Vulcan-Blue Steel armed 617, no refueling probe

BushBrit66

Cracking on with my old tood Airfix kit which I want to make as different as possible as the Black Buck machine I will build with the new. 

I want to do a 617 machine, with pink fin insignia, Blue Steel Any reference out there of such a machine without the refueling probe? I like the smoother line of the all white scheme. 

Thanks in advance

Sean

If I may use this topic to pose a genuine question (more actually 😀) about the Vulcan : were the machines build from the start either as a Blue Steel carrier, or either for free fall bombs ? Could a BS carrier be re-configured to carry bombs, en vice-versa ? Were squadrons equipped with only BS carriers, or with a mix of BS and bomb-carrying planes ?

Thanks

Marc

I agree with Mark that it's XM575. I did a screen grab of the first picture, flipped it then changed it to a negative image:

0ba5d2d3-d88f-4c59-bc0f-22779ecd7545.jpg

This is a trick I was taught when looking at engine borescope images to help in locating a fine crack and has proved useful in teasing out details from photos with less than distinct clarity!

HTH

Jonathan

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MarcB said:

If I may use this topic to pose a genuine question (more actually 😀) about the Vulcan : were the machines build from the start either as a Blue Steel carrier, or either for free fall bombs ? Could a BS carrier be re-configured to carry bombs, en vice-versa ? Were squadrons equipped with only BS carriers, or with a mix of BS and bomb-carrying planes ?

Good question, and just to get the ball rolling really.

My understanding is that only 27, 83 and 617 Squadron operated the Blue Steel Vulcans.

The first 25 Vulcan B.2s were non Blue Steel capable, XL317-321, XL359-361, XL392, XL425-427, XL443-446, XM569-576, and XM594-595 were the Vulcans built equipped for Blue Steel, XL384-390 were converted to do so.

All surviving Vulcans from that list were re-roled to conventional bombing configuration after the loss to the RAF of the Nuclear Deterrence role at the end of 1970.

Strangely, unlike the Victor (B.2BS), Blue Steel capable Vulcans didn't seem to be designated as such.

23 hours ago, XV571 said:

This is a trick I was taught

And this is a trick I'm gonna steal! Thanks for sharing, I might even be able to use it at work too.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2020 at 14:09, 71chally said:

There is such a machine in this line up, unfortunately I can't make out the serial but looks like an XM..., it seems to be the only 301 powered Vulcan there.  Note the picture is back to front!

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205214803

Probably XM575

On 22/08/2020 at 21:26, 71chally said:

XM575 was a Blue Steel carrier, but without delving in books I'm not sure if there are any picture with it on.

I've not seen any from below showing the reg XM575 with blue steel, but there's probably a picture out there somewhere though. 

Edited by Adam Poultney

On 22/08/2020 at 22:58, XV571 said:

This is a trick I was taught when looking at engine borescope images to help in locating a fine crack and has proved useful in teasing out details from photos with less than distinct clarity!

HTH

Jonathan

that is clever!

On 23/08/2020 at 12:45, 71chally said:

The first 25 Vulcan B.2s were non Blue Steel capable, 

XA903 (b1) and XH539 were used in Blue steel development. 

On 23/08/2020 at 12:45, 71chally said:

Strangely, unlike the Victor (B.2BS), Blue Steel capable Vulcans didn't seem to be designated as such.

I've always found this odd. The Victor B.Mk.2R (aka B2(BS) ) did had a lot more refitting than the blue steel vulcan, I backdated an Airfix B.Mk.2R to the final B.Mk.2 built, and there's a surprising number of minor modifications to make, even then XM714-718 (I modelled 718) all had some of the B.Mk.2R features from the factory even before their refit

• 2 weeks later...

So, as I had already made the, 201 engin cuts, it will be a machine with nose probe. Other than the fin reprofiling and nose thimble removal, are there any other lumps, and bumps on the Airfix kit that need removing for an AFW early B2? 

Thanks for the help guys. This old kit is going to get her very well and better than, expected

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question. On the early AFW 201 engine machines, were the four pipes fitted to the underside of the nacelle? The Afix kit is a bit vague here. I believe only one ECM plate was fitted between the stsrbouad nacelle only? 

Cheers in advance

Sean

Edited by BushBrit66

2 minutes ago, BushBrit66 said:

Quick question. On the early AFW 201 engine machines, were the four pipes fitted to the underside of the nacelle? The Afix kit is a bit vague here. I believe only one ECM plate was fitted between the stsrbouad nacelle only? 

Cheers in advance

Sean

yep. All four pipes are fitted, and the ECM plate should only be on the right wing.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, 71chally said:

Good question, and just to get the ball rolling really.

My understanding is that only 27, 83 and 617 Squadron operated the Blue Steel Vulcans.

The first 25 Vulcan B.2s were non Blue Steel capable, XL317-321, XL359-361, XL392, XL425-427, XL443-446, XM569-576, and XM594-595 were the Vulcans built equipped for Blue Steel, XL384-390 were converted to do so.

All surviving Vulcans from that list were re-roled to conventional bombing configuration after the loss to the RAF of the Nuclear Deterrence role at the end of 1970.

What free fall weapons were the other sqns carrying? Am I right in thinking it would be Red Beard and/or Yellow Sun . I dont think the WE 177 came in till Blue Steel had gone ?