High Planes GAF Canberra Mk20

Graeme H

OK, I will start this kit which has been in my stock inventory for quite a few years now, box got damaged during storage, but contents all OK, I seem to have lent some decals to someone, hopefully the RAAF ones of Vietnam are all there.

DSCN3507.jpg

I have some aftermarket engine fronts, and RAAF specific wing tip bombs and mounts along with some PE aerials, and another decal sheet from Model Alliance

DSCN3508.jpg

The contents

DSCN3509.jpg

I recently saw I had a CMK U/C bay resin for the Airfix Canberra, so will get that out also, see if it's any good for this build

• Like 13

• Graeme H changed the title to High Planes GAF Canberra Mk20

welcome along Graeme, and with an aircraft I was just talking about of another thread.

This just about completes the Canberra/B-57's used during the Vietnam way. I was really hoping someone would build on of these. :thumbsup:  The main model looks quite basic but you have lots of  lovely resin though!! :wub: Plus some nice little extras to go with it.

Good luck with the build, I hope it's a trouble free one.

• Like 2

Hi Craig,

Looks like we might be up to 4 or even 5 now - Canberra B.20 of the RAAF, at least 1 and perhaps 2 B-57B, an RB-57F and my B-57G with hints of another G to follow - perhaps we should have a seperate "sub-gallery"for EE's finest. I gather the gallery will be split by date anyway though not sure how as there is no sign of it being set up yet, or was that just Rich thinking ahead?😁 Given how fast some of these guys/gals build we might see the first entry before long! When I decided to enter my "G" I had no idea that this not very well known machine would be so popular! We seem to be a little short of Thuds and Huns at the moment but I imagine that will change before long.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

I thought I would try out the Pavla Undercarriage update set for the Airfix Canberra, 

so cut off the HPM one on one wing and attached the Pavla one, fit was really good, and improves the look by about 110%

DSCN3510.jpg

Will do the other wing today, this juggling GB's can get a bit interesting, need to get back to the Hurricane. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

OK, fitted the basic interior, lots of fettling was required,  the big problem, is nothing was square, don't really care as not much of anything is visible in a Canberra anyway.

DSCN3527.jpg

You will note the rear bulkhead has been severely cut back to take the nosewheel bay, there was no other way, I call this the Swan theory of modelling, in that it will look elegant on the outside, but not underneath.

DSCN3528.jpg

DSCN3529.jpg

I cut out the Canopy only took about 30 mins :blink:, it's just sitting there at the moment waiting for the 50 shades of black and grey that will adorn the insides after I make an effort to add some detail.

DSCN3530.jpg

to infinity and beyond

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Not spending a lot of time on this at the moment as I try to get another GB one done with a very tight deadline.

So painted the interior Humbrol 32, which gives that dusty shade of black that suits it.

DSCN3532.jpg

DSCN3716.jpg

The EJ Seat, just needs the pull handles still

DSCN3717.jpg

and just because I found it when looking for something else, a Bomb Loader, now I need to find the rest of it 

DSCN3720.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One glaring fault with this kit, and I have found also with the S&M kit is they don't do the Nav lights on the Wingtips, the Airfix B (I)8 kit does, but I sold it on years ago, so have to make my own, normally not a big job, except EE decided that the need to have an odd shape.

So the basic plastic added

DSCN3725.jpg

OK, both now done.

DSCN3727.jpg

I now need to get on with the Engine fronts which need the 3 Cartridge starter vents, another job that is really exasperating as nobody I know has ever done it properly, probably something for 3D printing, which is way beyond my skill set.

31453622-1735982126455611-74853601211999

Canberra-A84-236-Perth-1882-Photo-David-

They are quite prominent, and do need to be done

• Like 3

nice work on the tip lights, doing it as you did is the only way to go, and they look great.

Not seeing what you have to work with for the intakes, but maybe an easy (and less frustrating) way to show the cartridge vets would be to use black decals cut to size. Trying to do tiny rectangular holes in that scale is really difficult!!!

Interestingly as a side note when i was at 6 Sqn I use to have all the old recon stuff from our Canberra's on my charge.  Was a pain to check off all the time, but boy there was some interesting stuff there....gosh knows where it ended up.......though knowing the RAAF some poor bugger still has it on his charge!  :D

• 1 month later...

Moving at a slower than glacial pace, despite the extension that Santa Enzo has given us, I doubt I will get this over the finish line, suffering from mojo retardation, but carrying on as best I can.

So, needed to put the Tailplanes on before I put the fuselage together, so I needed to drill out the place for the tab to go through, so used a hand drill and gang drilled

oh what a pain.

DSCN3740.jpg

Decided that drilling and filing out to get them to fit was just a waste of time, so decided to go the industrial method as the plastic is very thick in this area, did this in about 5 mins compared to the hour I spent on the hand drill method.

DSCN3741.jpg

I need someone to tell me now what angle the tailplanes are set at.

I can't decide if I will open up under the tailplanes, but I'm thinking that life is too short and can't figure how I would achieve it anyway with the thickness of the plastic, so doubt it will get done.

I might look at maybe cutting it out with a Dremel, or the current preferred method, maybe just ignore it.

I note that @Trickyricky21 says  the starter vents are Square, the HPM resin has round holes, anyone have close up photo?

• Like 2