B.U.F.F - B-52D 346th BS, Anderson AFB, Guam 1968

Bonhoff

Retrieved from storage in the loft....

50254837297_a81507d06c_z.jpg

Is this "Big Ugly Fat Fellow"

50254658196_95b1cc8b15_z.jpg

And the contents

50254837262_8ab13f7be0_z.jpg

Let's face it, this is surely the iconic aircraft subject of Vietnam, represented by Tamiya's 1/100 scale B-52D that spans a mere 560mm or so when built.

And no, I have no idea what I'm to going do with it once constructed 😂

Three markings schemes but only one that seems to fit the Vietnam time frame - Airframe 56-0604 based on Guam in April 1968.

Searching for information about the airframe found this little nugget - "56-0604 11-5-72 Landed at U-Tapao. 333 external damage areas. Using horizontal stabilizer from 55-097. Estimated time in commission (ETIC) 2-1-73"

Sounds like it was hit by a SAM-2, anyone know anything else about this?

I'm off to do some more research.....

IanJ 

• Like 7

Hi Ian,

My ancient Monogram 52D came with the option of a "big belly" version in SEA markings but I chose the silver/white scheme - I may get round to refurbishing it in that scheme sometime as all the decs are peeling off. In the meantime, storing it is a major problem - at least the wings can come off my B-36 which is even bigger. Yours should be less of a problem but still ruddy big!

20180321231315-05

Unfortunalely I was obliged to take this display shelf over my staircase down as SWMBO got tired of dusting it!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

It's a big old bird....That's a 12" rule there

50255622582_1f0500d894_z.jpg

Mrs B is not in the least bit impressed with the possibility of this appearing on a shelf.

IanJ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

It's a big old bird....That's a 12" rule there

50255622582_1f0500d894_z.jpg

Mrs B is not in the least bit impressed with the possibility of this appearing on a shelf.

IanJ 

You could always point out how lucky she is that it is :-

1. not in 1.72 scale, and

2, not a B-36!

20180321231315-07

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

welcome along Ian and what an awesome choice!!!!  You really can't have a Vietnam themed GB without one of these famous beasts!

I remember see a couple of these at the "Pitch Black" Exercise in Darwin 1988. Two of them were packed beside our RF-111's. One of the aircraft participated in the "Linebacker" operations, talking to the crew they reckon she still rattles from the leftover shrapnel still stuck inside her!! Plus we were "bombed" by her on a early morning "road" what a sight to see that was!! Interestingly they're still planning the B-52 will be the first operational aircraft to be in use for 100 years....only got 300 odd years to go!

Sh's a big sucker for sure even at 1/100th!!

Good luck with her, I'm really glad you bought her along and I will definately follow this one with interest.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So - I'm afraid I got a bit carried away.....

50364670092_6d2d9e61c4_z.jpg

Part of this is down to the nature of the kit's engineering - There are a number of repeat sub assemblies  - 4x engine pods, 4x undercarriages etc; despite the size and the subject, there aren't many parts either.

The wings and tailplanes are also engineered in such a way that it would be impossible to locate them incorrectly - There are 2 tabs on each of the main planes that are offset, they also slot into channels on the opposite side of the fuselage.

I don't think it would take too much effort to use some magnets to help in keeping the wings on when displaying this beast.

The fuselage halves location are also assisted by the tops of the undercarriage bays slotting into both each other and the 4 transverse bulkheads.

50364503936_0c2158e313_z.jpg

Despite all this positive location, given the length of the fuselage, I've added tabs all the way round to reinforce the joint.

Next job is to paint all the zinc chromate areas, a bit of research seems to indicate that there can be green chromate in the cockpit area and yellow chromate in the undercarriage and bomb bays.

Is that a fair assumption?

IanJ 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I would be surprised if the cockpit was chromate green.

Must admit, I was a bit surprised when I saw green chromate in the cockpit of the B-52D on the USAF Museum website....

Another look round the net seems to show most cockpits in grey.

IanJ

• Like 1

gosh even back then tamiya knew how do things right with a model!

MMM the cockpit for sure would have been that standard USAF Interior Grey. I've looked inside the bomb bay of a couple of B-52's and can't for the life of me remember what the colour was inside.

Best go have a look at some of the walkarounds......those you do need to remember museum item may not be 100% accurate!

Great to see this build underway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An inspired choice Ian :popcorn:

I thinned out my 1/100 scale stash a few months ago and the B-52 was one that I let go (on the basis of its size).  I'm now regretting that decision!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Major components glued together - Despite gluing additional tabs all the way round, I still ended up with bad seams and a whole lot of filling and scraping to contend with.

50511310671_8fbf8a7182_z.jpg

And another shot showing it on its bombing run at the start of "Operation Flatulent Spaniel"

50511310666_f21d3c8f84_z.jpg

Got my desk tidied now so I can stop building it on my lap and get started on painting.

IanJ 

• Like 5

Know that feeling Rich.

Unfortunately a combination of financial and marital reasons means that I will never but one I suspect - unless I win the lottery (fat chance)!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

On 25/10/2020 at 00:12, trickyrich said:

can you imagine this in 1/48th!!!!

The new HPH model is a monster and expensive.........but for some strange reason I'd love one!

At 1:1 air air shows the buff is not as big as I thought it would be. Dwarfs fighters but small compared to passenger jets we are all used to walking up to.  😀

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Work on this has been somewhat limited by the fact that it's dropped cold - Despite the fact that the Iancave is insulated and I have a heater in there, all that is negated because "The Flop Eared Loon" insists on sitting in there with me and he insists that the door must be open...

As you can imagine, there's been a few rather chilly build sessions going on in there.

One thing that I discovered was that the B-52 didn't have the classic "SEAC" upper colour scheme like most of the other USAF combatants, that being FS 34079/34102/30219, but instead FS 34079/34159/34201...

Options for SAC Bomber Green (34159) and Tan (34201) are available but seem to be pricey and/or in big bottles which, despite the B-52 being big, won't get used once this one's painted.

However, I eventually found a make I've never heard of before, Badger "Modelflex" acrylic paint - Which were available from Barwell Bodyworks but now appear to be sold out, which is a pity, as they were only 50p a bottle! I ordered the 7 different shades of US green that were available and the postage still cost more than the paint!

Thus prepared - I set to painting the beast, a coat of primer followed by preshading the panels with Tamiya NATO Black and we were on to the main colours.

After marking out the demarcation lines with pencil I opened the Tan paint - First thing to note, don't shake it, stir it or you just end up with a froth. It was claimed that it didn't require thinning and for once the claims proved correct, a first coat sprayed at 20 PSI went on smoothly and without histrionics although the tip needed cleaning a couple of times, then over to the Bomber Green which once again seemed to work OK.

A few days later, I put a coat of the 34079 on - all this was done freehand which was probably a mistake but I'm committed now 😬

A couple of pictures showing the B-52 after the first pass.

50686879703_a5d29777fc_c.jpg

50687628896_8b8a7be7aa_c.jpg

Did a second coat but that where the problems started - I don't think it's the fault of the paint but thanks to the Spaniel it was very very cold in the shed so I had all sorts of problems trying to paint it, I've now taken the decision to edge the demarcation lines with a brush but will be able to bring it in the house for that.

Still got 20 something bombs to paint.

Thanks for the extension to the GB guys!

IanJ 

• Like 4

I think that you have done a great job on the painting Ian, especially in a cold shed.

I like your description of the "Flop Eared Loon", very funny. Our Labrador also likes to "help" me when modelling too, has put paid to many a modelling session!

I imagine it takes a fair amount of paint, even in a smaller scale, to cover a B-52.

Cats are much better.......they just look at you with disdain, then whether you're looking or not just swat the model off the table.......or curl up in the box on top of everything!

She does look good though! :thumbsup:

You should see if you can find some period photo's of her, colour preferable, you may find the patchiness of the paint is spot on.

• Thanks 1

Greetings,

Used the best part of a jar of Tamiya black for the undersides! So much so, I've run out and will probably need some more before I can finish this off.... 

50722476491_1672b63a72_c.jpg

Kind regards

IanJ

• Like 3