Accuracy of AMMO by Mig Jiménez RAF WWII Colours

Nobby Clarke

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It's not especially difficult but there's going to be a very big difference between what someone who could do it would consider a financial return worth getting out of bed for considering the shear amount of time needed, and what the typical consumer would consider a reasonable price.

That's why books with painted chips as opposed to printed chips tend to be quite expensive.

Yep, I absolutely understand that. I would be happy even with printed chips, if they are of the RAF Museum book quality. Unfortunately, many of the books containing paint chips have been out of print for decades. Since such books were published in the past, one wonders why there are almost none today. And a paint chip chart on its own should be significantly cheaper than a book containing a paint chip chart.

Edited by ptarmigan

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Speaking as someone who paints swatches of every new colour I buy, I can attest to the time-swallowing nature of this compulsion. To be honest, I'm not even sure why I do it,

Because you love paint ;)

22 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

Yep, I absolutely understand that. I would be happy even with printed chips, if they are of the RAF Museum book quality. Unfortunately, many of the books containing paint chips have been out of print for decades. Since such books were published in the past, one wonders why they are almost none today. And a paint chip chart on its own should be significantly cheaper than a book containing a paint chip chart.

That's what the hikoki chart does

Getting swatches of US olive drab is completely utter financial terrorism

Edited by Steben

On 6/10/2021 at 4:21 PM, ptarmigan said:

And a paint chip chart on its own should be significantly cheaper than a book containing a paint chip chart.

Equally books without paint chips are significantly cheaper than books containing a paint chip chart. As before, it's just hugely time consuming to do. Printed chips just cause more arguments than they avoid because as a process it's too imprecise.

There's also the somewhat cynical aspect to it. Those in a position to make paint chip charts most easily are those who make the paint - but those people have significant investments in the paint itself and can only survive by selling paint. I've been asked more times than I can remember to make Royal Navy paint chip charts so people can go match my research to someone else's paint and buy that instead. You'd have to have a very strong reason to want to make paint chip charts without any skin in the game otherwise because it'll cost a fortune to get a comprehensive set of wet paints which dry out to the correct colour values as measured by spectrophotometer with which to spray your chips - and then you're either making copies of something someone else has already done or you're offering something new in terms of the colours themselves - and if your chips aren't exactly the same as the source you're plagiarising then they require technical justification for why you think yours are correct - hence usually paint chip charts come in books explaining where these colours came from.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The linked Luftwaffe chart appears to have moiré patterns on the colour chips.  Is it a printed chart, or just presented that way online to be useless as a digital sample?

regards,

Jack

3 minutes ago, JackG said:

The linked Luftwaffe chart appears to have moiré patterns on the colour chips.  Is it a printed chart, or just presented that way online to be useless as a digital sample?

regards,

Jack

I have that chart, Jack (along with the original version that was in my copy of the book). It doesn't appear to be printed and definitely doesn't have moire patterns on it.

The moire could also be a result of the scanning process.

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, but scanning itself should not create moire dots if the image is a solid colour?

Are those chips pasted separately onto the chart sheet, or perhaps masked and sprayed directly onto the sheet?  If there is no detectable raised surface on those colour swatches, it could very well be printed, and a very fine dot that is not readily seen by eye?

regards,

Jack

24 minutes ago, JackG said:

Hmm, but scanning itself should not create moire dots if the image is a solid colour?

Are those chips pasted separately onto the chart sheet, or perhaps masked and sprayed directly onto the sheet?  If there is no detectable raised surface on those colour swatches, it could very well be printed, and a very fine dot that is not readily seen by eye?

regards,

Jack

I think it would depend on the format in which the scanned image is stored and/or transmitted. And the swatches are glossy, which might cause interference patterns in the image. But usually such patterns aren't regularly spaced dots as these are, so it may indeed be a form of watermark. There is a raised edge on each color swatch on the actual charts, so they aren't printed directly onto the page. And under 100X magnification, the only swatch that exhibited any visible dot or grain structure was RLM 01 Silber, which is to be expected. This leads me to believe that the swatches are paint. Whether they are glued on or sprayed directly, I couldn't say for sure.

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steben said:

Sold out :D funny

That's because they're very good so you need to be quick as they soon sell out. 🙂

They'll be having more stock just put your name down and they'll notify you when more are in stock.