1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I/.IIb/c/Trop/D by Arma Hobby - released - new Hurricane Mk.IIa/b & c boxing

Homebee

Source: http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/08/21/new-arma-hobby-1-72-scale-kit-announced-hurricane-mk-iib/

NEW ARMA HOBBY 1/72 SCALE KIT ANNOUNCED – HURRICANE MK IIB

Posted by Wojtek Bułhak | 21/08/2020 | Arma Hobby kits, Blog | 0  |       

70042-hurricane-bc-foto-006-1000x640.jpg

Today we are starting a series of autumn new releases from Arma Hobby. Three new models are waiting in the queue. First goes an easy one – Hurricane Mk IIb. What makes this model special, and what additional options have we prepared for modellers? Let’s see!

Each model is a design challenge for us. We want it to be better than the previous one, to raise the bar a little higher for us. We chose the Hurricane IIb as the first of the three new releases planned for the end of the year. It is a version with 12 machine guns, mainly used in the “Hurribomber” configuration. We tested the “stressed skin effect” on the model, and the first conclusions show that it is necessary to design it more prominent in subsequent models.

70042-boxart.jpg

Boxart Hurricane Mk IIb, artwork by Piotr Forkasiewicz

PLASTIC PARTS

The model includes two plastic frames, the first one from the Hurricane Mk IIc set, and the second with the Mk IIb version wing, and underwing stores: bombs and tanks. They provide the modeller with an option to build the model in the Hurribomber and Intruder variants. They make it a more combat, aggressive look to the profile of both the Mk IIc and Mk IIb versions. Additionally, the frame includes an early tail wheel and exhaust manifold for early Hurricane Mk II models.

Ramka-70042-1024x768.jpg

Test Shot sprue Hurricane Mk IIb

RENDERINGS 3D

70042-hurricane-bc-render-001-1024x496.j

70042-hurricane-bc-render-002-1024x496.j

70042-hurricane-bc-render-004-1024x496.j

70042-hurricane-bc-render-006-1024x496.j

70042-hurricane-bc-render-005-1024x496.j

70042-hurricane-bc-render-007-300x225.jp 70042-hurricane-bc-render-008-300x225.jp

Exhaust variants

70042-hurricane-bc-render-009-300x225.jp 70042-hurricane-bc-render-010-300x225.jp

Tailwheel variants

70042-hurricane-bc-render-011-300x225.jp 70042-hurricane-bc-render-012-300x225.jp

Underwing stores variants

In addition to the kit is a new clear part frame. The first clear parts mould was damaged, and we quickly ordered a new one. In the project, we improved the thickness of the canopy. New clear parts are included in all Hurricane versions produced after the mould change. If you want to buy a new canopy for the Hurricane models you already have, write about it in the comments. We will think about some promotion in our online store.

MODEL BUILT FROM TEST SHOTS

70042-hurricane-bc-foto-001.jpg

70042-hurricane-bc-foto-002.jpg

70042-hurricane-bc-foto-003.jpg

70042-hurricane-bc-foto-004.jpg

70042-hurricane-bc-foto-005.jpg

RELEASE PLANS

Hurricane Mk IIb / c Expert Set will be released as the first set, with six versions of the camouflage and markings. In the future, we plan Model Kit boxes of the Mk IIb and Mk IIb trop, and possibly Limited Editions. However, the “Experts” of new models will be released first. The Hurricane Mk IIc model in 1/48 scale is planned after the new year, and it still needs to be refined slightly.

The 1/72 scale Hurricane series will continue as long as there is interest from modellers. Sea Hurricane IIc and Hurricane IId are possible.

HOW CAN I BUY HURRICANE MK IIB / C?

The model you can see listed in our web-store, we will start preorders soon. Packages with additional plastic frames (know as “over trees”) will be available. We will begin shipping on September 28, 2020.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

... The problems you mention with the above are (to an experienced modeller), correctable but not generally noticeable in 1/72 to the average show judge. 

A show judge is instructed not to make judgements on accuracy but on the model-making skills that have been displayed.  Now I would suggest that looking at the original and correcting for inaccuracies were an important part of a modeller's skill set, but as no judge can be expected to be expert on every subject he may be asked to judge, this aspect is overlooked.  Frankly, I don't give a **** for a show judge's comments on accuracy (unless he is otherwise known to be well-informed on the subject) because it is totally irrelevant.  Both to his job and my evaluation of a model.

The Hasegawa kit was for a long time the best representation of a Hurricane available, despite its flaws.  Now it (and all others before or since) have been superseded by the Arma Hobby one.  If manufacturers were restricted (somehow) to avoiding subjects already done we'd still be stuck with the Airfix Hurricane Mk.IV, not to mention having to do without such other examples such as the Eduard Spitfire Mk.IX, Tamiya Zero  - the list could go on and on.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Maybe not entirely unexpected, but very welcome nonetheless. I'll be buying a bunch!

Ditto; though I thought Mk IV.

They will get my money for sure :)

edit: oh, they have a new Yak boxing too.

Edited by Torbjorn

A couple of points: given the list of other potential variants,  a SH Mk.I appears to be the obvious omission.  The Mk.IId is actually mentioned above, although the AZ one is better than any of the Hasegawa, SMER/Heller or Airfix kits (in order of decreasing desirability - I'm not sure where the Aosima kit comes in but late).

I'm a little worried about the "stressed skin" effect.  It would be a shame to spoil a good series of kits in favour of some fad.

My personal favourites will be the Mk.IIB tropicalised and the Mk.IIB fighter bomber.   Standard kit is quite good enough without paying more for unused trim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

A show judge is instructed not to make judgements on accuracy but on the model-making skills that have been displayed.

Sounds very familiar, reminds me of two 1/24 Hellcats at a show. 

There were a lot of shocked reactions to I'll advised judging.

As for the Hurricane, I'm sure it will be the benchmark 1/72 Hurricane from here onwards. I was in no way surprised whatsoever.

9 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Ditto; though I thought Mk IV.

9 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

This new kit will replace the old Revell kit but what about the IID version

Both are do-able from the IIc, if you get the 40mm guns for the IId,  and the IV had a universal wing, so did use bomb racks.

They require some small changes to the wing panelling, and making the radiator armour. 

As @Graham Boak says, AZ did make a decent stab at these as well.

But remember though that only 300 IId and about 600 Mk.IV were built, and markings options are not that plentiful, out of the 14,000 or so Hurricane  built.  

Same with the Mk.II Sea Hurricanes,  I can't remember exactly, a few hundred at most.

The IIB is a really good  idea.  With new props, you can do the Canadian Mk.XII, and it is the variant most photographed in VVS use.

Conversion to a IIa is easy, just fill the outer gun bays.

So Arma have now covered the vast majority bulk of built Hurricanes.     

If they don't do the others, I'm sure they will be done with some AM.  A while back 3-D Models did a some 40 mm guns for the dreadful Airfix IIc,  IIRC they were injection moulded, so they may still exist.

Finally, I really appreciate the way Arma Hobby interact with their customer base,  that when the did the Mk.I they posted up CAD shots here, and they took on comments regarding issues visible, and investigated the issues raised, and corrected accordingly. 

Result are the best Hurricane in 72nd.   And No doubt will be the best in 1/48th.   :yahoo:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Piotr's stunning artwork suggests a 174 (Mauritius) Squadron option, a unit I don't currently have represented in my collection. Happy days.  Having said that I'll definitely be getting a few of these.  This little company from Poland is the gold standard in terms of quality and attention to detail in my view.  I am quite intrigued by Wojtek's reference to the stressed skin effect, not to mention the other two kits in development.  If the rumours of a P-51B and Sea Fury turn out to be correct I'll be well chuffed, especially the latter. Mind you, Arma have a habit of announcing the unexpeted so I won't be surprised if the subjects are something completely different.

• Like 2

- ref. 70042 - hawker Hurricane Mk II b/c Expert Set "“Hurribomber” and “Intruder”

Source: https://www.armahobby.com/70042-hurricane-mk-ii-b-c-expert-set.html

Model of the British Hurricane Mk IIb/c fighter aeroplane fitted with bombs or fuel tanks. Expert set with accessories for advanced modeller.

Set also contains new, clear parts sprue (thinner canopy). It is a new tool made after previous one broken.

Box contents:

• Two plastic sprues plus clear parts
  • Photoetched parts
  • Canopy and wheel masks

Six markings options (3xMk IIb and 3xMk IIc)

• Hurricane Mk. IIb “Hurribomber”, BE682/XP-R, “Mauritius VII”, 174 Squadron RAF, Manston, Summer 1942.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIb, Z3675/WX-B, 302 Squadron PAF, Church Stanton, August 1941.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIb trop „Hurribomber”, HL795/V, 274 Squadron RAF, Sidi Haneish (Egipt) i Sidi-Bu Amud (Libia), November 1942.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIc “Night Intruder”, BE581/JX-E, 1 Squadron RAF, Tangmere, May 1942, pilot F/L Karel Kuttelwascher.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIc, MW367/DR-B, “Jessie”, 1697 Flight, Air Despatch Letter Service, Northolt, June 1944.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIc trop “Hurribomber”, LB792/C, 34 Squadron RAF/SEAC, Dergaon (Assam) i Imphal (Manipur), Spring 1944, pilot S/Ldr C.P.N. Newman.

large_70042-web.jpg?lm=1597994839

big-ramka-h2c.jpg

big-Ramka-70042.jpg

big-70042-mask.jpg

big-70035-PE-web-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 11

That's some great news!! Not only another addition to their great line, but looks like some crackin' options included in this boxing. All we *need* is a IId, IV, and the oceanic siblings :) Will be certainly getting a few of these...

Jan

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Homebee said:

- ref. 70042 - hawker Hurricane Mk II b/c Expert Set "“Hurribomber” and “Intruder”

Source: https://www.armahobby.com/70042-hurricane-mk-ii-b-c-expert-set.html

Model of the British Hurricane Mk IIb/c fighter aeroplane fitted with bombs or fuel tanks. Expert set with accessories for advanced modeller.

Set also contains new, clear parts sprue (thinner canopy). It is a new tool made after previous one broken.

Box contents:

• Two plastic sprues plus clear parts
  • Photoetched parts
  • Canopy and wheel masks

Six markings options (3xMk IIb and 3xMk IIc)

• Hurricane Mk. IIb “Hurribomber”, BE682/XP-R, “Mauritius VII”, 174 Squadron RAF, Manston, Summer 1942.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIb, Z3675/WX-B, 302 Squadron PAF, Church Stanton, August 1941.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIb trop „Hurribomber”, HL795/V, 274 Squadron RAF, Sidi Haneish (Egipt) i Sidi-Bu Amud (Libia), November 1942.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIc “Night Intruder”, BE581/JX-E, 1 Squadron RAF, Tangmere, May 1942, pilot F/L Karel Kuttelwascher.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIc, MW367/DR-B, “Jessie”, 1697 Flight, Air Despatch Letter Service, Northolt, June 1944.
  • Hurricane Mk. IIc trop “Hurribomber”, LB792/C, 34 Squadron RAF/SEAC, Dergaon (Assam) i Imphal (Manipur), Spring 1944, pilot S/Ldr C.P.N. Newm

So am I right in thinking that it will be the IIC kit with the additional sprue for the IIB wings?  I was raher hoping for a release which included Kuttlewasher's night intruder IIC so excellent news. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I don't quite see how those wish lists are related to the topic of a 1/72 Mk.IIb Hurricane.

They dont.

Please keep this on topic

• Thanks 1

Regarding the upcoming Arma Hobby 1/72 Hawker Hurricane IIb. The kit is actually a IIb/IIc just in case anyone missed that. Additionally the clear parts are new and improved, due to the original clear parts mold being damaged. It is thinner and clearer, and according to the email from Wojtek, will be available separately if those who wish to upgrade the previous kits would like them. I will be curious to see the markings options for JX@E BE581. 
Getting back to the IIb sprue, there is mention of a subtle stressed skin effect on the new wing as well as the smaller tail wheel included for early IIb’s. This release will push my Arma Hobby Hurricane stash to 10, if they keep going, It may surpass my B-17 collection! The 12 gun wing of the IIb is going to be a stunner!

Happy trails,

Jeffrey

Edited by MrB17
New information
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

the thread was started before Arma announced the kit. So people were speculating what the ‘surprise’ kit was.

Aye, but even after the revelation numerous now-removed posts continued on a wish-list spree. 

I’m happy for this choice. I have nearly finished my first of hopefully several Arma Hurricanes and it’s a wonderful kit. I just have to quickly finish an older Legato IIc before this one is released: I’m building an all-black BE581 and fear I just might loose motivation seeing this released. :o 

Commercially this is definitely a smart move too: to follow up on the current (well deserved I might add) popularity of their Hurricane kits.

• Like 1

Hurricane IIb/IIc Preorder is available now! If you opt for the set of 3 overtrees, that works out to €7 each! That is a bargain if I ever saw one! I also ordered 9 additional clear sprues, with the improved canopies. If you cemented with white glue already, it should be a snap to replace them if desired. Maybe “snap” was a poor choice of words! ;) 

• Like 1