Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-105D "Arkansas Traveler"

Icarus

Hi all.

Will be contributing this "oldie but goodie"

oMOyNU-dO5EE_mCVWyDLZUWikwVsjvwFnpvVxutG

EfWYhrc4LI5QGJxhPR48PxiAgHI-B_Jk--x4IV4D

74ZK_vKU8C1VJxoaf1IUxKICPpZC0rs8ejpvgSjq

As you can see, there are a fair number of extras to add.  I will use the "front office" bits of the Eduard F-105G PE sheet.

The decals look a bit faded but should be ok.  I have spent a while trying to decide which of the two colour schemes to do.  The "Ohio Express" version was my initial choice, as I did my surgical residency in The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, and that job was very much "Ohio Express".  However, in the end the WW2 era kills eventually swayed me towards "Arkansas Traveler".  Mind you, I haven't yet had a chance to start the Helicopter GB Wessex due to clinical commitments.  Ever the optimist....

Thank you for looking!

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 7

welcome along and yes it's great to see another F-105 and classic model in the GB....hopefully we'll see even more.

Great choice of scheme to and always nice to see some AM stuff in a build as well.

Good luck with the build I expect there will be some interest in this classic build as well.

• 2 months later...

Morning folks.

Having now finished the lovely Italeri 1/48 Wessex for the Helo GB, I now have time for this oldie but goodie.  Had fun painting then building the cockpit last night, with a mixture of kit bits and Eduard extras scrounged from an old F-105G set (front room parts only!).

ceqt8dRyEXb3PxEjsy4QkM5t752F77YTSmTzdFvi

BLJFhAA-GGh5iP5kjAWOQvQVDbXF5NzOsAKf7LPC

Being an old Monogram kit I expect this to build up fast with accurate profiles.  We shall see..

Thank you for looking!

Icarus

• Like 6

Thats a great start Icarus.

Monogram's cockpits were always pretty good OOTB but adding a bit of Eduard goodness has certainly enhanced it. Having built their F a couple of years ago you should be okay with this one, just take your time with the alignment of the main parts and you shouldn't lose many of the raised panel lines to any sanding.

Hi Icarus,

Looking good. I had forgotten you had entered this as there are so many builds listed - great to see another Thud in the GB. Hope the instructions are a bit clerer than the ones on my Trumpeter "G".

Pete

Thanks Pete - they're typical Monogram/Revell - pragmatic and clear.  The build actually looks pretty simple (famous last words), so I decided to go to town a bit on the cockpit, as this will likely be the focus of the eventual build.

Icarus

• Like 1

gee that cockpit looks great with the addition of the Eduard bits.

I agree with Craig, the more time you can spend on test fitting and getting everything fitting right the better. It'll save you heap in having to clean up any joins, especially so with those raised panel lines.

Great work, keep it up. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OK, only a bit of work last night.  Oil pin wash of the cockpit, then both fuselage halves were glued together, with the addition of the front u/c bay, gun port and wing spar (nice touch Monogram)

0m5wkylxv5r4pcCVpYOq41vkp_TBOpjYaqgmamQW

Careful alignment, with multiple pieces of kabuki and clamps, means there is very little clean up of the seam to do - handy, as this model comes from the era of raised panel lines.

Enjoying this oldie but goodie!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

You have done a great job of joining the fuselage together Icarus, looks like it won't need much tidying up at all.

She's a big old bird in 1/48 isn't she.

Monogram did a good job on the engineering on this one and nice touches such as the wing spar help to make for a sturdy well aligned build,

Morning.  A bit more construction on this last night.  Unfortunately, despite my initial optimism the fuselage joins did need a bit of sanding - nothing too dramatic.

oGXjpDvm02O8zdYl9kbOT2mehlAT0fFXIIeO6AgT

Need to fill up the nose cone with liquid gravity attach it, paint up the cockpit coving then attach and mask the canopies, then I'm into priming already.  Another fun build, to follow the great Italeri Wessex I've just finished.

Thank you for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

Canopy attached (temporarily for the rear canopy) and masked, and base layer of primer down.  Looks fine to proceed with colour scheme (apart from that seam aft of the tail, which I have just spotted!)

2QXDwN7r9CAMO6F9TvNeMfRO64v0Z3S023a2bv9o

Will touch that up with a swipe of putty later, then get started on the lower surface FS 36622.

Thank you for looking, 

Icarus

• Like 2

So, got the USAF SEA colour scheme down last night.  Looking to do a couple of touch ups tonight, then varnish ready for the (old...) decals.

DlGMUFvYSYSUJjZImM3z-4uxBJyNheF2X48y4K6e

Tailplanes are only blu-tacked on at the moment 

Thank you for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 7

Thanks.  The nose cone fit was fine.  You can see a bit of reflection from a slight rim of glue at the join in the above photo, but that disappeared with the varnish.

Great kit to make, and I did Revell/Monogram a disservice - there is actually quite a lot of engraved detail there.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 1

Oh wow!!!! She looks awesome with some colour on her! 

That's a very nice paint job you've done and the demarcation lines between the colours looks spot one. Plus you can tell you did a nice job on the surface prep as well,  well done!  :thumbsup: 

Thank you Trickyrich.  Interestingly, I used one of the cheap Chinese Iwata "clones" for this.  It is a bit temperamental, but as long as you are very careful when cleaning it not to disrupt the O ring on the nozzle, early results seem to be promising.

Looking to do a 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore with "smoke ring" colour scheme in the not too distant future, so that will be the real test!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Icarus said:

Thank you Trickyrich.  Interestingly, I used one of the cheap Chinese Iwata "clones" for this.  It is a bit temperamental, but as long as you are very careful when cleaning it not to disrupt the O ring on the nozzle, early results seem to be promising.

Looking to do a 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore with "smoke ring" colour scheme in the not too distant future, so that will be the real test!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Just did one using an Iwata HP-B+ With the .2 needle. 

If you need help/info when the time comes my link to the build thread has some info and more links to info. 

Dennis

So, after varnishing I started decaling this last night, but as I feared the decals fell apart.  I managed to reconstruct these ones, but I fear for the large white tail unit markings that are next in line to be added.

3r2MwGSnrfUdv6bHYsnNfBEvtVoNOY7QbqzVKgJT

I have resprayed the decals with Future, so we shall see tonight.  If this doesn't do the trick I may be heading for an alternate scheme (perhaps the a/c with 3 MiG-17 kills?).

The joys of model making.

Thanks for looking, 

Icarus

• Like 2

Thank you Modelling minion.  I seem to have mostly muddled through, although the one decal I have not been able to resuscitate is the final white "4" on starboard fin unit marking.  Unfortunately, as it is white, making a new decal for this is nigh on impossible.  I have put on a "7" as a temporary measure, but if you had a spare I can pay you back.

Icarus

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Icarus said:

Thank you Modelling minion.  I seem to have mostly muddled through, although the one decal I have not been able to resuscitate is the final white "4" on starboard fin unit marking.  Unfortunately, as it is white, making a new decal for this is nigh on impossible.  I have put on a "7" as a temporary measure, but if you had a spare I can pay you back.

Icarus

Give me a day to have a look through the decal stash and see what I have, I may even have a set of the original Monogram decals somewhere. And I don't want anything for them, if I have any that is.