AMT Enterprise D 1/1400 Scale Replacement Decals - Need Help!

Morning all!

I have a request for some assistance and to lean on your expert knowledge and experience please :)

when I were a lad.....about 16 at the time, I was fortunate to have as a birthday present the fir incarnation of the AMT Ertl Enterprise D model kit

Unfortunately picture of my shoddy work back then are not currently available....though If I decide to go ahead with it, they will be shown haha!

This is the kit in question.

141719-11104-pristine.jpg

Enterprise D - Scalemates

I am now seriously considering refurbishing it to look a whole lot better than my original effort. Thankfully it is still in its original box complete with the cutaway artwork that was included, so I know that everything is there to re-build it. However, performing the refurb will be a herculean task.

First, can you fine fellow modellers advise on the best way to strip parts apart and release the PS parts from the glue?  at the time it would have been Humbrols liquid poly glue

Secondly, what would be a reliable & safe method to strip the water based acrylic paint from the grey PS and clear PC components.....is Dettol still the best method to soak away the paint?

Thirdly......decals or transfers for the kit. The orginals will be obviously destroyed during the paint stripping, so I am looking for a complete set of decals and perhaps the aztecing decals as well?

I understand that Polar lights provided a set of sheets for the later released "clear" Enterprise D - but I am not 100% sure if the mould was the same for the 28year old kit vs the newer clear kit. Both are 1/1400 scale, so in theory, they should be OK? http://hdamodelworx.com/AZTEC-DECAL-SET-FOR-THE-USS-ENTERPRISE-NCC-1701-D-11400-Scale-Model-Kit_p_471.html

I found on JT Graphics a set of the standard decals, including the 500 lifeboats - http://www.jt-graphics.com/D_1400.html

Any advise or assistance in this project would be greatly appreciated.....

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• Mikey-1980 changed the title to AMT Enterprise D 1/1400 Scale Replacement Decals - Need Help!
  • 3 weeks later...

Federation Models do a PNT set of decals for the D; https://www.federationmodels.com/

Despite what is posted on federation models JT Graphics are still live and kicking, ive used them recently and they are very good, just bear in mind its operated on a part time basis, so there may be some delay in a response. 

As for advice i would strongly recommend using a decal setting solution to conform to the lumps and bumps.

For stripping the paintwork, acetone free nail polish remover works wonders, apply with cotton wall balls, leave for a few minutes and wipe off with cotton wall balls.

Hope this helps, all the best Chris

Edited by whitestar12chris
text amended
  • Like 1

Hi @whitestar12chris

Thanks for the links :)

I did look through these and decided on the JT Graphics set. All being well, when his printer is back up and running they'll be dispatched. 

I have started the refurb on the work in progress forum too. The paint stripping too the best part of a week and seems to be in reasonably good condition too. Now the long process of drilling out all of those windows.

• Like 1