The Century Fighters GB Chat

Dansk

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice. It takes me back to William Tell in 1980 :) I would have gone with the Montana and NJ markings but that’s me ;). The Big Sky Country machines always looked great :). And NJ? I remember standing at the “last chance” at Atlantic City and watching them ;). It’s a nostalgia thing for me :). 

Hi Martin, I'm intending to build the Montana 'six' in 1/48th, I have the Trumpy kit, plus Aires cockpit, Reskit resin wheels etc, etc.  Too much work for a GB before someone states the obvious.  :rofl:

I looked at a New Jersey build for the 106B but the tail emblem is different on the T birds, as I mentioned, so many superb paint schemes, so many models so little time. :shrug:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Martin, I'm intending to build the Montana 'six' in 1/48th, I have the Trumpy kit, plus Aires cockpit, Reskit resin wheels etc, etc.  Too much work for a GB before someone states the obvious.  :rofl:

👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm intending to build the Montana 'six' in 1/48th

Im dying watching all these Darts being built. Ive been looking for Montana decals and a  Two seat Dart forever to build 72530. Tail #21 

https://flightaware.com/photos/view/248147-2cc3e916ab3712bb6be69ba68f37d79373b5471d/staffpicksmonth/sort/date/page/1

• Like 2

On 19/06/2022 at 22:43, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im dying watching all these Darts being built. Ive been looking for Montana decals and a  Two seat Dart forever to build 72530. Tail #21 

You should have looked in my stash.  The Montana ANG decals for a two seater Dart are on Caracal F-106 of the ANG part one, sheet number 48060 from 2014. 

Although the F-106B they cover is number 18 I'm sure that would not be a problem, it's shown with the kit that it's for, the Trumpy 1/48th Delta Dart two seater.

IMG_1904

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

You should have looked in my stash.  The Montana ANG decals for a two seater Dart are on Caracal F-106 of the ANG part one, sheet number 48060 from 2014. 

Although the F-106B they cover is number 18 I'm sure that would not be a problem, it's shown with the kit that it's for, the Trumpy 1/48th Delta Dart two seater.

IMG_1904

Side # isn't actually an issue, I was just using #21 as an example. Id love to but the two seater also but at the moment its a bit out of budget. Usually I buy one or the other as I can then when everything is ready I throw it in the build pile. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Side # isn't actually an issue, I was just using #21 as an example. Id love to but the two seater also but at the moment its a bit out of budget. Usually I buy one or the other as I can then when everything is ready I throw it in the build pile. 

I didn't think the tail number would be a problem, I believe they removed the large numbers towards the end of the Darts time with the Montana ANG anyway.

After I saw a superb build on this site a few years ago, using the Caracal Montana ANG decals and Aires cockpit set I managed to get both the single and two seater kits and the Aires cockpits for both, I just need to bump them up the build pile before it's too late. :whistle:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I didn't think the tail number would be a problem, I believe they removed the large numbers towards the end of the Darts time with the Montana ANG anyway.

After I saw a superb build on this site a few years ago, using the Caracal Montana ANG decals and Aires cockpit set I managed to get both the single and two seater kits and the Aires cockpits for both, I just need to bump them up the build pile before it's too late. :whistle:

Montana operated both Deltas along with many other types. F-51D, F-86, F-89, F-15, and F-16. Currently I think they're operating transport’s or Refueler’s ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Montana operated both Deltas along with many other types. F-51D, F-86, F-89, F-15, and F-16. Currently I think they're operating transport’s or Refueler’s ? 

C-130 Hercules, tasked for heavy construction and repair.  Obviously everyone thought the threat from Russia was over and lots of air defence squadrons were no longer needed.  :whistle:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

C-130 Hercules, tasked for heavy construction and repair.  Obviously everyone thought the threat from Russia was over and lots of air defence squadrons were no longer needed.  :whistle:

Lots of the ANG air defence units went the same way, the Hooligans of ND went from F-16ADF's to Learjets 🤔

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/28/2022 at 9:03 AM, trickyrich said:

It really sounds like you lot are missing my every glowing and enlightening presences.....hmmmm  you know looking at my build schedule, there looks like there may be an opening around the time of this GB!!! :yahoo:  ......and I really don't have to really sell my Kinetic F-104G (well I might)... and I'm sure by then I'll have something to come annoy/join you with by then!

Century Fighters GB build mates!!!!! :yahoo:

I thought it was a bit quiet around here! where's rich and his century fighter? :fight:

• Haha 4

I really wouldn't hold your breath on me being able to build something here.....am really struggling to build anything at the moment.

In the last 3 weeks all I've done is gloss clear the F-15J (might have finally cracked a good clear finish) and a matt coat on my Macros YF-19, I have to finish these first. I've barely had a chance to even comment on the builds in my build... just a quick look through and that's it. ☹️

The old work bench has been taken over by feral Dust-bunnies!!!! :yikes:   One even tried to attack me with tweezers when I went to move something!!! :door:

That said it hasn't stopped me from buying stuff, another 1/35th Kitty Hawk MH-60L Blackhawk (for less than 1/2 the current going rate) and a Vintage Fighters (now Kinetic released) 1/24th P-47D Thunderbolt.... that thing is bloody HUGE!!!

But never say never about joining.....one of life's great pleasures is to annoy people! :tease:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Which of the options are you thinking of? The NASA bird would be great.

🇺🇦

Yes... Judging from the state of the decal, it seemed NASA version is the best option.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I really wouldn't hold your breath on me being able to build something here.

Don't worry Rich. It shouldn't be stressful but it's nice to know you're still out there.

ooh a 1/24 thunderbolt 🤗

18 hours ago, Lifeline said:

I found this when we're packing to move into our temporary house.

awesome, welcome along! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The NASA bird would be great.

+1. The nasa scheme is so special. deyellowing those in sunlight will help and hopefully they are unperished.

• Like 1

Talking of zippers, I have this in the stash, the 1/72nd Hasegawa F-104G plus some AM and the Daco decals that cover all the German Starfighters apart from the special and anniversary schemes.

Once I've finished my pair of six's it's either this or a pair of duces, the Meng kits, one each of the case X and case XX.

IMG_1918

The problem with this decal set is which scheme to make, I quite fancy the very early Luftwaffe machines, natural metal and white upper wings with the big Richthofen badges of JG 71 based at Wittmund from 1963.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Once I've finished my pair of six's it's either this or a pair of duces

Some fine choices Bob, though if I had to choose I would go with your Zipper.

Looks like you have everything for a great build and seeing a very early Luftwaffe machine in NMF and white wings would make a nice change from the camo ones.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks like you have everything for a great build and seeing a very early Luftwaffe machine in NMF and white wings would make a nice change from the camo ones.

I agree Craig, eventually I want to create all the different schemes.  The early scheme only lasted a year or so until the "Norm 62" scheme came in from 1964, this was applied to both the GAF and Marine zippers.  From 1968 the Marine zippers went to Basalt Grey over dull aluminium.  The last camouflage change only affected about 30 airframes when the "Norm 83" Lizard scheme was adopted from 1983, so a minimum of four German zippers.  :whistle:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I agree Craig, eventually I want to create all the different schemes.  The early scheme only lasted a year or so until the "Norm 62" scheme came in from 1964, this was applied to both the GAF and Marine zippers.  From 1968 the Marine zippers went to Basalt Grey over dull aluminium.  The last camouflage change only affected about 30 airframes when the "Norm 83" Lizard scheme was adopted from 1983, so a minimum of four German zippers.  :whistle:

Sounds great, which scheme had the splinter style, was it the 1968 or 1983 ? Id like to do one like that and the Aluminum scheme also. 

• Like 1

I have two F-104s in my line up for this year but I doubt they’ll get on the GB, sadly. I’m a little on the slow side and I currently have three builds on the shelf. Thereafter I will be tackling one of them - another YF-104A - combining an Italeri rear end and wings with a Hasegawa front. :). It looks like the other will end up being a CNAF G-model.

Martin

• Like 1