The Century Fighters GB Chat

Dansk

14 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks! Yeah, I reckon it should be fine too, but it's always good to ask! :) And this GB will be a great excuse to build it.

wow yes jason that qualifies nicely.

my that will be an interesting one to see being built!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll sign up for this one too if I may, just received this in the post this morning:

2021-12-09_01-45-12

I started one of these a few years ago but it never got finished and got disposed of in a house move, I remember it being a good build so hopefully I'll get this one finished.

I also have some Caracal decals on the way to enable me to finish it as a "Happy Hooligan" of the North Dakota ANG. (I'll update with a pic once they arrive)

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

I'll sign up for this one too if I may, just received this in the post this morning:

2021-12-09_01-45-12

I started one of these a few years ago but it never got finished and got disposed of in a house move, I remember it being a good build so hopefully I'll get this one finished.

I also have some Caracal decals on the way to enable me to finish it as a "Happy Hooligan" of the North Dakota ANG. (I'll update with a pic once they arrive)

Oh yes a true classic, both subject and kit.

I quite like the scheme on the box art but  "Happy Hooligans" one would be great too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

finish it as a "Happy Hooligan" of the North Dakota ANG

verrrrrrry nice 😎

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is it June yet???  :bounce:  

we are expecting at least four entries from you Enzo, so please ask santa for more kits

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is it June yet???  :bounce:  

No but January is coming and you can hang falling death off an F-100, -104, or -105 for the Bomber GB as practice ;) 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 8:54 AM, klr said:

One more vote. Finally, an excuse to build a Starfighter, or two, or three ... I haz quite a few Revell and Italeri (ex-ESCI) F-104 kits that are just sitting there looking at me, as if to say "Oi! Why haven't you built me yet?"

Bump. One A/C and one G seems like a reasonable plan. The Italeri boxings have lots of nice subject options: USAF, Jordan, Pakistan, ROC for the A/C, and Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Belgium for the G.

I have a couple of F-100s, F-101s, F-105s and an F-106 in the stash, as well as an F-107. If I build a 3rd kit, it will probably be the Hasegawa F-106, which I wanted to build for the Interceptor GB, but then decided not to. The Trumpeter/Monochrome F-107 might be more suited to the Prototypes, etc. GB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, klr said:

Bump. One A/C and one G seems like a reasonable plan. The Italeri boxings have lots of nice subject options: USAF, Jordan, Pakistan, ROC for the A/C, and Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Belgium for the G.

I have a couple of F-100s, F-101s, F-105s and an F-106 in the stash, as well as an F-107. If I build a 3rd kit, it will probably be the Hasegawa F-106, which I wanted to build for the Interceptor GB, but then decided not to. The Trumpeter/Monochrome F-107 might be more suited to the Prototypes, etc. GB.

Some great options there klr, the Starfighter certainly lends itself to multiple builds for GB's as in 1/72 they are quite quick builds. A Jordanian A would be nice as they aren't seen built that often, all your options for the G sound good. If you get the chance for a 3rd kit then the 106 would be a very nice choice and there are some quite colourful schemes for them too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, klr said:

great. well it all sounds good especially if you make 3. (WWEMD)

let’s see how things fit when june arrives. it’s gonna be fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend 1/72 decals for USAF or ANG F-101 VooDoo’s ? I received a Revell kit today for Christmas and its either USAF ANG, Active USAF, or RCAF ? If I can find decals it might get built here along with one or two other builds. If not will be in the Canadian build. 

28 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can anyone recommend 1/72 decals for USAF or ANG F-101 VooDoo’s ? I received a Revell kit today for Christmas and its either USAF ANG, Active USAF, or RCAF ? If I can find decals it might get built here along with one or two other builds. If not will be in the Canadian build. 

If I remember right Caracal do a couple of sets for Voodoo's in 1/48 with ANG options Dennis so I should think they might do them in 1/72 too.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Caracal do a couple of sets for Voodoo's in 1/48 with ANG options

Caracal do/did 1/72 versions 'CD 72011: Air National Guard F-101B' although their site shows sold out.  Also, some for the recon version still showing availability 'CD 72047: RF-101C Voodoo'.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some advice needed 

Back in the days of primary school we all did a lot of model collecting.  I say collecting rather than building as the building just involved sticking bits together with copious amounts of Britfix glue.  This was the very early 1960's and we were 9-10 years old.  Anyway one of my school chums showed me his new fighter that could,carry an "atom" bomb.  It was of course the F-105 Thunderchief which I had not seen before.  Odd I thought.  Doesn't look like a fighter - way too big.  Maybe its to a different scale then I thought?  And what fighter would carry a nuclear bomb - that's done by big bombers like Vulcans and Stratojets.  My friend had to be talking rubbish.  Lord knows what make the 1/72 kit was back then and what mark of Thud it was.  Such was my introduction to the F-105.  A mystery which only later I came to resolve, understand and respect.

Fast forward to six years ago when I got the notion to buy the 1/32 Trumpeter F-105 on a whim.  That means I got it cheap.  One was duly acquired and its sat there ever since.  It didn't even stagger as far as the shelf of doom.  I want to do justice to that 10 year old me and to Ricky so my original thoughts of doing a machine from "Nam" are long gone.  I want to copy his all silver bird. 

Anyway life and all that intervened and nothing has been done other than I have read the kit reviews and decided I'd push the boat out and get the AM stuff to fix some of the kit issues.

I had decided on an early "D" in the painted aluminium "Look Alike" days and I have a suitable set of decals from the stable of Mr Klaus.

Then that evil spirit that tempts modellers got in the way and I picked up a "Cutting Edge" F-105B conversion set cheap.  Well it would have been rude not to.

Magpie me has therefor collected the following to do different things at different times

Trumpy F-105

F-105 B Conversion set from CE - (twice as not paying attention - I think it was insurance against messing up first time round)

F-105 B/D open canopy correction set from CE

F-105 D Fuselage correction set from CE

F-105 B/D corrected rudder and from CE

Master pitot tube (twice as still not paying attention)

Fisher wheel set

Res/Kit wheel set

Quickboost air scoops

G-Factor brass legs

Aires Cockpit set (Yes I know it wont fit - they never do)

Quinta 3d cockpit decals

Eduard Big Ed set

Avionix wheel well set

AM decals for an early D machine

some am decals for generic B model but not unit markings which will need custom made

see what happens when life and work stops you building !

So now I am stuck and cant make up my mind

Early B model or an early D model ??

And don't say get another F-105 and do both - I'll be lucky to get one done :rofl2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Early B model or an early D model ??

Thats quite a problem to have John.

You also seem to have quite a collection of aftermarket stuff to go with it. The early Thuds in the aluminium lacquer do look good and carried some colourful markings too, I turned a Monogram 1/48 F into an early F in that finish a few years ago (not a brilliant effort but it will do).

B's are still very rarely seen in any scale though so if I had to choose I would probably go down that route, then of course you get into the choice of markings!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thats quite a problem to have John.

You also seem to have quite a collection of aftermarket stuff to go with it. The early Thuds in the aluminium lacquer do look good and carried some colourful markings too, I turned a Monogram 1/48 F into an early F in that finish a few years ago (not a brilliant effort but it will do).

B's are still very rarely seen in any scale though so if I had to choose I would probably go down that route, then of course you get into the choice of markings!

Aye

Santa brought me Dennis Jenkins book "The Complete History of the Republic F-105" which has me making up my mind on one -page and then a chapter later changing it back again.  Your point that we don't see that many B's does resonate with me though and that's why a grabbed a B conversion set without really thinking beyond the impulse buy moment !  You've been helpful though with the steer.

The aftermarket comes from not having time to build and having time to buy.  We have just completed the 1/1 scale new self build house thats taken 2.5 years from ground through planning to completion.  That's been my build output for 2020 and 2021 :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Aye

Santa brought me Dennis Jenkins book "The Complete History of the Republic F-105" which has me making up my mind on one -page and then a chapter later changing it back again.  Your point that we don't see that many B's does resonate with me though and that's why a grabbed a B conversion set without really thinking beyond the impulse buy moment !  You've been helpful though with the steer.

The aftermarket comes from not having time to build and having time to buy.  We have just completed the 1/1 scale new self build house thats taken 2.5 years from ground through planning to completion.  That's been my build output for 2020 and 2021 :D

Sounds like you have well and truly had your hands full for the past couple of years.

I know what you mean about books being less helpful with decision making at times, sometimes we can have too much inspiration and choice. There were some nice B's sued for testing with large areas of dayglo on them too, if you need your mind clogging up with other choices.😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

Aye

You can still do the Aluminum painted Thud in Vietnam. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Republic_F-105D-30-RE_(SN_62-4234)_in_flight_with_full_bomb_load_060901-F-1234S-013.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F-105_Thunderchiefs_refuel.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes - thanks for reminding me that's a possibility.  I've started to read my pressie from Santa and there are some good early all silver birds shown in it.  Choices choices choices????

• Like 2

After what has been a terrible year for the hobby (started a few kits but only finished a couple...), I've promised myself to do better, including completing something for group builds. So since I have quite a few kits of Century Series fighters, I'll try to build one.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a Meng 1/72 F-102, but I may try the Valom F-101A instead. The stash also offers a couple F-100s and many Starfighters, but I'd rather leave the 104s for the moment (although I'd quite fancy a USAF F-104A at some point...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

After what has been a terrible year for the hobby (started a few kits but only finished a couple...), I've promised myself to do better, including completing something for group builds. So since I have quite a few kits of Century Series fighters, I'll try to build one.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a Meng 1/72 F-102, but I may try the Valom F-101A instead. The stash also offers a couple F-100s and many Starfighters, but I'd rather leave the 104s for the moment (although I'd quite fancy a USAF F-104A at some point...

Some very good choices there Giorgio.

The F-102 is a great looking aircraft and carried some nice colourful markings too, though I agree that a USAF F-104A would also be a good choice especially one of the schemes with lots of dayglo involved.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dansk, could you add me to the list for this group build. 

I failed miserably & binned a Valom 1/72 F-101 a couple of years ago (the only time I've ever binned a kit) & have the same kit to attempt to do again. 

Will be one of the Bentwaters colourful airframes.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1