Xtracolor Mica Topcoats

Vinny

Hi chaps,

I wonder if someone here could clear up some confusion I’m having regarding the Xtracolor Mica paints. I’ve searched around but haven’t found any definitive answers.

Xtracolor produce two Mica topcoats; X368 Mica 1 and X369 Mica 2.

In the description of X368 Mica 1 is “acrylic base”. Does this mean that it is an acrylic paint or does it mean it is formulated to go on top of an acrylic base? Is it safe to put over an enamel base?

I’m presuming X369 Mica 2 is a standard enamel paint and can be thinned with enamel thinners but what about thinning X368 Mica 1?

And finally, is there a difference in the final tone or pearlescent finish between Mica 1 and Mica 2? I note from Xtracolor instructions that putting a topcoat of Mica 1 over X367 Virgin Atlantic Grey gives the pearlescent finish for Virgin while putting Mica 2 over X367 gives the Northwest Airlines pearlescent finish. Does that indicate that there a difference?

Sorry for all the questions but I’d really appreciate any insight on these Mica topcoats from your experience as I’m trying to figure out which one to use.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers!

Vinny :like:

Hi Vinny

I've used both in the past and they were both enamel paints. X368 Mica 1 is clear mica whereas X369 Mica 2 has a slightly tinted mica finish. They both go over enamel paints OK.

I don't understand why Mica 1 is described as "acrylic base" unless they've recently changed the paint formulation. In any case acrylic will go over enamel without problems.

If you're doing a Virgin aircraft, note that X367 Virgin Atlantic Grey will give you the old darker base colour. The new Virgin scheme on B789s and A350s uses a lighter grey - you'd need to mix X367 50/50 with gloss white to get the right shade, then overspray with X368 clear mica.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tim

• Thanks 1

Hi Tim,

You're a star! Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed to know and that's a great tip about the new Virgin scheme.

Thanks a million!

Cheers

Vinny :like:

Edited by Vinny