M49 Fuel Tanker

JeroenS

Looking real nice and sharp as usual @JeroenS . Also the 'business end' of the fuel tank is well done and those small decals add a ton of interest.

Oh and if you're struggling with truck decals - it's good thing that your interest is not a cold war/modern era jet fighters. I mean those planes can be literally covered in all kinds of decals and little stencils... :P 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, reini said:

Oh and if you're struggling with truck decals - it's good thing that your interest is not a cold war/modern era jet fighters. I mean those planes can be literally covered in all kinds of decals and little stencils... :P 

I try to avoid decals whenever I can get away with it .... maybe for that reason I just don't get enough practice 🙂 

• Like 1

Oh, bugger... As usual I managed to ruin another one... I had 2 number markings left to place on the side of the hood... and now I have only one. They're quite thin, these decals, and one end folded over onto itself and what I did I couldn't get it to fold back... After some fruitless effort my normally mild temper got the better of me and that was it. 😡

Model companies should provide some spares on their sheets... for people like me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Its not just you Jeroen, I have done the same thing many times and only been saved by having something similar in the spares box.

Thanks... I do feel better now 🙂

Unfortunately, in this case I don't have any spares because these are the first 1/35 US Army kits I've done. I was very short on markings anyway because the Gun Truck was the only one with Vietnam era markings. I think I'll go and find a Dutch supplier who can print me a bunch of these truck numbers. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Right! It's been over two months 😳

This build got seriously stalled back in September. At first because of the decal issues. I spent quite a bit of time looking for options online, and then I just had too much information and became undecisive. Eventually I purchased the generic letter and number sets from Archer Dry Transfers to be able to make some "ID tags" myself. However, I kept putting actually using these sets off, like you do when you're not sure of what the result will be... 

Also, Heller Classic GB started and I got stuck there, I started a build of what turned out to be a really nice kit so it got my attention for a while, and on top of that during that time I was almost completely away from the bench for about 6 weeks because in that time we managed to buy a new place and sell our current house. We'll be starting the house move on February 1st, some remodelling will need to be done and we'll actually move in there at the end of March. But now it's quiet for a couple of months so I should be able to finish my Heller build and hopefully this one and the gun truck as well! 

So, this morning I started on finishing the decals on the cab. I still had one set of wet transfer numbers left so I applied that one first, along with the "US Army" marking. It probably needs a bit more Microsol but I'll let it dry first. 

20201129103737-4abba0dc-me.jpg

Then I took a deep breath and started on the Dry Transfers. The font is off but I'm past caring, I'm actually quite happy that I have some numbers on! These Archer transfers work really well, I have to say. In the end it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although it's a bit difficult to get everything lined up and spaced correctly but I think I managed quite well. I'll definitely be using them on the gun truck as well. Of course, me being a bit of a doofus at times, when I had applied the numbers I saw that I should have used the stencil type numbers!!! So after they were all applied I carefully cut away some of the material in the middle and now it sort of looks OK. 

20201129103735-7dbbd842-me.jpg

Anyway, I'm just happy that this build is underway again and I hope to get more done today. 

• Like 5

Tanker and cab are now officially joined to the chassis, so we're actually getting somewhere. I've done a "us army" on the front bumper with the dry transfers so it wouldn't look so empty. 

20201129134720-726607ed-me.jpg

I did have a decal set for US bumper codes and I took some of those for markings at the back. The markings come from a reference photo, but the truck ID is from the gun truck so it's a bit of a mess, marking wise. So for those who care about that stuff: sorry!

20201129134718-46d33e3f-me.jpg

Edited by JeroenS
Forgot the last picture
  • Like 6

Really glad to see this one back in business Jeroen.

I know what you mean about being wary of trying out something different modelling wise but you have used the dry tansfers now and used them very well so you have nothing to fear from them in the future.

This really is looking fantastic and I look forward to your next update.

• Like 1

nice to see you back with us....

gee she looks good with some decals on!!

She looks like she now needs a nice bath....of mud! Are you going to weather her up?

I have sheets of old transfer letters somewhere, they're 40 something years old (maybe closer to 50!!) and strangely for the most part they still are ok to use.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice to see you back with us....

gee she looks good with some decals on!!

She looks like she now needs a nice bath....of mud! Are you going to weather her up?

I have sheets of old transfer letters somewhere, they're 40 something years old (maybe closer to 50!!) and strangely for the most part they still are ok to use.

Thanks Rich. Yes there will be at least some dust on her. I'm still thinking about how and what. I've rescued my compressor and air tank from the cold and damp shed, but I think I may have a place in mind to do some mild airbrushing in the house. Just some water based stuff at low pressure, I think it should work. We're moving out in a couple of months anyway 😉

• Like 2

Two things were done since last time. One was easy, the other not so 🙂 

First, I gave it a matt coat using Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish which was recommended by some forum members. It was the first time I used it and I was happy with it, altough the coat was not completely to my liking yet. I will thin it some more next time I use it and give it some more coats. As it was now, I finished up with a couple of brushed coats of Vallejo's Matt Varnish because I didn't feel like firing up the compressor again in my improvised booth in the attic. It is very nice and flat now, I'm sure that next time the W & N will give me a good result in one go. 

20201204132529-0cc5ed43-me.jpg

20201204132529-5bb22901-me.jpg

You will also note that it's standing on rubber. This was the part that was not very easy, and I already saw that coming for a while. It was not a good idea to glue on the wheels so early. It did make the glueing and painting a lot easier but the fixing of the tyres... not so much. The rubber tyres are really tough and not easily fixed to the rims at all! So I had to "amputate" all the wheels first. It wasn't pretty! It took some work to clean up the former joints and it took some more work to get them all attached correctly again but luckily I managed. 

A lesson learned for the next one... Aw cr*p the wheels are already glued on that one as well! 

• Like 3

Time to see where we are exactly. I think a finish is feasible for this weekend. 

Apart from seats and roof we have more interior stuff like the steering wheels and gear stick and such. Some tools but they are not represented on the fueler so they will go into the spares box. The mirror assemblies which look quite intricate. And some attributes for the tanker like nozzles, the hose and fire extinguishers. And a baggie of clear parts which was late for the photo. 

20201204193207-e6c6c396-me.jpg

Let's get to work!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

If you're worried you mightn't make it on time then maybe a special wish to Santa or me might help!     :D

I already subtly hinted at an extension a couple of weeks ago 😇

• Like 1

Very kind of our hosts to extend the GB 🙂 ... We can take a little more time for everything. 

Today I started with weathering. This is a great build to gain some more experience. I'm going for a dusty look which makes the most sense. I'd expect the vehicles to be maintained but dirty. Not worn out, chipped or anything. They must have had gallons and gallons of OD paint handy and repairs were obviously done. However, 1 trip up and down the base and dust would be everywhere I suppose. In the dry season that is. So, dust it is but not too much, I still want to see the actual vehicle underneath 🙂 

I started with oil paint, I have some of those Mig oilbrushers which are really nice. The cap has a small brush attached and you can apply a little paint in dots or in a line and then use turpentine to work it. It takes a while to dry so you can keep going back. I recently bought a bottle of W & N non-smelly turpentine which is a great improvement over the regular household stuff! I used it for the first time today. It makes the paint dry a little faster too. Excellent stuff, well recommened. 

20201206095320-8cddacfa-me.jpg

It takes only a little paint to create a bit of streaking effect and also the "dust" settles nicely along edges and such. 

20201206095322-25033908-me.jpg

20201206095322-5ede5eab-me.jpg

20201206095321-9e6510a2-me.jpg

I think I'll add a little more later, but first I really need to get going on the interior and the rest of the small stuff. I usually have to force myself to finish those items but I gear up when the finish line is getting closer. 

• Like 4

OK that's the interior finished. The kit does not provide much in the way of decals for the dashboard (there is an AM set by the way) but I don't really mind as not much will be seen eventually. I haven't done anything special to the interior for the same reason. 

20201206173847-bd385e15-me.jpg

And with the roof on (dry fitted)

20201206173847-c5e31502-me.jpg

it's starting to look like something. 

20201206173846-5b25a283-me.jpg

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

it's starting to look like something.

I think the word you are looking for is 'truck'. Its starting to look like truck :P

I like your initial weathering, very nice effect! 

• Haha 2

Thanks to the GB extension I didn't have to work so hard today  ... but still I managed to get a good result. The windows are in (there are side windows as well but I'm not using them) and the roof is glued on. Also, a dab of orange and red in the correct places. 

20201206212137-f7580f8b-me.jpg

20201206212136-14ab03df-me.jpg 

My next moves will be:

- hose and nozzle

- mirrors

- fire extinguishers

And then there will be no more parts to put on. Oh, and do something about the winch, add some chain or something.

I will put the rear doors back in, in the closed position, and then I'll spray Vallejo dirt and dust washes, heavier on the underside and lighter as I go up. Then final weathering on the tyres, pump mechanism, exhaust. Mainly those parts. 

Final move: glue in the rear doors, in the opened position. 

Then: gun truck!

My third build, the M35 cargo truck, will be a non-starter... Too bad. But, as some meaty guy once sang, two out of three ain't bad. 

• Like 1

great work with the weathering, looks great, will have to have a go at using oils. Have tried a couple of times, but never really had a good result.

2 out of 3!!!!!!!  :fight:

Lucky for you the 2 more than make up for 3....... or there'd be trouble! :D

• Haha 2