M49 Fuel Tanker

JeroenS

I think I like this one even more then the standard "Deuce". The kit was a lot harder to get in fact. 

20200622143536-da1bb7a3.jpg

I'll be starting my Deuce first as a warm-up for this one. 

• Like 9

arrr ah Truck-man is here!!!  :yahoo:

I've been looking forward to you showing up and seeing what lovelies you've bought along.

A great workhorse for your first choice, will be very interesting to see what you do with this model.

Good luck with this build, I know there are many like me who have been waiting to follow another one of your wonderful builds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Good luck with this build, I know there are many like me who have been waiting to follow another one of your wonderful builds.

Hm, no pressure, right 😉 

I'll do my best but rest assured, I will be using the parts from the box this time 🙂 

• Like 2

As I have explained in the M35 build thread I'll be building this one first. I have 6 weeks for both trucks so when I've finished the Tanker I'll make up my mind about what to do with the Deuce... gun truck or cargo. 

But first: the Tanker. I like it because it's different. I'll have to look into the markings though. AFV Club have given me marking options for ROC Army, ROC Marines, USMC (Desert Storm) and USMC. However, I'd like a Vietnam OD version. Paint shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know about unit markings and such. I could go the mud option of course and strategically hide them. 

Anyway let's just start the build first and see what happens. 

OK... I normally don't do sprue shots but I know you aircraft guys have the hots for them so I'll indulge you .... Juuuust having a little fun here guys 😇

This is actually my first AFV Club kit. The moulding looks very crisp and detailed. The engine in this kit doesn't seem to be very detailed but I don't really mind, it will not be visible. Bulk of the chassis parts on the first sprue. 

20200823082929-18391f6b-me.jpg

Various cab parts... 

20200823082928-64af5af1-me.jpg

And parts for the tanker. Whoops another pair of chassis beams, @reini I'm going to have to take a good look at the instructions this time 🙂 

This one has a definite warp in it though, as you can see. I hope this doesn't mean trouble. 

20200823082929-2f22eb8c-me.jpg

Finally the tanker bed, wheels and a baggy with clear parts, decals, rubber hose and a PE grill which is nice. 

20200823082930-7cb3f412-me.jpg

Alright... Lock 'n load!

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That does look like a very nicely moulded kit.

It's a '90's tooling so taking that into account it's definitely pretty good. Detail is sufficient, bit of flash here and there, and some mould lines but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't spend a lot of time cleaning up. I do spend time figuring out the instructions though, modern kits have come a long way in that area. They are of the "photocopied drawing" type, and it's not always clear what part goes where. 

20200823125725-9474e9e2-me.jpg

I was wondering about part A61 in particular, and as subsequent drawings don't show this part very well so I took a bit of a gamble. I hope it does't come back to haunt me in step 50. 

The build sequence is not ideal in my opinion. I would like to make sure I have a straight and true chassis before I start adding stuff like the tandem rear axles. But the build has you here before the opposite chassis beam is attached. 

20200823125726-7241b668-me.jpg

To be fair, I think it did come out pretty straight so it's probably ok. 

20200823125726-49e8a0a4-me.jpg

20200823125727-a5d9ad05-me.jpg

On to the front axle now. 

• Like 7

That's the chassis complete. 

20200823182949-2974c569-me.jpg

OK so about that engine... there is no engine! What I thought were parts for the engine was just the transmisson. The underside of the cab has some engine detail moulded on and that's it. It's a curbside model!

20200823182949-898150c2-me.jpg

Some nice detail on some of the parts, like this fuel tank. 

20200823182948-9c9e5e2a-me.jpg

Next up is the cab. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That was quick!

Looks nice too. That fuel tank has nice detailing.

Thanks, it builds well enough and I'm getting a bit of practice in for next weekend's Blitz Build 😉 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, reini said:

Good job on following the instructions ;) 

Looking good - and that was a fast job! I really need to get my truck done too...

Yes, you do... But how are you going to squeeze it in between 5 migs? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, reini said:

Oi! You owe me a beer.

As it happens, I spent last Friday in our local brewery, brewing! That was fun. It's a small scale operation, they brew a couple of days per week and I helped brew 50 liters of "Blond" beer in truly "artisinal" fashion. I was allowed to buy 24 bottles of it, which of course I did, and it will be ready to drink in 8 weeks so you're invited. If you happen to be in the neighbourhood, just drop by 😉 

But don't wait too long 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, helios16v said:

So the real reason for a tanker build has been revealed.  :lol:

Sounds like it's a truck building party @ Jeroen's in 8 weeks!

Ha! It's always truck building party at my place 😎

I thought I'd assemble the cab this evening. This is about as far as I got: 

20200825214720-2f7febf7-me.jpg

The sides... well... I try to avoid filling whenever I can, but these here pin marks are a bit much even for me. 

20200825214720-57d6704b-me.jpg

That's a lot of pin marks. 

20200825214719-0a43c253-me.jpg

It's not what I would have liked but hey, my mama always said life is like a box of chocolates... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, diases said:

Watching with interest.

And spotting the differences between the 2.5T and 5T😀

Paul

I hope your pin marks aren't twice the size 🙂