De Havilland Chipmunk - 1/48

wellsprop

8 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Hi Terry, 

Both the UK and Canadian versions will be £40 including free UK postage (decals are not included). 

The engine set, should follow soon after and will be £10. 

As I'm just producing these as a hobby (rather than as a kit making company) and doing it on a small scale, I don't get the economy of scale, hence it pushes the price up. 

That said, if all goes well with the Chipmunk, I may be able to buy a new Anycubic Photon Mono X which should have double the capacity of my Photon, this could cut the price significantly.

Cheers

Ben

That's excellent new Ben. I shall look out for this as one can never have too many Chipmunks!

Thanks for getting back

Terry

@wellsprop

honestly I am not sure about the engine.   He bought it surplus and flew it down to Texas to be outfitted by a top acrobatic company, fellow named Spinks.  
he sold the plane around 72 after getting a brain tumor.   The plane went to Arizona for a few years.   I was able to follow the plane to its current owner from the tail number.   At some point it had further modifications, including a larger engine.   It is now a single seater.   In North Carolina, a doctor owns it now.   I have some pictures of it from the 60’s but I have to find them.  

put me down for a kit, would you be willing to ship to the USA?   Not for free, of course.  

Edited by Gantt

3 hours ago, wellsprop said:

@Gantt I'd love to see some pictures if you can find them!

If course I can ship internationally, costs will follow, once I'm ready to sell a few kits. 

Great project!

If you want to keep your international sales costs down then sell them on eBay & use the global shipping program.  You only pay UK postage.

Yes there are ebay fees but cheaper overall.

• Like 1

I've added some canopy frames, I'm really not sure how this will turn out on my DIY vacformed canopies, but I think it's worth a shot, hopefully it will be better than a vacformed canopy with no frames.

I'm using a 0.2mm offset for the frames.

Canopy Frames

0.2mm offset for the frames at 1:48 scale...   what chance do I have at 1:144?  :undecided:  I love your projects but they're just not my scale; however, it won't stop me following along with great interest though. :clap2:

Mike

I added frames to the canopy, printed it and vacuum formed a test canopy, all looks good.

The new cockpit has been printed and looks good, fits well in the fuselage.

I have also test printed the whole aircraft and I've found a few things that I need to correct, some design, some print related, before I can put this into production.

The kit was assembled VERY roughly as a quick test. 

IMG_20201215_214336

IMG_20201215_214048

IMG_20201215_214244

Im getting somewhere close to being ready to produce these! 

• Like 3

This looks fantastic, wet dreams are made of things like this! I have been reading through all of your posts and am very impressed as somebody who is also trying to learn fusion, this isn't easy! Makes you respect kit designers a bit more yeah?

Andy.

• Like 1

CAD Complete!

I've completed both the UK and Canadian variants, including the canopy framing, which makes a big difference :) I've learnt an awful lot making this Chipmunk and I've been using it as practice for another project I'm working on. The amount of mistakes I have made on this is shocking, I've bodged a few fixes and learnt an awful lot :D

I'm aiming to make this available more like a very limited run kit (rather than my previous kits which have been ad-hoc) and hopefully these will be available in mid-late January - watch this space!

UK Complete

Canadian Complete

Cheers

Ben

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, flarpen said:

Great
What decal options are available to buy for the British chipmunk?

Good point.

I've been really racking my brain trying to figure how to do decals (I want to build myself a few Chipmunks, hence I need decals myself and I wanted to supply decals with the kit. Unfortunately, that isn't possible - however, I intend to supply reasonable instructions on what decals to use (based on research and drawings), I'll attempt to list now most of what is needed;

• Fuselage Roundels - 18" - Xtradecal X48037
  • Wing Roundels - 30" - Xtradecal X48037
  • Fin Flash - 18" x 24" - Xtradecal X48037
  • Fuselage Serials - 8" - Xtradecal X48044
  • Underwing Serials - 24" - Fantasy Print Shop FP895

These decal sheets would allow the modeller to build any one of the UAS/AEF Chipmunk, the limiting factor becomes the amount of roundels on each sheet (I don't yet know as I haven't bought the sheets). The difficulty comes with the individual unit markings or specific markings, they aren't available.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very sorry to hear this Ben. You’re in the same  situation as Silver Wings with their Tiger Moth! But in your case you have produced a Canadian version and you probably also have enough data to produce a Rolls Royce Continental/Lycoming re-engined versions. Not models I would buy but you have that potential should you choose. Of course you could also scale up to 1/32  so your time most certainly wasn’t wasted !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Nothing lost, I thoroughly enjoyed the CAD modelling and I've learnt an awful lot!

That's the spirit! I wonder what other things you might have in mind .............. 🤔

Terry

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

You never know, yours might be a better kit!!

Does this mean that you might have capacity to do more Fairey IIID’s in 1/32? I might be interested if you could!!!

Simon

I wish!

Yep, I've now got a lot more free space and I'm printing a few 32 Faireys! 

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That's the spirit! I wonder what other things you might have in mind .............. 🤔

Terry

Any suggestions?!

1 minute ago, gunzo said:

Can't this be resolved by producing parts to thread onto suitably sized metal wire/rod/tube?

That's what I would like to do, but there is a wall thickness issue, the undercarriage legs are only just over 1mm dia, so even a 0.6mm rod gives a wall thickness of 0.2mm (far to small for a 3D printer.