De Havilland Chipmunk - 1/48

wellsprop

I think you might be better either supplying a piece of piano wire or allowing the builder to supply their own. Maybe you could produce the wheel with the axle moulded in and then the wire leg could just be attached to the axle, maybe some Albion tube and scratch built scissor links? That should be very satisfactory and eliminates the problem of resin legs. Just a thought!!

That would seem to leave 3D masters for silicone mould resin casting  with a rod wire inserterd core- its a method I use for prop spinners etc where I cast with water clear epoxy (no shrinkage/splitting problems). White metal with a core is an option but not so kitchen worktop friendly.

For the weiight of  a completly resin chipmunk  even 0.1mm piano wire would be more than adequate.

6 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I think you might be better either supplying a piece of piano wire or allowing the builder to supply their own. Maybe you could produce the wheel with the axle moulded in and then the wire leg could just be attached to the axle, maybe some Albion tube and scratch built scissor links? That should be very satisfactory and eliminates the problem of resin legs. Just a thought!!

I won't even need to produce the wheel of torque links, that's all included in the kit. The faired bit would need to be cut off and replaced with some brass tubing.

1 minute ago, gunzo said:

That would seem to leave 3D masters for silicone mould resin casting  with a rod wire inserterd core- its a method I use for prop spinners etc where I cast with water clear epoxy (no shrinkage/splitting problems). White metal with a core is an option but not so kitchen worktop friendly.

For the weiight of  a completly resin chipmunk  even 0.1mm piano wire would be more than adequate.

It would be ideal to cast it, but it's beyond my DIY means haha

• Haha 1

I'm thinking of the join between the 3-D printed wheel and axle and a piece of wire. If I were you I'd see you easy to is to fix that wire. I would be inclined to cut off the printing above the axle then file a slot into its to take the wire and CA the wire on. If thats a strong joint then you are there. I'd just then glue the scissor link onto the wire. But, as the wire oleo must slide inside a cylinder, then I'd slide some Albion tube over the wire and then attach the scissor to the lower part of that so that the wire becomes the oleo. Worth you experimenting? Sounds straightforward to me and, providing the CA bond is good, your strength issue has gone!