Beaufighter`s,..... did they really wear desert camouflage?

tonyot

21 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That looks similar to the scheme in one of the Hasegawa kits I have. Desert scheme uppers of course. ;) :D

Steve.

This one:

50284517781_009babaf78_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

Just 'cos, some more.

From here: https://saafww2pilots3.yolasite.com/ra-fenner-photographs--north-africa.php - some night fighters.

fen115%20beau.JPG.opt836x551o0,0s836x551

fen117%20Beaufighter.JPG.opt836x569o0,0s

fen125%20raf_0009.jpg.opt836x536o0,0s836

fen130%20raf_0094.jpg.opt836x491o0,0s836

From http://fritzjohl.yolasite.com/bassie-basson-photographs.php

Bladsy%2023%20stripfoto%203.jpg?timestam

From here http://fritzjohl.yolasite.com/don-brebner-photographs.php (caption states "RAF Beaufighters at Castel Benito LG")

breb99.jpg?timestamp=1568662281649

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 3

Blimpyboy

Re the photo of the SAAF Beau you posted

dt38.jpg.opt836x653o0,0s836x653.jpg

This is a Beau Mk.X fitted with rockets, see the NV serial, and dates from 1945, see the Type "C" upper wing roundel.

After a short spell in existence in 1939, 19 SAAF was reformed in Aug 1944 by the  renumbering of 227 squadron RAF. Between then and its disbandment on 10 July 1945 it was based at Biferno in Italy (just south of Termoli on the Adriatic coast). Its operations were against targets in Yugoslavia, Albania and Greece and against shipping in the Adriatic. I can therefore see no reason why its aircraft would be in anything other than TSS.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EwenS said:

see the Type "C" upper wing roundel

Yeah, that did give me pause for thought - long after I'd posted it!

Most of the pictures I posted come from SAAF-based sites; however many are undated and do not always have operator/location information. Sadly, too, I could not even begin to deduce any kind of colour info from those black and white pictures - too many grey areas. 😉

• 9 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 10:17 AM, tonyot said:

While later Mk.VI, like this Malta based aircraft;

DSCF6108.jpg

Tony Im building a Mk.VI from 272 Sq. Malta, did you use sky, sky-blue, or Azure on the underside of your build ? 

On 8/21/2020 at 10:17 AM, tonyot said:

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Tony Im building a Mk.VI from 272 Sq. Malta, did you use sky, sky-blue, or Azure on the underside of your build ? 

I used Azure Blue mate,..... but quite a light version,..... good luck with it CC. It also has bomb racks under the wings;

DSCF6111.jpg

Watch the tails,..... some had flat tails and some had the later Vee style  tail, I made this model over 20 years ago based on the below photo and still got the tail wrong as my model has the later V tail as per the kit when of course the original has a flat tail,...... which is pretty easy to change using the kit parts. Also watch the under wing roundels,..... many retained the old A Type,..... check these out;

beau-malta.jpg

The beau below was with 227 Sqn on Malta,...a flat tailed MkVIC-X8035- J, lost-attacking-MV-Delphi.

Beaufighter-Mk-VIC-RAF-227-Sqn-J-X8035-M

And some of the earlier Beau`s deployed straight to Malta from the UK retained their UK colours,...... this one is often said to have deployed to Malta and scored kills against the Italians,.... but when researching this 48th Revell kit I found it didn`t make it to Malta and was lost off Norway just before the squadron deployment;

DSCF5065-NEW.jpg

DSCF5062-NEW.jpg

I have built a desert Beau,.... but I`ve never been convinced that they actually wore these colours!

beau-15.jpg

beau-7.jpg

beau-9.jpg

Good luck mate,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @tonyot I modified the Airfix Tail to a flat one as The plane In the photo’s I’m using T5048 seems to have the flat tail. Ive already started to add the bomb racks, not sure If I will add bombs yet or not ? 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235094668-what-a-beau…-fighter/

Dennis

• Like 2

Looking at the above, that tail camo looks to me to have too much contrast to be TSS so Desert Camo or Night Fighter Dark green & Medium Sea Grey. Being an earlier machine, flat tail planes & pole radar aerials, would it have been too early to be in the Night Fighter upper colours?

Steve.

11 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Looking at the above, that tail camo looks to me to have too much contrast to be TSS so Desert Camo or Night Fighter Dark green & Medium Sea Grey. Being an earlier machine, flat tail planes & pole radar aerials, would it have been too early to be in the Night Fighter upper colours?

Steve.

Hiya Steve,..... I do accept that some of the early night fighters wore the desert scheme,....... my query was mostly concerning the strike/long range fighters between  early1941 to mid 1943 which are often depicted in artwork etc as wearing desert colours,.... but were they TSS instead? 

The photo that you refer to is probably MSG/Dk Green on the uppers,... but the desert scheme which was hastily applied to the very earliest all black Beau`s sent to the Middle East is a possibility mate.  

Cheers

Tony

55 minutes ago, tonyot said:

probably MSG/Dk Green on the uppers,... but the desert scheme which was hastily applied to the very earliest all black Beau`s sent to the Middle East is a possibility mate. 

You're not taking a quid each way there are you Mr O'toole? ;)  :P  I reckon I'd be going with the latter come the time if I could find the details for this machine, or any others from that time. It is a great colour combination as several of your builds of various types have shown over the years.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 7:53 PM, V Line said:

As it's my first post I thought I'd bring something useful.

Tonyot in particular should enjoy watching this film from 06.08 onwards:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-worker-and-war-front-no-5-1943-online

Cracking film that,,..... THANKS FOR SHARING IT,....some certainly look to be wearing a desert finish for sure,..... but others also look to be wearing TSS!

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-worker-and-war-front-no-5-1943-online 

I couldn't view the link here, "not available to your location" but the same one, I think from the description, is also Here on the IWM website. Any idea what squadron had the BT codes at that stage @tonyot? To my eye BT-Y (?) at 8.51 & BT-? at 9.58 could likely have been Desert cam'd, but BT-B later on at 12.38 possibly TSS. They were all fairly early machines & would be attractive modelling prospects. 

Steve.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...