Dogfight Double: Showtime vs Toon

Enzo the Magnificent

• 1 month later...

The white uppersurface areas were then masked

spacer.png

The uppersurfaces were then sprayed with Light Gull Grey.  

My preference is to use Xtracrylix XA1137. However I find that it doesn't cover very well and tends to puddle given half a chance.  So resolve that by undercoaring with Lifecolor UA025.  Although the Lifecolor paint is named as Light Gull Grey, I find it doesn't have that slightly brownish tone that I associate with LGG.    However, it does work quite well to provide some contrast panels.

I undercoated with Lifecolor, masked a few random panels and then oversprayed with Xtracrylix.

spacer.png

• Like 6

This is supposed to be a Dogfight Double build.  What about the Mig-17???

This is the new Airfix kit.   I know thois kit has come in for some critiscism due the contours of the wing leading edge.  However, I'm not going to worry about that.   I'm just going to build the kit as is. 

I've built a couple of these before and enjoyed the experience.  There is an issue with assembly, but it is easily correct.   I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Off we go.

The cockpit parts are sprayed medium grey with the fuselage interior in aluminium from a rattle can.  The tailpipe parts were sprayed with Alclad II Jet exhaust.

spacer.png

Next step is to assemble the cocpit and tailpipe parts.  There is a little niche over the nosegear bay which has been filled with Liquid Gravity.  However most of the nose ballast is from a huge wodge of lead behind the cockpit.   This is self-adhesive lead beading for stained glass windows, available on evilbay.

spacer.png

Okay...  a word about the assembly issue I mentioned earlier.   Once you get to this point, be prepared to assemble the fuselage all in one go.   The nose assembly doesn't quite sit correctly when you first fit it into a fuselage half.  If you build the fusealge in stages and allow the cockpit assembly to set, then you may have problems fitting the lower nose section and intake ring.  One of my earlier builds has an intake which is distinctly oval as a result.

If you do it all at once, you can adjust the location of the cockpit as it is setting.

• Like 4

I neglected to take photos of the wing and main assembly...  :wall:   However there are no surprises here.   The airframe was sanded and sprayed with grey auto primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Then sprayed overall with a coat of Lifecolor UA259.  The mottling is Tamiya XF-58

spacer.png

And we're up to date. 

• Like 10

Hi Enzo,

Looking good - I gather you are finding the window lead useful. I am seriously considering using it to actually make the intake trunking in the nose of my Heller Mig 19, so hopefully solving 2 problems in one go, but maybe I am trying to be a bit too clever as usual - time will tell.

Pete

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I gather you are finding the window lead useful. I am seriously considering using it to actually make the intake trunking in the nose of my Heller Mig 19, so hopefully solving 2 problems in one go

Oooh!   That's a very interesting idea!    The lead is so soft that it may be possible to smooth out any joint lines simply by smooshing the lead bits together with a sharp implement. 

• Like 1

Hi Enzo,

Worth a try anyway - a strip or two of lead round the inside of the nose fuselage for weight and to form a sort of tubular trunking, and if it looks naff I can always the skin it with my paper thin plasticard. It is really not going to be visible anyway due to the splitter and bullet fairing.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

gee the Phantom is looking very nice!! :thumbsup:

..and of course in typical Enzo fashion a model appears in bits and next instant it's almost done!!!! I had completely forgotten about the pt.2 build... and a quick "By the Powers of Grayskull" it's here! :D Looks very nice as well.

Now after all that work He-Enzo  I think you may need a wee rest.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 7:20 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

The white uppersurface areas were then masked

spacer.png

The uppersurfaces were then sprayed with Light Gull Grey.  

Hi Enzo,

Does this mean that you've just used primer for the white parts?  There's no mention of using a gloss white top coat.

Mike

8 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Does this mean that you've just used primer for the white parts?  There's no mention of using a gloss white top coat.

Yes, that's correct.   The gloss comes from a coat of clear lacquer over the top.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Is he still wearing that pink, leather, diamond studded one? The one with the studs on the inside......

Hi Guys,

Perhaps we do Enzo an injustice here. Given his motto re wearing the cheese, maybe it is not a male "posing pouch" but a Sporran as I suggested earlier, and he uses it to keep his cheese in😁!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Rich,

Thought he said his original cod-piece was too small - has he managed to get it enlarged😁?

Pete

Maybe he's stretched it?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...