Eduard FW190-D13 'Yellow 10' - or Twice The Pain Part 2...

Hi all,

I can now finally close out my Eduard dual combo FW190 D11/13 project (link to previous post below:)

So the second subject I wanted to do with the dual combo kit was the infamous Yellow 10. Its one thats been right up there on my build list since I first saw it when getting back into the hobby about 13 years ago and the reason I had to get the dual combo kit when I saw it :)

I love the camo and although the subject has been much done it was one that I needed on my shelf, just hoped that I could get to grips with the fine airbrush work!

Theres not much I can add about the build that wouldn't be repeating my previous post. I had hoped to work out any bugs on the first build, which kind of worked though I did end up with more of a wing root gap to sort on this one and also get over happy with glueing and clamping the wings with the plan to leave the ailerons loose to add later. Once the glue had set I realised that I managed to close the gap up they sit in between the wing halves and had to get the scalpel in there and open it up again...doh!

The kit and profipack parts were great from the box, though again I used a set of ultracast exhausts and replaced the gun barrels and pitot tube with brass hollow tubing.

Paints were mostly Gunze Aqueous for the RLM colours and Tamiya for others, finished with an oil wash and xtracrylics matt varnish.

Anyway enough waffle and on with the pics, any C&CC appreciated as always,

Thanks, Stu

M9o7bGph.jpg
nQ4eVEsh.jpg
kMrlcZ6h.jpg
Mixu1PYh.jpg
wr02mIBh.jpg
TwpPRD9h.jpg
UydtTSAh.jpg
mFxZbcth.jpg
XS8l3fMh.jpg
ddlV33oh.jpg
D6ZTyQWh.jpg
WVWrtDbh.jpg
48SDOquh.jpg

Edited by stoohoo
trying to get images on post...
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 3

Superb build and a truly excellent result, congrats.  The 'yellow 10' scheme is mind-boggling (or at least it is to me) and I think you've nailed it.  Hopefully, the ground crew back in the day were given medals for that paint work... ;)  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Superb build and a truly excellent result, congrats.  The 'yellow 10' scheme is mind-boggling (or at least it is to me) and I think you've nailed it.  Hopefully, the ground crew back in the day were given medals for that paint work... ;)  

Thanks Werdna, just posted my thanks then saw your comment.

If you decide to have a go at this I highly recommend the Jerry Crandall book on Yellow 10. It has some great profiles and a bit of a guide to show how the scheme is constructed which is a massive help. Looking at the B&W reference photos of the original plane there plenty of room for interpretation though, I guess this schemes going to be as unique as a fingerprint to everyone who has a go at it 😀

The eduard painting instructions seem to have it quite wrong though, they call for an RLM 81 base on the top surfaces and the wrap under the wings, rather than RLM75.

Agree with your comment on the ground crew, it must have been a hell of a job to paint, mind you we modellers get caught up in trying to carefully represent a mottle that they probably just threw caution to the wind and went wild with what they had 😉

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Sorry for being late to the party Stu but that is just an amazing paint job. I wouldn’t even fancy looking at instructions for it let alone having a go. As said the model ain’t too shabby either 👍

Pete

• Thanks 1