New guy from BC, Canada

I used to build plastic models a lot when I was a child and teen, over 50 years ago.
Recently decided that it would be good to revisit the hobby. I am now 63.

I mainly enjoy aircraft, usually WW2 or similar, prop planes.

I recently bought a 1:48 Westland Wyvern S.4 kit by Trumpeter.

My practices and methods from "back in the day" are hopelessly dated, I am sure!
Now, I seek guidance for supplies and sources, such as :
Glue and filler
Paints and similar
Various recommendations are gladly encouraged!

• Like 1

Hello Maurice...:post1: from southeast of you in Chicago. Hmmm ... 

2 hours ago, Maurice William Hilarius said:

My practices and methods from "back in the day" are hopelessly dated, I am sure!
Now, I seek guidance for supplies and sources, such as :
Glue and filler
Paints and similar
Various recommendations are gladly encouraged!

Ok first I’ll say this, you may be tempted to go hog-wild and try every technique and idea you see. Please don't, it may lead to frustration and unhappiness. Try one new technique per build, you skills will increase quickly and you will be happier in the end. Also please ...PLEASE only build the models to make yourself happy. If you try to build only to what you think the Forum or others expect you will only get frustrated and possibly walk away from a rewarding hobby. Ask yourself this question when you are done. “Am I happy with the results” “ can I still be happy in a month or a year ?” If yes great, if not don't worry, evaluate what isn't right and try to improve that skill on your next build. 
       For materials you can still use enamels but the smell and working can be a bit unkind to some. The trends nowadays are towards Acrylics. It all depends on whats available to you locally ? I recommend that you get an x-acto or Swann-Morton scalpel, hobby nippers to cut parts off of the sprue tree’s, Tamiya extra thin glue a tube type glue possibly Testor’s, and a Superglue gel. Look for a a clear drying glue like Elmers for canopies and clear parts. Once you’ve decided on which paints you will use. Just buy what you need for the kit you are working with and Black snd White. Then with each purchase only buy what you don't already have. Your paint rack will grow more quickly than you think.
      Last buy a couple of cheap kits to practice on so you don't get frustrated with an overly complicated kit. This serves two purposes, one it helps to improve skills. Second if you are waiting for paint to dry or glue to set, you will have something else to work on or research for. Please do not be afraid to ask for help, the only silly question is the one you don't ask. Oh and I recommend you start a work in progress thread, others will stop by and offer ideas and tips, not to mention encouragement. This is the only modeling forum I belong to as its the friendliest. The few members that can be rude tend not to say much as the rest of us will come and say something. If you want to get my attention or others do this, @Corsairfoxfouruncle as it will notify the specific member of your question. That or post the question in the appropriate thread/area to get an answer. 

Dennis

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Maurice...:post1: from southeast of you in Chicago. Hmmm ... 

Ok first I’ll say this, you may be tempted to go hog-wild and try every technique and idea you see. Please don't, it may lead to frustration and unhappiness. Try one new technique per build, you skills will increase quickly and you will be happier in the end. Also please ...PLEASE only build the models to make yourself happy. If you try to build only to what you think the Forum or others expect you will only get frustrated and possibly walk away from a rewarding hobby. Ask yourself this question when you are done. “Am I happy with the results” “ can I still be happy in a month or a year ?” If yes great, if not don't worry, evaluate what isn't right and try to improve that skill on your next build. 
       For materials you can still use enamels but the smell and working can be a bit unkind to some. The trends nowadays are towards Acrylics. It all depends on whats available to you locally ? I recommend that you get an x-acto or Swann-Morton scalpel, hobby nippers to cut parts off of the sprue tree’s, Tamiya extra thin glue a tube type glue possibly Testor’s, and a Superglue gel. Look for a a clear drying glue like Elmers for canopies and clear parts. Once you’ve decided on which paints you will use. Just buy what you need for the kit you are working with and Black snd White. Then with each purchase only buy what you don't already have. Your paint rack will grow more quickly than you think.
      Last buy a couple of cheap kits to practice on so you don't get frustrated with an overly complicated kit. This serves two purposes, one it helps to improve skills. Second if you are waiting for paint to dry or glue to set, you will have something else to work on or research for. Please do not be afraid to ask for help, the only silly question is the one you don't ask. Oh and I recommend you start a work in progress thread, others will stop by and offer ideas and tips, not to mention encouragement. This is the only modeling forum I belong to as its the friendliest. The few members that can be rude tend not to say much as the rest of us will come and say something. If you want to get my attention or others do this, @Corsairfoxfouruncle as it will notify the specific member of your question. That or post the question in the appropriate thread/area to get an answer. 

Dennis

Thanks for your thoughtful words, Dennis!

I appreciate the things you have pointed out so far, such as the changes toward acrylic paints, for example.
For the one kit I am starting with there are a few good articles, including one here by Tom Cleaver.
I think I will probably spend the next month simply gathering the materials and supplies that are needed for it.

First and so far most challenging seems to be which brand of paints to be using.
Candidates so far seem to be Tamiya and Xtracrylix

The planning seems to be the most tricky part of the exercise

24 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Welcome aboard,I built the Wyvern a few years ago,its a very buildable kit

Hey Tojo,
So far I have opened the box and looked at the moldings. They do look very clean.

• Like 1

Gidday Maurice, welcome aboard. Like you I'm 63, and also did models as a kid. I re-took up the hobby about 25 years ago now. I've been a member here for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoy it. Our situation diverges a little here now - I'm about as far away from you as can be and still on the same planet (near Perth, West Australia) and my builds are mainly ships in 1/600, although I used to build 1/72 WW2 aircraft when my son was younger, and still like them.

What Dennis above (Corsairfoxfouruncle) says in post #3 is spot on I think. If in doubt start slow and cheap (hence expendable if you botch it, as we all do sometimes). Learn from mistakes, and we all make them. And build for your enjoyment.

And Dennis, I've often wondered why names are in black highlight in posts.

Enough of me rattling on - again, welcome aboard. Regards, Jeff.

Welcome to Britmodeller, my friend. I hope you enjoy your time here. 

A couple of tips.....

If you're using enamels with a brush, use the maker's thinners to achieve the right consistency. Also, transfer the paint from the bottle to a piece of plastic-card and use this as a "palette". Some beginners in the hobby simply slap the paint straight on and wonder why they can see the brush-strokes on their models (that's not being critical - we all have to start somewhere). Mix all your paint as well as you can. Also, if you're using brushes, the "cheap-and-nasty" options can be a waste of money - I would recommend that you use the best brushes you can find. 

Acrylics are a much less sticky paint than enamels and can be lifted off the surface they are applied to surprisingly easily. Treat them with kids-gloves and remove masking-tape as quickly as is practical. 

The main thing is.... enjoy! If you have learned something from every kit you complete, then your skills will grow rapidly. 

Chris. 

Greetings from Northern Alberta and welcome to the forum!

This is a great place! Anything you might need assistance with can be found here.

About where in BC? I'm up in Fort Mac.

Chris