AH-1G “Pandora’s Box”

moviedrone

Tonight Matthew I will be building the Special Hobby 1/72 AH-1G Cobra helicopter designated “Pandora’s Box”. I had originally just ordered decals and paint masks from Hannants for the Revell rebox I already have, then realised it didn’t have all the parts I needed, so I just bought the the SH Over Vietnam kit as it wasn’t expensive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by moviedrone
spacing
  • Like 10

welcome along with an awesome Cobra!!!

gee it looks tore a nice looking model by the sprue shot, I see they even give you the initial and normal types of tail rotor as well.

Good luck with the build, look forward to following its progress.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich!

I have primed... exciting, I know! Used this matt black stuff from Autotek as everyone seemed to be out of Mr Surfacer Black. Bloody glad I have the Revell kit as backup as well, as I was cutting some sprue off the tiny vent that goes above the cockpit and when I snipped it flew off somewhere in the vicinity of the kitchen. Is there a modelling term for when that happens? Oh well, onward!

spacer.png

• Like 2

Lovely little piece of kit.  I've really enjoyed building this one.  Reasonable detail.  Fine panel lines.  Parts just fit...minimal fussing about.  I don't recall any issues aside using care when you get to the decal stage.  They are very thin, and if the area isn't wet enough when you put them down, they are very susceptible to tearing.  But as long as you keep the area sufficiently wet, they are quite workable with some care.

Were you planning the early or late Pandora?

On 26/08/2020 at 21:15, helios16v said:

Lovely little piece of kit.  I've really enjoyed building this one.  Reasonable detail.  Fine panel lines.  Parts just fit...minimal fussing about.  I don't recall any issues aside using care when you get to the decal stage.  They are very thin, and if the area isn't wet enough when you put them down, they are very susceptible to tearing.  But as long as you keep the area sufficiently wet, they are quite workable with some care.

Were you planning the early or late Pandora?

Early - have a set of Print Scale decals for it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I've been working on other things and I wanted to wait until the pilots showed up, which they did. Sadly not 100% intact, as a part of one of the seats had broken off, so I ended up sawing off the seat back and replacing it with the kit one. They're all drying now and ready for painting and hopefully can get this bird up in the air soon.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Figures aren't done yet, need to do seatbelts and a bit more detailing but they're not far off. Had to cut the pilot (left) arm off to move it and will likely have to shave some off so he can fit in the cockpit, as they're designed to be in it with the canopy open, but I'm doing it closed. But that's why it looks gnarly.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Yeah, they are pretty vague in places.  Then they don't bother pointing out which optional bits are required for which scheme which makes things slightly frustrating (and why I had to change mine on the fly...and it may very well still be wrong :D).  It was a solid little kit otherwise.  Just a bit of stopping, double checking, and test fitting to make sure you don't back yourself into corner.

• Thanks 1