Questions regarding the B.P. Defiant F. Mk I

Brad-M

Hi,

I am currently building the fine 1/48 scale Airfix Defiant Mk I kit and was wondering about a few things. What would be, if there is such a thing, as a "Scramble Ready State" for the Defiant? If there was, what would it look like? Would the guns and turret be pointed in a certain position? Would the spine be retracted or up? I am trying to sort these things out prior to deciding how to assemble these items. I am building mine with the use during the Battle of Britain in mind.

TIA

Brad

afair, the turret is turned to point the guns to starboard (at right angle to fuselage) and the guns are elevated at approx 45*

The retractable portion between the turret and pilot canopy would be in the raised position. This only retracted automatically when the turret traversed

I did just read that the turret doors were spring-loaded to keep them open. I would guess that while on standby, the doors would be closed, but could be quickly opened just by flicking the latch.

From this book:

50249821832_25ac8a3a5c_z.jpg

This picture:

50248978173_9cdc35d49d_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

I've gone through my Defiant images for 264, with some taken at Martlesham Heath, Duxford and Hornchurch and they are parked with the turret turned to starboard and open, gunners access footpeg extended, footstep on the port wing down, and the speed fairing behind the turret lowered. The pilots canopy is open. 

141 set up the same, photos taken at West Malling, Hawkinge and Grangemouth.

Both squadron images in my collection show pilots parachute and air gunners Parasuit on the port tail plane.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2