Tamiya Spitfire Mk.1 1/48

May I present my latest build, Tamiya's new tool Spitfire Mk.1 displayed as N3290 as piloted by F/O John Gillies. This aircraft was shot down near Boulogne on the 23rd May 1940 with Gillies being captured alongside S/L Roger Bushell who was also shot down in the engagement. 

As plenty of others have mentioned the fit of the kit was very good, I only had a slight issue when attaching the front part of the canopy which had a slight overhang on the starboard side. I also struggled to attach the armoured windscreen cleanly which unfortunately has a smear mark where you can see the Kristel Clear. Apart from that an enjoyable build. 

All painted with Tamiya paints, I used Marty Sandford's dark earth mix 4:XF-52, 2:XF-3, 1:XF-51, 1:XF-2.  and dark green straight out of the pot. I had done some pre-shading and mottling but this has largely been hidden, so after the flory wash I used oils to add shading and some slight weathering. 

I also got carried away with my masking and painted an extra walk line on the starboard wing so sorry to you Spit enthusiasts! I also wasn't sure if the underside of the stabilisers should have been aluminium or black and white- my brief research seemed a bit inconclusive so I went for the black and white.

Really pleased with how its turned out, I especially like the style of the fuselage roundels with the small red circle which really makes the white part jump. Looks the part next to the 109 and Hurricane. Eduards Fw-109 A4 next. 

IMG_6126

IMG_6127

IMG_6128

IMG_6129

IMG_6131

IMG_6132

IMG_6134

IMG_6135

IMG_6137

IMG_6141

And a bit of fun:

IMG_6150

IMG_6152

IMG_6153

• Like 62
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi ! 
Love it! Perfect and no overdone weathering! Very cool!

Cheers Andy 

Thanks Andy, yes I was very restrained on the wing root weathering particularly! the brush was practically twitching in my hand 😀

Edited by GRK

That does look superb GRK, great paintwork and the weathering looks lovely and in scale, nicely believable battleworn look. Just starting the Airfix mk.1 at the moment so will be interested to see what that looks like complete, but also opens a hole in the stash for either the Tamiya or new Eduard mk.1 😉

Luvverly! Perfect colors and weathering, too. I know the new-tool Tamiya kit is outstanding to begin with, but you have taken it to another level. I like everything about this build, and BTW, that's a very nice Hurricane, as well! Wish the Big T would take this one down to 1/72 scale to replace their original Mk 1a release, like they've done with some of their other new-tool quarter scale kits. Well done!

Mike

BTW, you most likely already had this reference, but just in case....

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/72742-spitfire-mk1a-zp-a-k9953-underside/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautifully built, painted and weathered. The cockpit detail really got my attention!

Thank you. The Tamiya photoetch IP is great, very nicely detailed- the whole build is OOB

3 hours ago, stoohoo said:

That does look superb GRK, great paintwork and the weathering looks lovely and in scale, nicely believable battleworn look. Just starting the Airfix mk.1 at the moment so will be interested to see what that looks like complete, but also opens a hole in the stash for either the Tamiya or new Eduard mk.1 😉

Thanks! I haven't had a go at the Airfix Spit but the Hurricane was a nice build. I didn't realise that Eduard was releasing a MK1 otherwise I might have held out for the rivet details. I did try a bit of riveting on this build but I only went lightly over the plastic as I really struggle keeping the lines straight. 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Luvverly! Perfect colors and weathering, too. I know the new-tool Tamiya kit is outstanding to begin with, but you have taken it to another level. I like everything about this build, and BTW, that's a very nice Hurricane, as well! Wish the Big T would take this one down to 1/72 scale to replace their original Mk 1a release, like they've done with some of their other new-tool quarter scale kits. Well done!

Mike

BTW, you most likely already had this reference, but just in case....

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/72742-spitfire-mk1a-zp-a-k9953-underside/

Thank you very much and glad you like the Hurricane too. Thanks for the reference link also- according to the drawing in the link it seems like it may not even have had roundels underneath either?! Never mind, live and learn! 

15 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

That is just LOVELY. Finish and, especially, the weathering are first class. And I'm not seeing any Kristal Kleer smudges. Particularly liked the spinning prop; just made me grin ('cos I know how that feels!!).

Thanks Andrew. I think I've 'subconsciously' not taken a picture which shows the smudge in its full glory😏. I couldn't resist the spinning prop shot!

13 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

72Modeler said it all and I heartily agree with him.  The  paintwork on this Spitfire is top notch, well done.

Thank you very much. 

12 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Superb build. Lovely finish and weathering. That dark earth formula looks spot on to me.

Thank you. I was pleased with how the dark earth came out- I've just bought some MRP paints for the FW 190 build up next but also stocked up on their dark earth and dark green which I'll try out on the Lancaster (1/72) that's in the stash. Interested to see how they compare