Mi-24A Hind tail

Supertom

Hi everyone,

Is the tail of the Mi-24A Hind supposed to be offset with a "twist?" I got the Zvezda kit a few years ago, and in a damaged box. It sat in my stash for a few years and I happened to pull it out to look at, and there was a twist in the tail boom, so that the tail ended up pointing to port that I assumed was a molding flaw but when I put the halves together it seemed to fit perfectly. I can't tell with any of the photos as I have not been able to find one of it looking straight up at the tail, and all of the 3/4 angle photos do not help.

spacer.png

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Supertom

There is a twist in it, and the fuselage leans 2 1/2 degrees to stb'd as well, so don't be alarmed if the whole thing looks odd!

PS, there are very good plans in the Mi-24 Hind book which is a free download on the 4Plus site, will post a link later.

Edit, here,

http://www.4pluspublications.com/Mi-24_4plus_Publication.pdf

Edited by 71chally

5 hours ago, mylo66 said:

What do the painting instructions show?

The painting instructions seem to show it to be completely vertical. It's the perfect fit of twist on the tail that throws me off.

The tail fin in plan view twists, so the trailing edge of it is well stb'd of centre.   The whole tail fin also leans over to stb'd to be aligned with the fuselage and rotor head etc.

I have got pictures looking straight down the rear, but they are not in my copywrite.

If you look at the plans I posted earlier you will see what I mean.

33 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The tail fin in plan view twists, so the trailing edge of it is well stb'd of centre.   The whole tail fin also leans over to stb'd to be aligned with the fuselage and rotor head etc.

I have got pictures looking straight down the rear, but they are not in my copywrite.

If you look at the plans I posted earlier you will see what I mean.

Hi James,

Yes, I checked it up against the plans (and thank you so much!) Though what confuses me is that my tailfin appears to be leaning over to port!

spacer.png

Where confusion might come in is that the sub-assemblies might appear straight, but when they are all put together they should lean the right way.

I think the apparent lean to port of the fin is an optical illusion caused by the flair of the trailing edge of the fin, as from top to bottom it flares more to port.  Looking at mine I can see a similar effect.

The kit drawings do show the fin as straight, but they also depict the fuselage that way, which of course it isn't in reality.  Basically, everything aft of the cockpit bulkhead, and above the main cargo floor, leans 2 30 degs, so the main fuselage/boom, tailfin molding does look straight but won't be when finished.

One personal observation I have from looking carefully at photos, is that the tailplane leans slightly more (say 3 degs) than the fuselage and the wings, but it is hard to quantify.

There is nothing straight on a Hind and it's very difficult to work out in the mind with what aligns with other parts.

In short though, I doubt that your kit is damaged, if you think it is you will want to align it with the rest of the boom/fuselage, going very carefully with a warm water technique.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

Yes Supertom,

Having been inside and around the Hind, I can tell you that it definitely has a twins and lean in the tail and fuselage areas, respective my.  As my old friend Andre says, the Zvezda kit does properly portray these features. 

Nothing further to add as everybody else have covered things pretty well

Cheers,

WARDOG

21 hours ago, Hook said:

it's an anti-torque feature.

I saw this on a winged airplane recently and I cannot remember where...it might have been on a Corsair?  Would the motor have been offset slightly from the fuselage?  

Sorry...I don't mean to hijack your thread Supertom!

8 hours ago, John Masters said:

I saw this on a winged airplane recently and I cannot remember where...it might have been on a Corsair?  Would the motor have been offset slightly from the fuselage?  

AFAIK the most common way of countering torque on single prop aircraft is offsetting the vertical tail a few degrees. 

Cheers,

Andre

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

is offsetting the vertical tail

Yes...that was it.  Someone was building a Curtiss Hawk and noticed the tail was offset.  He thought it was a moulding issue.  Thanks for the memory jog!

15 hours ago, WARDOG said:

Yes Supertom,

Having been inside and around the Hind, I can tell you that it definitely has a twins and lean in the tail and fuselage areas, respective my.  As my old friend Andre says, the Zvezda kit does properly portray these features. 

Nothing further to add as everybody else have covered things pretty well

Cheers,

WARDOG

Zvezda offering is generic base fuselage for all the variants they have in the calogue minus the early A/D variants with the tail rotor on starboard side.

The only different parts are just the forward fuselage section and weaponry, everything else is common, now if you need to build certain variants you are looking into modify main rotor, change some panels here and there especially if you have the D parts from Eduard box, revise chaff/flare supports, reinforcement plates and interior stuff.

Luigi