Emil 3 & Emil 7 by Eduard 1/48

Eduard's 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf109E's are once again being re-released to coincide with the 80th Anniversary of the B.O.B. not that that's the reason I decided to pull these two kits out of my stash!!

I've had these kits since they were first released the E-3 in 2012 and the E-7 in 2013, I tried various methods to reduce the incorrect length of the fuselages, not being happy with any of them they went back into the stash until now, why now, who knows!!!!!

The first kit was the Bf (or Me)109E-3 this one is a complete 'cadge up'(mess!). I tried to shorten the fuselage by removing 2mm (approx.) from behind the cockpit, what the hell was I thinking!!!!! After re-joining the fuselage halves, of course all the panel lines were in the wrong places. I did think of filling all the panel lines and re-scribing but lost interest in doing that so they are all incorrect!!! The forward fuselage had broken off forward of the wings and I had problems getting these glued back on properly. I decided to have the cowling closed and had problems fitting this to the re-attached fuselage so all in all the fuselage was a mess!!!

I cut down the wing slats which are too wide using the off cut from them to fill the cut out in the wing, this was actually quite successful. Having got this far I decided to finish the kit instead of junking  it!

The machine represented is from 6./JG26 France, January 1940 decals came from an Aeromaster decal sheet. Painting was using AK True colours RLM02(1938)/ 71/65(1938). Behold the finished article :- 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Bf109E-7 I built at the same time as the E-3 did not cause the same problems ( I learned from my mistakes 😣). I removed the offending 2mm from in front of the vertical tail surface, this left all the panel lines in the correct places and was much easier way than my stupid method on the E-3. Again I modified the slats, added a bit more detail to the interior, again I decided to have the cowlings closed. I have waiting in my stash the Eduard Bf109E-4 with Brassin engine, radio compartment and cockpit, so to my mind too many aircraft with engines exposed is unnecessary (my opinion).

This was the easier build of the two 109E's - thankfully!!

Machine was finished as Bf109E-7 of 111./ZG1, Eastern Front, 1942. Markings came, again, from an Aeromaster decal sheet. I did change the markings slightly, showing red F as per a profile on FalkeEins blog. I have always liked the look of ZG1's 109s, paint was again RLM02/71/65 as these machines were usually older ones passed on to this unit without being completely re-painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

So two 109's that nearly ended up on the 'shelf of doom' finished 😁!!!

The Eduard 109E's have come in for some 'stick' for being inaccurate and difficult to build with which I agree with to some extent, but it is not impossible to produce a reasonably accurate model from them (better than the two above!!).

Eduard have spoilt us by re-tooling their Bf109G's and Fw190's so why not the Bf109E's, probably too much to hope for 🤞!!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Both look great to me Andy. I do love a Messerschmitt with a hornet on it and your camo painting looks top notch :) From what I have seen on here on the rumour monger thread there is a new Emil on the way from Wingsy Kits which looks like it should be pretty special, so might not have to hold out for Eduard there!

Cheers, Stu

Andy,

You can be proud of both of your Emils- beautiful workmanship and the colors and weathering are very realistic; it's nice to see a well-built E-7 with a full bomb load in any scale! Unglaubich, mein freund!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm impressed you did the surgery to bring them back to 1/48 size.  My lazy self would have built them as is and just stuck them together apart from the other 109s.  How can you not like the Wasp 109s?  It is just impossible.  It's like saying you don't like the shark mouthed P-40s.  Great job on getting these two off of the shelf of doom and the modifications, although giving you problems, were pulled off and the finish of the build of the kits looks like there was never any surgery.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1