driver's seat, but I don't think there's space.  I can't remember where the hand brake goes on the S2.  Anyway, it's there which is better than not having it at all.

I think that's enough for tonight.

• Like 3

If memory of a friend's old S2 is right, the handbrake was just as you described it (between the transmission tunnel and driver's seat) - in fact pretty much where that notch in the side of the tunnel in the pic above is. There wasn't a tab to fit in that notch was there? Not a deal breaker though - the handbrake looks fine where you've put it. And good luck fitting the phototech - at 1/32 I can imagine some of it is very  small!

• Thanks 1

One step forward, one step back (or sideways).

y4mq1RdUGHZ9Wvt5qHX2dtgnfCuByezH-xug9NrN

Dashboard veneer installed.  Handbrake removed, it looks like there should be room for it to the right of the transmission tunnel although experiments suggest it might need filing down a fraction.

• Like 5

Just doing a couple of little bits.

y4m_QAOIB9LdTtMZCmoSpTFfzQa4jKKVK2ccg-pZ

Checking the fit of the headlamp bezels, thankfully the paint hasn't affected the fit.  Also the grille, it's odd because the mesh part is recessed and what should be empty space is raised.  I originally painted it silver and applied a black wash, which looked odd, so it was stripped and painted black.

y4mFxnpRMv9r0HQwKZq3HtBGN78mHAGV0d3zMQvK

I made a wash of aluminium enamel paint to go over the acrylic base colour.  I think it's turned out OK. but it's still not great.  I might see if I can try something else.

• Like 4

A few more little bits on the TVR.

y4maFsqdyaYYm2vumGQy-Fw3xqei5RRIftsjA2Oa

Headlamp bezels glued in place, and the interior mocked up, including the windscreen frame.

y4mBFCP2y1s1oM84-eIba1RmemXRzTR494_mIkym

Tail lamps and steering wheel are there too.  Some touching in required on the tail lamp clusters.  These were sprayed with Halfords generic silver paint then over-painted with Tamiya clear colours.

y4mItRATmPTvef7LjKmnNbrkrY2qispRJ7RnUXPH

One more view, I like the colour combination but I had a worrying moment when I spoke to my friend who owns the real car on which this is based; he said the TVR had been resprayed (the real car had a few scuffs and chips).  Thankfully he's not gone for a colour change as, "I love that colour," so my model is still a reasonable approximation of his full-size machine.

I've done a bit more since these photos, so there may be another update later tonight.

• Like 4

The TVR has been the focus of my efforts today.

y4mgKIgxVOTYrpGrWeEXgxwTavpn-Jind7Tm-bZR

My friend's car has chrome mirror caps, so I got the Bare Metal Foil out and started work with the result you see above...

y4mNIyacqGmbY2kzZHtkWKm9eMGhLITbXlYq9F3o

I'll drill and pin the mirror before gluing it again.  I thought I should also check the fit of the "quarterlight" frame (which is just a support for the main window, there are no quarterlights).  The passenger side fits nicely.

y4mFT-IRYJ5VERiyR6jC99CkEt_2NunhS64UG_FP

On the driver's side, the gap that should be there, isn't but it should be in the interior tub so I can open it up without risking the paint on the body.

y4m4dUz9DUvX0bDOAUZqcapfBEkINueuZ5e6Xmys

You can see where I've hacked the casting about to open up the moulded recess.

y4mAnCXEoDNoD5BesRnp5KgujgTxSvksl1EfQYk1

Mirror going back on.  The observant among you will see that the bumper rubbing strips have been painted black.

y4mcd0sQZw5SZEv06LBJYzjvT6jyZm_y7hqBd1TB

Also checking fit on the interior with the hood cover in place.

• Like 5

Moving this forward a little.

y4m5HTafapC7hkh0jxyFIpDCdaCIFs2FCpnAnoiU

Front indicators are on the etched fret, I gave them a coat of sliver from a marker pen yesterday and today added some Tamiya clear orange.  As I had the paint I also touched up the orange paint on the rear light clusters.

y4mmi8xpN96JMo3Q-WwKX43ZuSY5omN7tNMC8Cqx

I've also hit a bit of a snag, I tried cutting the axle to length but it's so hard that it stripped the teeth from my hacksaw blade.  I'm not quite sure what to do, whether to try with a fresh blade, find another cutting solution or find another axle?

• Like 3

On 15/03/2021 at 21:51, Kitkent said:

Hi John,I normally use cutters and brute force,or failing that my Dremel  drill with the tiny grinding wheel. But that's more complicated! Chris.

The cutters worked a treat, thanks.

y4mVPtxxU2BqURJoInzreckNBsVWYQCs2BdfREqV

Just a dry fit of the wheels on the axles at the moment, but its looking good.

y4mXkSC9LCU_twvPUWeKsP6hcpdQLePZMAt5JLGf

From the rear.

The next biggest worry is cutting out the vacuum formed windscreen and adding all the PE details without getting glue everywhere.

• Like 3

A little progress on the TVR.

y4mro_VyXl1NILAHrSyVJVBLlqvRgwnR1iatyaq0

Wheels are glued to the axles.  Don't be fooled by the superglue, they are attached with two-part epoxy glue.

y4mdAwt8sWONQI7VJXEkrmJzQ1Mi9mrhkHahzizM

Front end has some lights and the lower grille.  It would have had some indicators but one of these pinged off and I hope I can find it. If not, I'll have to try and fabricate a replacement.

• Like 1

I was tidying up this morning and found the missing indicator :D

y4mgobGYDr5b9xW1_m_oHoxbdvUSHrGqCSyXOL8M

I decided that it was best to cut out the other indicator and get them both on the car, pronto.  You can see another of my special tools for manipulating tiny parts.

y4mV6gN6JyMwEFFsMn_4lEEBTc4SqXHjaY2V9kU2

It really feels like this is coming together and I'm glad the black rubbing strips just about stand out against the dark blue paint.  I need to add some bright trim strips above the rubbing strips.  I also need to add a dab of orange paint on the indicator repeaters.  I lost the rear view mirror but think I can bodge a replacement.  The windscreen still needs trimming (I've made a start), door mirror lenses will be painted with Molotow chrome and it needs number plates.  Oh and there are the PE fuel filler, badges and door handles.  

I'll need to get a display case so I can present the car to my friend.

• Like 6

That's looking good now - amazing what a difference adding wheels can make.

One thing I tried recently with the Chevy, and which works even better than I expected, is to go over the indicator repeater with silver paint (Molotow chrome in my case), then once dry go over that a few times with clear orange. It feels excessive for such a small part (even more so at 1/43 I imagine), but does help give the impression of 'glass' rather than paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Spiny I was considering the metallic and clear option for the side indicators.  I've done that before on 1/24 kits, I guess I'm just getting worried about waving too much paint and glue around near the almost finished kit; I really don't want anything to go wrong at this stage.

But I have been browsing the other SMTS kits and I can see me getting some more, plus a couple of K&R Replicas 43rd kits.

• Like 1

Not much of an update, but proof that the little TVR is not forgotten.

y4mzBUJ4ANi9G9fWj6CG0XG2gt7cZUBqOFBWh9AM

Some chrome paint from the Molotow pen on the side repeaters and mirror glass.

• Like 6

A quick update on the TVR.

y4mvC61i_5VYpAA3SOtOqjW08lx8UjLXvzBz3pbb

I think I have a new candidate for least favourite modelling task; cutting out vac-formed windscreens.  It's there but I'm not sure the fit is great or that I ever want to go through the experience again.  I don't know if there's a technique or a trick I'm missing?

Oh and I scratched the windscreen pillar while fitting the window frame.  It's a good thing my friend is registered blind (although he does have some vision), he might not notice all the flaws on "his" car 😅

• Like 5

Looks good John,you need curved nail type scissors and a very sharp knife,which is how I cut my thumb open this morning! Vacforms are always a pain,you just have to take forever over them. And use Kristal Klear or Glue n glaze,it's thinner. Chris.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, I did use Glue n Glaze to fix it in position.  It felt like I took forever, trimming off piece by tiny piece but I think I'll get some curved nail scissors the next time I go shopping.

• Like 1

Trying to add parts to the TVR faster than they can fall off (I suppose a few bits dropping off is prototypical for a TVR).

y4ms0pQ3A8XCTw17adLzYekFHhwQQjMp_sKF1FHW

Door handles added and side indicators painted orange.

y4mo8uTocH1FK_jKQLHRp31bpzyD7x82jAvhE65S

TVR badge added but one of the indicators has vanished.

y4mzqPI-m2DRG0JFVGc9wdYI3j_w-4l-otimEZjD

Fuel filler cap added.

y4mFQaDynFpfLK_-npI6mzoeNXxDCh2ipZcen6HJ

And a pair of windscreen wipers.

I just need to add the handbrake and a pair of number plates.  I ought to add the chrome trim on the bumpers but I'm worried I'll mess something up.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...