M49 Fuel Tanker

JeroenS

As I said I want to keep the rear doors opened... Too bad there's an abundance of pin marks on the insides... This kit gets a 1 for pin marks!

20200907162727-f1f11f58-me.jpg

This is round 2 of filling, round 1 wasn't to my liking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love the smell of Olive Drab in the evening. I primed (Mr Surfacer Black) and painted (XF-62) the chassis this afternoon. A painted chassis always looks nice. I like the colour too, I don't use it all that much. Actually, I think this was the first time. 

20200907193437-275949b5-me.jpg

Just so you can tell it's really been painted. 

20200907193437-23f59526-me.jpg

The back of the tanker has also been painted, so I can finish up back there and paint the tank. 

Also, I found there was some more stuff to add to the cab so I'm still busy with that. 

20200907194156-95ddddbc-me.jpg

I think I'll just add everything to it, including mirrors and such, and paint it all in one go. It's all OD anyway. I'll just have to be careful when handling it. 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is a lovely smooth looking coat of paint Jeroen, really nice.

Courtesy of Mr Color Levelling Thinners 😉 

58 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The PE on the cab makes a big difference.

Right, it's only 2 pieces but they did manage to find the ones that add to the look. I personally like that exhaust shield a lot. 

• Like 1

I had a quick painting session yesterday and put primer on a lot of parts. 

20200911091149-a08d3268-me.jpg

The bottom halves of the furniture got a lick of green after that, as did the jerrycan. Cab and wheels will get sprayed green later on, I'll paint the cab cover and the seats with the brush. 

Also, according to plan, I glossed the rear of the tanker unit as well as the pump assembly so they can be decalled. I primed and "greened" the tanker's rear panel door frame and the insides of the doors. I'll put everything in and close up using PVA on the doors. Then I'll paint the outside of the tanker as a whole, after which I'll pry out the doors and glue them in the open position. Well, that's the plan anyway!

20200911091149-2755dfc2-me.jpg

• Like 8

@JeroenS I've lost count how many trucks have you done during the time I've been trying to build my first one :D 

Looking real good - neat job as usual :) I've been using PVA glue to shut canopies that I wanted to open up later too. Well, actually I use PVA glue even I  don't want to open them up later. Works great in the low-stress areas that might get damaged from the glue fumes and it also acts as a quick & easy filler, just wipe the excess with your finger.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, reini said:

@JeroenS I've lost count how many trucks have you done during the time I've been trying to build my first one :D 

Well... not as many as the number of planes you built in the time it took for me to write this post 😇

• Haha 5

This afternoon I placed the decals on the pump assembly and glued it to the inside of the tanker, after placing two pieces of the supplied hose which you can see against the tanker wall. 

20200912185220-b1f8cd06-me.jpg

After that I could glue in the rear wall and door frame.  A little bit of sanding needs to be done on the join to take the edge off, but it's minor stuff really, the fit is good.

20200912185220-06a3b179-me.jpg

And this is how it will get painted. At first I wanted to use PVA to keep the doors in place but it turns out they're really tight so I don't have to do anything about it. 

20200912185219-c79985f4-me.jpg

Painting session tomorrow!

• Like 7

Everything has now been painted. 

20200913154817-b4470aa1-me.jpg

I think I'm going to need another bottle of OD if I'm doing three trucks... Next, gloss, decals, assemble, weather. Getting there!

• Like 7

All glossed up and nowhere to go... 

Well... everything has received a coat of X-22 and is ready for decals. 

20200915094006-505d8ffa-me.jpg

Speaking of decals... They are a bit scarce... These are all the decals I have for 3 trucks. 

20200915094005-611aa6ab-me.jpg

The tanker has the most but most of them are for ROC markings. The gun truck has some white numbers and a couple of white five pointed stars (they're all hiding for the photo). The regular cargo truck has a small amount of markings. 

This is what I want for my fueler. 

20200915094511-7c324518-me.jpg

But that's not possible. I've ordered a set of US Army fueler markings which should solve that issue for a big part. I'll steal the five pointed stars from the gun truck. I'm thinking to paint the gun truck black with only a couple of markings, lots of them were like that. Maybe I'll just skip the "Nancy" bit too and go all black (wasn't there a song about that? 🙂). So most of the decals will go to the fueler, and I'll divide the rest between the other two. 

• Like 7

First decal session... I definitely have a love / hate relationship with decals, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I mean they sure add a lot to a build but I usually kill one or two of them and that's aggravating when you had just enough!

For instance... I only had three 5 pointed stars (stolen, I mean tacticly acquired, from the gun truck) and I planned one on the rear doors of the tanker... but of course I managed to totally ruin the first one. So I had to find something else, it worked out OK in the end. And if I hadn't mentioned it nobody would have noticed of course. 

20200921214003-d5c0bae7-me.jpg

Too bad I only had 2 of the larger "flammable" decals, but this is not bad.

20200921214003-7c1f0f27-me.jpg

At least I redeemed myself with the 5 pointed stars I had left. It's still a bit wrinkly from the Microsol, I only just put it on. 

20200921214002-9528da5f-me.jpg

I'll do some more over the next couple of days.

• Like 7

I couldn't resist checking on the rear doors so in a spare moment I tried to take them off. No problems at all and no paint leaks on the insides at all. It looks rather smart like this, I think I'll add some "look out!" decals on the insides of the doors to make them more interesting. 

20200922105132-54ac8dad-me.jpg

• Like 10