Egyptian Spitfire 22 markings - information wanted.

Tony Whittingham

Hello All ,

I’m wondering about the Royal Egyptian Air Force marking applied to Spitfire Mk.22 in the 1950‘s. The only photo I can find is one in the Aircam series, which shows a white outlined roundel with  crescent and stars. The available decal sheets vary widely. Some wartime markings have the crescent and stars on the fuselage only. The Matchbox kit had white outlines, but no crescent and stars. The only currently available decals for the Mk 22 look too small in diameter.

I’d like to get this right. Anyone have information they could share? Perhaps an official marking diagram? :)

TW

1 hour ago, Tony Whittingham said:

The only currently available decals for the Mk 22 look too small in diameter.

scale?  if 72nd,  I assume that means the Tigerhead ones (which do look too small)

DSCN0227.jpg&key=a575f08d5dd932ae6bc27d2

1 hour ago, Tony Whittingham said:

The only photo I can find is one in the Aircam series, which shows a white outlined roundel with  crescent and stars.

AFAIK, the only photos of use are pre delivery

eg

http://www.venturapublications.com/news/publish/printer_Spitfires-Egyptian-Air-Force.shtml

egyptian22_3.jpg

egyptian22-2.jpg

Spitfire 22s at Luqa, Malta, during delivery from the UK 

HTH?

Hello

There is another photo in Le fana de l'aviation special edition Spitfire which shows two Spitfires Mk.22, one of them with 685 serial. Unfortunately I could not find it on the web. White outlined national markings with crescent and stars on both wings and fuselage. Apparently, serials were in the same green as EAF markings.

I made decals for EAF Meteor F Mk.4 some time ago. I believe national markings on Egyptian Spitfires have the same proportions, so I think I have this one covered, Cheers

Jure

Thanks Troy, Jure, and Blimpyboy!

This is just what I needed. The photos also disclose the presence of rocket launcher stubs, which I didn’t know were installed.

I’m building in 1/48 scale. Was thinking of 1/32, but that’s a “bridge too far”

cheers,

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Add scale commentary