De Havilland Chipmunk - 1/48

wellsprop

I have re-done the Canadian canopy and added the "kink" at the join between the front and sliding portions of the canopy, as well as reduced the bulge height. I'ts not quite right, but it's much better than my first attempt!

Canadian Canopy

Back to the day job now!

Ben

Completely reworked the Chipmunk cockpit to make it much more accurate. Detail includes the trim wheel, switches and recessed instrument detail.

I need to completely rework the print files for the wings (to include locating tabs and print new wings! Hopefully, I will start printing Chipmunks soon!

Chipmunk Cockpit

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I have realised that the tail in the plan is quite incorrect :(

The plans I used show the tail as much too high, relative to actual images of the aircraft. I compared my 3D design with the dimensions from the Maintenance Manuals which showed mine is about 2mm too tall.

In addition to this, the horizontal tail is too high but nearly 1mm so it sits on top of the fuselage, in reality, the top curve of the horizontal tail should sit more or less flush with the upper edge of the tail fuselage.

Plans Correction

Plans Correction1

The above two images show what I mean, the fuselage is fine, but original tail profile is too tall (you can see I've reduced it in the second image). In addition, it is clear the horizontal tail sits slightly too high. Neither of these images are perfectly side on, however, they clearly show the tail issues!

• Like 2

Well I suppose the problem is that everyone assumes that what exists is accurate! When Airfix made their kit in the 60’s they would have measured it as well as they could using the techniques available but until the likes of the current Airfix do a lidar scan then who knows how accurate things were, unless the model is based on manufacturers drawings as a primary source ?

10 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Well I suppose the problem is that everyone assumes that what exists is accurate! When Airfix made their kit in the 60’s they would have measured it as well as they could using the techniques available but until the likes of the current Airfix do a lidar scan then who knows how accurate things were, unless the model is based on manufacturers drawings as a primary source ?

All very good points.

The primary plans I am using, see below, are accurate in side and top profile (when overlaid with images adjusted for perspective), except for the tail. It matches the 3 view in the DHC Maintenance Manuals and Pilots notes, yet when I scaled the tail height dimensions (from the manufacturer drawings) it showed the DHC 3 views in their own publications were not accurate - they are not meant to be, they are for reference only.

Furthermore, the undercarriage positions are incorrect, the rear fuselage is slightly too high (too much work to correct now), the fin fillet should slope down slightly (not be horizontal), the wing dihedral is about 2.5 degrees (not 5), and the horizontal tail should be a bit lower. Overall, it is a very good drawing, it just needs some adjusting!

de-havilland-canada-dhc-1-chipmunk.png

I've reworked the tail to make it a couple mm smaller, in line with measurements from DeHavilland Canada publications and a number of images of actual Chipmunks.

In addition, I have added a little more detail to the rear fuselage, adjusted the control surface panel lines on hte vertical tail and added the trim tab panel lines on the right horizontal stabiliser.

I still need to add the rudder trim tab (which protrudes from the trailing edge), add the kink in the rudder, and correct the undercarriage position. 

Chipmunk Rework

Getting there slowly...!

• Like 4

On 03/12/2020 at 22:09, wellsprop said:

We have power!

Still a lot of work to do...

Hello Ben, 

I will definitely buy one of these from you. I done a 1/32 version with Gipsy Major engine, some years ago, I don't know how good it is but it looks like a Chippie to me and still rather incomplete. I have a particular interest in this aircraft as it was where I began flying before moving onto the Cessna. Keep up the good work.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is looking very promising.

I assume the core version will be a T.10? 

Having not seen it mentioned in this thread, may I take the liberty of pointing you at Rod Blievers's exhaustive photo-documenation of the myriad variations visible in the Chipmunk, especially when one gets outside the RAF service?

http://clubhyper.com/reference/whichchipmunkrb_1.htm

33 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

This is looking very promising.

I assume the core version will be a T.10? 

Having not seen it mentioned in this thread, may I take the liberty of pointing you at Rod Blievers's exhaustive photo-documenation of the myriad variations visible in the Chipmunk, especially when one gets outside the RAF service?

http://clubhyper.com/reference/whichchipmunkrb_1.htm

Hi WIP,

Yep, it will be the UK version - this could be the T.10/Mk.20/Mk.21/Mk.22 as there is almost no difference between them. 

I think I can recite Rod's article as I've been using it to help my design!

Ben

5 minutes ago, Johnedwardholt said:

Looks like Ben is doing an amazing job with this

Fancy seeing you here, welcome to the forum!

Thanks, it's been a little while in the making, hopefully starting printing in a few weeks - already bought enough postage boxes for 50 kits 🤪 Hopefully I can print 10 a week... I've had a lot of interest over on facebook for these kits, hence bigger kit numbers this time.

I bet Airfix will produce a 1/48 Chipmunk next year...

@wellsprop I have been LOOKING for a Canadian version!!    Another member here linked your thread.   I don’t know how I missed it until now.   I am definitely going to buy a Canadian version from you when you decide to sell them.  My grandfather used to compete in one and it would be a very special model for me to build.   Matter of fact, I’d like two or three if I can afford them!!   
decals are of no matter to me since I’ll be replicating his color scheme.    Here is a picture of the plane now, does not show the best parts of the paint, it left our family in 1974 and has retained 95% of the original color scheme.  spacer.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The Canadian variant is complete (the undercarriage legs need some improving and torque links adding). The lower panel line on the cowl hasn't turned up in the render...

No spin strakes on the DHC-1B2.  Otherwise it is look good.

Jim

Oh and I so rudely never responded to your comment about Flight Chops.  I feel the same way, he has inspired me to get flying again.  (I'm also quite jealous he has access to a Harvard and Chipmunk.  I've only been able to fly the former a little bit!)

Jim

1 hour ago, Gantt said:

@wellsprop I have been LOOKING for a Canadian version!!    Another member here linked your thread.   I don’t know how I missed it until now.   I am definitely going to buy a Canadian version from you when you decide to sell them.  My grandfather used to compete in one and it would be a very special model for me to build.   Matter of fact, I’d like two or three if I can afford them!!   
decals are of no matter to me since I’ll be replicating his color scheme.    Here is a picture of the plane now, does not show the best parts of the paint, it left our family in 1974 and has retained 95% of the original color scheme.  spacer.png

Wow that's an interesting modification!!! 

I guess there's a lycoming engine on that too?

Im hoping to start selling these in January :)

18 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Im hoping to start selling these in January

That's good news. I'd be curious to understand the price. The Heritage Aviation Chipmunk is still available through Coastal Craft Models (I've recently acquired two), and they are very nicely moulded resin kits. I'd be up for another quality Chipmunk in this scale, but it would depend upon the price.

Any ideas?

Terry

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That's good news. I'd be curious to understand the price. The Heritage Aviation Chipmunk is still available through Coastal Craft Models (I've recently acquired two), and they are very nicely moulded resin kits. I'd be up for another quality Chipmunk in this scale, but it would depend upon the price.

Any ideas?

Terry

Hi Terry, 

Both the UK and Canadian versions will be £35-40 including free UK postage (decals are not included). 

The engine set, should follow soon after and will be £10. 

EDIT: I'm trying to revise the cost down a tad, but it takes a fair bit of effort and careful planning of the prints.

As I'm just producing these as a hobby (rather than as a kit making company) and doing it on a small scale, I don't get the economy of scale, hence it pushes the price up. 

That said, if all goes well with the Chipmunk, I may be able to buy a new Anycubic Photon Mono X which should have double the capacity of my Photon, this could cut the price significantly.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 4