I must be mad. 1/48 scratch built Taube

Marklo

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

Now you’ve got me thinking, wasn’t that a Bleriot, either way I probably could do with adding one to my collection.

Should be a breeze for you! Here's my 1:72 scratchbuilt Bleriot.

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50373099252_34f569dbf3_c.jpg
Crosses on ( borrowed from an Edward eindekker, but I scanned them and printed off a set so now have several spares) a bit more work in the interior. I’m going to use aluminium bare metal on the nose so this is the next task before permanently attaching the wings.

Found a set of 1/48 pe spoked wheels in the spares box ( than you Joe) so those are going to be used for this build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

50374537173_44e599842c_c.jpg

50375404072_ffeb627644_c.jpg
Bare metal on the nose and upper decking, finished fiddling with the crosses, fitted the wings and attached the  braces under the wings. I think I been to focus on the undercarriage next. Pleased with the look so far extremely light but strong and surprisingly strong.

• Like 6

50421694752_d656c8a037_c.jpg
Started on the undercard 1mm in plastic  rod and shaved cocktail sticks ( tooth picks) using plastic weld to give a good joint on the rod and ca to attach the wood.   nearly ready for the wheels and the last two tolled.

• Like 6

Hi Marklo,

as Darth Vader would say: "Impressive, most impressive!" :D It really looks gorgeous.

Maybe a tip for the future creating tyres: A good source (especially for WWI subjects) are O-Rings of various diameter. They already look like rubber and are perfectly round. You just need some spoke wheels and be done. Much easier than trying to scratch them completely.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50424714227_0b603da90f_c.jpg
Undercarriage trimmed and attached. I got the angle of the rear struts entirely wrong so snipped them off. I’ll reinstall them when everything is set, along with the wheels and the second pair of yolkes. 

• Like 4

Saw this on facebook, and thought of you, and especially Moa, as it's a civilian version 🙂

Etrich Taube Monoplane Russian aviator-singer V.V. Kamensky in Warsaw in 1912

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Uhm, how could I overlook this for so long? I mean the build as well as the enlightening discussion about the prerequisite of being mad to lurk around here...

Might be a bit late, but in my neighborhood a few houses away there are some blokes having one hanging from the ceiling in scale 1:1, build by Igo Etrich himself - I could just drop by and take a few pics as reference on some details? (Means I life close to the Technische Museum in Wien, and look for a reason to justify to go there and spend a few hours taking pictures of old wood, and smell the scent of well-oiled iron.)

But I must admit you do pretty well without, this already looks very Taube-ish. Do you plan to build a specific variant, or rather a generic Taube "per se"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Do you plan to build a specific variant, or rather a generic Taube "per se"?

I’m following the drawings @Moa posted in his five countries build, but as I wanted a military wetsuit I’m leaning towards generic. Also as I don’t have the wherewithal to laser print decals (both my PC and Laser printer aren’t setup, my inkjet is running standalone over WiFi and beside printing black decals nobody is missing the pc or laser) I’ll keep the markings to the ones already on it. 

That said, I think I don’t have that much left to build, an engine and prop, some seats and a bit of interior detail ( any shots here would be appreciated) and the rigging ( again any shots of how the lines come together) but ( aside from the rigging) most of the major work is done.

Edited by Marklo

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

That said, I think I don’t have that much left to build, an engine and prop, some seats and a bit of interior detail ( any shots here would be appreciated) and the rigging ( again any shots of how the lines come together) but ( aside from the rigging) most of the major work is done.

That's what I've guessed, as I've joined this build so late. 😞

But anyway, I'm pretty sure I can provide some on the details on the rigging after I visited the TMW, which I planned next week. I am not 100% confident concerning the cockpit, as it might hang a bit to high. But I'll see. There is one at the Aviatikum in Wiener Neustadt, but I think it's airworthy and therefore pretty much not original. If you google for "Etrich Taube" and "Aviatikum" you'll find some pictures (I wont post here, so not to run into any copyright issues). 

And I promise NOT to start declaiming about the history of Austrian aviation, not to bore anyone to death... 😉

Edited by Chief Cohiba
"it" hangs high, not "I". At least not yet...
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

And I promise NOT to start declaiming about the history of Austrian aviation, not to bore anyone to death... 😉

I for one would probably find that pretty interesting, at one time I built quite a few Austrian WWI types and I definitely have plans for an Offeag Albatros and a Phonix or two in the collection at some stage.

• Confused 1

I do not wish to hijack Mark's thread, but I too would be most interested to learn more about the history of early Austrian aviation. It is a subject which is barely considered in the English speaking world, yet I am aware that there were many important pioneering individuals and ideas which started there. I have already scratch built some of the flying boats and am eyeing up other possibilities. Please feel free to pm me with more details if you have the time - I would be most appreciative.

P

• Confused 1

Well, seems' I've talked myself into something... 😖

Anyway, you've asked for it, you'll get it. At least a bit. 😉

But not to hijack this anyway, I think I'll start something in the more general section here: 

I'll gather some pieces now and then here, and also post pictures here, when I visit some Museum. I'll dop I note here when I add something relevant - what do you think?

• Like 3

That is quite the project -- looks great!

We have a Taube reproduction in our local museum, and looking at my pics I notice the stabilizer plane is split. With the understanding that artifacts in museums can vary in reliability as reference, hopefully these might provide useful -- even if only as inspiration.

Museum of Flight (Seattle) 2016

Rumpler-Taube-MoF-2016-01-12-6986.jpg

-

Rumpler-Taube-MoF-2016-01-12-7025.jpg

-

Rumpler-Taube-MoF-2016-01-12-6985.jpg

-

Rumpler-Taube-MoF-2016-01-12-7027.jpg

-

Rumpler-Taube-MoF-2016-12-24-6663.jpg

-

Rumpler-Taube-MoF-2016-12-24-6667.jpg

-

Hope these help.

Oh, the Museum of Flight's website includes a shot from above (an angle we visitors can't get) showing the top of the wings/fuselage and the wire rigging.

https://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/rumpler-taube-dove-reproduction

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pics yes any extra references are always welcomed. The pics actually helped me to clarify what colours to paint the various struts.

I notice it’s a Rumpler not an Etterich on the museum site. But as far as I can tell there are differences from airframe to airframe sometimes quite significant. So parts of my Taube will be generic as I’m not building a specific subject. 

I might add ( rigging notwithstanding) this is coming together do well I probably will take a crack at one of the biplane or limousine taubes. ( I do wish I could find my copy of Taube Dove of War, it was such a good reference)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1