British Army Husky TSV by Meng 1/35

Faraway

I've had a bit of a break from kit building, since I finished the MRAP. Been running around feudal Japan, playing a very good game on my PS4.

But I made the mistake of looking at my stash and looked at this and thought "why not". So here goes, the box art tells you all about it better than I can. 

The first parts to be assembled and painted are the chassis, steering and suspension rubber dampers. As with the MRAP I'm painting as I go, because I won't be able to get at some of the areas after assembly. Not sure how accurate the colour is, but I like it.

Now, I'm not one who 'weathers' his kits after they are finished. But I've a mind to 'weather' this one. So, if any of you armour experts can lend a guiding hand (or word or two) I'd be extremely grateful.

Also, does anyone know if it has tinted glass, if so what colour ?

I hope you (whoever you are) enjoy following this build. I learnt a lot from the MRAP so this one should (?) turn out better. Anyway that's the plan.

Jon

p?i=2730d578339ac52732ff3165f4ae00f0

p?i=4448f19b668622de2465ffd9c9be9614

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 7

Great kit. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

The glass is either clear or a light smoky tint. It's pretty hard to tell from internet photos so you may have to choose you favourite. And if you haven't seen it already there is a great walkaround by Julien on this forum.👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

And if you haven't seen it already there is a great walkaround by Julien on this forum.👍

@Stef N. I’ve book marked the Julien post, excellent source of info.

Jon

Good Afternoon and welcome.

Bonnet assembled, just waiting for the paint to harden and will paint the lights and fit the lenses.

spacer.png

Next is the chassis with axles and suspension fitted.

spacer.png

Now, if you recall, I said I had an idea to 'weather' this build. Not something I tend to do. So the next few piccy's are before and after adding 'dirt'.

I'm sort of pleased with the result. What d'you think ? Be as critical as you like.

Jon.

Before.

spacer.png

After

spacer.png

Before.

spacer.png

After.

spacer.png

Before

spacer.png

After

spacer.png

• Like 5

Great start.. building one of these .. have amassed a large number of photos of the real thing if you need any ,,been adding detail that well may not be seen .

spacer.png

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

been adding detail that well may not be seen .

As for the detail you are adding, Blackadder had a phrase that suites ‘it rhymes with clucking bell’ what you are doing is WAY beyond my skill level. Amazing.

Jon

• Like 1

Nice start. Will be watching this as i have the kit in the stash.

I tend to do my weathering right at the end of the build, getting up into wheel wells and behind running gear with my airbrush or paint brush.

Edited by Bish
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bish said:

getting up into wheel wells and behind running gear with my airbrush or paint brush.

@BishI'll probably do the overall weathering after completion, just thought I'd do the wheel wells before I put the wheels on.

Jon.

Good Afternoon from a windy West Country.

Lights fitted to bonnet as well as mudflaps and then the whole assembly attached to the chassis, after which the front bumper was attached. And I've made a start on the crew compartment.

Jon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Welcome to todays progress.

Non slip panels on the floor painted and central storage racks assembled and fitted, along with the gunners raised platform. And I've made a start on the seats. 

It's all coming along well so far, excellent moulding and part to part fit, with very little flash on the parts, unlike my previous build from Ryefield. 

Jon

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Greetings.

Wasn't so good yesterday, kind of ran out of steam, so didn't post any photos, but here are some from yesterday and todays efforts.

Seats fitted to the floor.

p?i=d4a54c76d26830cb1ef9a993c15bc95f

p?i=761864d386043de9441c1472abe68983

Roof interior fitted.

p?i=fb0c99e5a4f31d456825fac9f753f428

Dashboard painted and decals applied, all those little whits dots are individual decals, crazy.

p?i=a3eced29edd005944787763a6591311c

Dash fitted where it belongs.

p?i=dae709b3b8c82c7f09255fd9bd8b9b4a

Entry steps (running boards) assembled, as well as the doors ready to be painted.

p?i=b29b24670e8c4ce73df95264689aa5eb

p?i=9daed1ae5603ec0dd11d78cb6451f206

p?i=2131e9ae615004bd8453caf4687af0d5

And finally, the crew compartment fitted to the chassis. Starting to look like a truck now.

p?i=4661d76bff53c2ff610e532fc1f383fe

p?i=037a2059b73e26379df9e6f137e80a04

p?i=90cfb691f341ab467bf2240ea7a4dede

p?i=8496f8b757123948c17b342f1bec5548

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Bish said:

Are you planning on filling the holes in the roof above the door or are you doing a vehicle on excersise?

@Bish Not sure what you mean, what holes ?🤔

Edited by Faraway

The 2 on the roof above the windscreen from head on.

spacer.png

The problem i have noticed with some of these new Chinese Companies like meng and takom is that they include stuff they see in photo's without know what it is or what purpose it serves. I saw that when i built takoms 432 last year and i noticed this as soon as i saw the box for the husky. The items that go in those holes are part of the TES fit that would only be on the vehiles on an excersise in Salisbury of BATUS, certainly not in Afghan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bish said:

The items that go in those holes are part of the TES fit that would only be on the vehiles on an excersise in Salisbury of BATUS, certainly not in Afghan.

@Bish I now see what you mean. I think I’ll fit the parts, simply because it’ll be a better finish than filling, sanding and repainting the roof. But I’m glad you pointed it out, I had no idea, my knowledge of modern AFV’s is very limited, I don’t usually venture out of WW1 or 2. Thanks to you, my knowledge has grown. 👍👍👍👍. Mind you I had to google TES to find out what it meant. 😂
Jon.

I'm ex army and used to drive warriors and 432's so used to useing that kit. I don't think most people are aware of what that is, which is understandable. When your in you get so used to some things and in talking a certain way, you forget that civvies might not know what you mean.

• Like 1

@Bish I know what you mean about using phrases that some people don't understand, I used to shoot, firearms and bows, and you find you get blank looks when you describe certain things. Funny you should mention the Warrior, I've just added this to my stash, not sure when I'll be starting it though.

Jon.

spacer.png

That meng kit looks nice. I recently built the old academy kit as the one i used to drive. But i do hope Meng backdate this then i would consider doing that as well.

• Like 1