Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-105D "Arkansas Traveler"

Icarus

Hi everyone.  This is the state of play today, with the autodestruct decals (almost) tamed using a combination of MicroSol, Future/Klear and repeated,, but sotto voce, swearing (kids and all that)...

__MX44LxmGV5AAaJKL8a7s5NSf1KJTDH1hPocH3V

ZJKKcao5L0GcyDMH7Nwpg5I7_qFVOO-yHDEu4r9I

TiKH9DnEjGujjSsZDbqKMkoZd05bdxRIjRE6GkOm

As you can see, there is still some work to be done on the starboard side, but this is a whole lot better than things looked late last night.  I will have to do a bit of touching up where the decals shattered, and also have to replace the "7" I placed at the end of the fin registration with the correct number, when I can source it.

Model making is meant to be relaxing, yes?

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 8

I think you have done a great job on the decals, especially as they didn't want to play ball.

On a positive note I have found an Aeromaster sheet which has Arkansas Traveler as one of the options on it so if you want the number three or any or all of the decals for that option they are yours, just send me a PM with your address and I will get them in the post this week.

Craig.

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes some pilots carried their WW2 or Korean Scoreboards in Vietnam on Thud’s for sure. 

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Yes Dennis is spot on, the kill markings are indeed carried over from the pilots (Paul Douglas) WWII service where I believe he flew a P-38 with the same name.

Ah! It wasn't because the German moved some ME 262's into Indo China.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, back on track with this, thanks to the generosity of Modelling Minion and his spare set of ID decals.  Now the tail fin ID numbers match.  I have also taken the opportunity to touch up some of the "Forest Green".

ZLG6K3XyDIdwzkLsyFLSoHHYAhzNNMwoq2adFGW4

3Sn8Rc-kgMxMSMXmffS5SkrSyEwBZAmWEK_sTHhg

Thanks for looking, and once again thank you to Modelling Minion!

Icarus

• Like 8

I've got a couple of days off now, so hoping to get this finished (best laid plans, and all that...).  The Thud has grown legs, and is starting to heft a load:

GRPk-BZ5L3hxn_TE6KPBkwcooxpvn5vj27gb3d2z

qhNbHWYEun-n3VN8MIYtE2_NbwioawR8j7OeSld_

Note the lovely wheel well detail that comes as standard in this great Monogram/Revell kit!

Hoping to add the rest of the ordinance then weather and varnish, then should be in the final straight.

Thank you for looking,

Icarus 

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 5

Right, had a good day, with the progeny actually behaving themselves, so this is now done.  I will take some proper pictures later, utilising the unexpected "US pattern parking apron" base that I discovered on the rear of the box when I was just about to recycle it,, but in the mean time this is it.  Note the canopy fits so well that there is no need to glue it - great for future storage!

fBODCU4tQriXfdV-Vs8JDjmoAZO1DxYrFV6ccuaQ

Kgc4JonCllwHnwccZZVXheDsk6vxXD4pIDxylhbI

h9rb22hgimEBt_jPw_l6GcSo42K5KNQq72Imoq_a

KEk9z3Wig8hDYGfMLNp0li4IaWFTJ-bR5qB3ywM8

WNnf9eTyPcXne00Gefu_jfoM0gvom7ENyuER4M0m

Good fun this build, with just the right balance of detail vs ease of construction.

Right, next stop (after the Gallery) is the Mediterranean GB, for my RAAF 1/48 Mustang IV.

Thanks for looking, and once again that you Modelling Minion for the spare decals!

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 7

what can i say!!!  :thumbsup:

She looks fantastic, a classic Thud, with what come be described as also the classic load out you always see in photos of them.

It's always nice to see an "Golden Oldie" being brought along and built, well done on the great work and lovely finish. A really fine addition to the gallery.