The Century Fighters GB Chat

Dansk

11 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Having built a F-102 and a F-106 for last years Interceptor GB, I plan to add the following to my small collection of the Aircraft operated by the Air Defence Command.

F-101B Voodoo

F-104A

Great. Really looking forward to see the voodoo build in particular.

• Like 1

• Enzo the Magnificent changed the title to 2022 - The Century Fighters GB (4th June - 25th September)

I didn't sign up fr this one as I can never finish in the time allotted but I do have a 1/32 Trumpeter F-105 and some aftermarket I plan on using to backdate it to a "B".  

To have a fighting chance of meeting deadlines I'll need to make a start while keeping the percentage build within the permitted threshold.   And I have still to work out the decals problem though I can use some from other sheets to make up the USAF etc info.  Unit markings are more of an issue.

As I've never had the time to finish anything started for a GB this will be challenging.  Still its the taking part :D

• Like 1

Finally called it wraps on my F-100 for French Fancy.  I think I've got a F-104J slated for next year...though it may be getting built in Turning Japanese (Eiko).  We shall see.

51694485764_26e9f3afe7_c.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, JohnT said:

As I've never had the time to finish anything started for a GB this will be challenging.  Still its the taking part :D

That's the key right there.  I think I'm maybe at 50% completion rate...and that's a strong maybe.  :rofl2:  It's fun to take part in them for the camaraderie, and also can give you ideas you may not thought of as others work around some of the same issues you encounter. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 4:42 AM, Jb65rams said:

Having built a F-102 and a F-106 for last years Interceptor GB, I plan to add the following to my small collection of the Aircraft operated by the Air Defence Command.

F-101B Voodoo

I'd love to build a Voodoo in Canadian colors... doesn't seem to be an easily found kit, nor decal set. 

One day!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

I'd love to build a Voodoo in Canadian colors... doesn't seem to be an easily found kit, nor decal set. 

One day!!

Ive been looking for one for almost five years now. Theyre about as common as 🦄💩 on this side of the Atlantic. Same with the Revell F-89 and a couple of other kits. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reini said:

Gonna build one of each

Well done Reini, thats the spirit!

6 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

It would be a great choice and very welcome in the GB. The kits do come up on Ebay (over here at least) but you can get the decals from Belcher bits, especially as you are in Canada.

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

I am sure I can whip something up for this...

Good man John, wouldn't be the same without you mate.

46 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

It is a ways down the track so plenty of time to change my mind but currently feeling a F-104, either Revell Belgian G or Italeri Vietnam F-104C, nice camo'd options, none of that nasty shiny stuff. :)

Steve.

A couple of good choices there Steve, F-104's look good in any scheme but the Belgian camo ones were always one of the top ones in my opinion.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive been looking for one for almost five years now. Theyre about as common as 🦄💩 on this side of the Atlantic. Same with the Revell F-89 and a couple of other kits. 

If youre looking for 1/72 scale heres a set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284526929534?hash=item423f20667e:g:UaoAAOSwyPNhjvVX

or 1/48

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154689698669?hash=item2404397b6d:g:~cEAAOSwdihfy6i0

Heres an addition I also found after first posting for Belcher bits

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/decals/bd9.htm

They have 1/72 and 1/48

hope its helps

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well, Revell hasn't issued the kit since 2013... hopefully they feel they're due to put out another production run soon. 🤞

• Like 2

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

It would be a great choice and very welcome in the GB. The kits do come up on Ebay (over here at least) but you can get the decals from Belcher bits, especially as you are in Canada.

Belcher, yes... or Leading Edge (when/if they have them in stock). The kit on the other hand, more difficult. The ones I've seen for sale from North America on the 'Bay are in the $130 range when you add in the shipping. That's hard to swallow for a 30 year old, 1/72 kit. 😬

• Like 2

I'm glad the Century Series GB made it. I've wanted to do the entire set . so far I've gotten the -103 done and the -102 disassembled for restoration. Starting in June it will give me a chance to decide what to build. The only 2 I don't have in 48th is the -108 and the-109 .I can't  wait!:yahoo:

• Like 4

This is gonna be such a great GB with a wide range of types and infinite schemes under one umbrella.

Ok I’ve decided on my century builds, I’m gonna build 2:

Stash reduction: the huge 1/32 italeri starfighter from the stash, probably in OOB italian markings for something different, and i might throw a few bits of AM at it, perhaps resin wheels, FOD covers and RBF tags and aim for something like this…

spacer.png

then #2:

a 1/48 trumpeter super sabre in french markings (as I mentioned in the thread above previously.)

probably wheels, seat, and probe AM. I’m not going to correct the apparently infamous trumpeter nose shape with a resin fix, as its too difficult for me I think it will end up looking worse than when I started. 🙃

I love this subject as I can weather it a lot and that tail area with the heat damaged paint will be a real challenge but really fun.

does anyone have any good tips about where to get a set of good quality 1/48 sharkmouth french decals for an f-100?  ala…

spacer.png

by the way i noticed this is on sale today in black week (no affiliation)
if anyone wants a 1/72 starfighter for the GB…

https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/en/Aircrafts/Aircraft-Models-1-72/Modern-since-1945/NATO/F-104-G-Starfighter-RNAF-BAF

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I'm glad the Century Series GB made it. I've wanted to do the entire set . so far I've gotten the -103 done and the -102 disassembled for restoration. Starting in June it will give me a chance to decide what to build. The only 2 I don't have in 48th is the -108 and the-109 .I can't  wait!:yahoo:

awesome if you build all of them.

7 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

If youre looking for 1/72 scale heres a set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284526929534?hash=item423f20667e:g:UaoAAOSwyPNhjvVX

or 1/48

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154689698669?hash=item2404397b6d:g:~cEAAOSwdihfy6i0

Heres an addition I also found after first posting for Belcher bits

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/decals/bd9.htm

They have 1/72 and 1/48

hope its helps

Nice decals but was actually referring to the kit. Now Im off to figure out if I can afford the decals ? 

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

1/32 italeri starfighter from the stash, probably in OOB italian markings

That would be a great build Paul, a really nice scheme and in 1/32 the F-104 still isn't too big.

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

a 1/48 trumpeter super sabre in french markings

A long time favourite scheme of mine, especially when heavily weathered. I think you can get the shark mouth decals on a Carpena sheet and might be on a Berna sheet too. I wasn't aware the Trumpeter Hun had an issue with the nose shape (though I shouldn't have been surprised) as I am seriously considering an F-100F for my build.

• Like 2

I would like to join in the fun here with the Kinetic F-104S I am getting for Christmas. I'll have to get a shift on with it if I hope to make the Canadian GB that starts a few weeks after this one does.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Filler said:

I would like to join in the fun here with the Kinetic F-104S I am getting for Christmas. I'll have to get a shift on with it if I hope to make the Canadian GB that starts a few weeks after this one does.

Great stuff. The kinetic kit is very nice indeed. Welcome onboard.

• Like 1