US Marines TF-9J Cougar

I read an article in last month's Combat Aircraft written by Joe Copalman about the US Marines forming small squadrons of fast forward air controllers in 1966. They were called tactical air co-ordinator (airborne) or TAC(A).  The Marines essentially had fast FACs in operation 10 months before the USAF had F-100Fs 'Misty' on the scene. 

The TF-9J was a tough airframe from the Grumman 'ironworks', these platforms usually carried two 4 shot Zunis had a pair of 20mm cannon with 200 rounds per gun as well. 

I like FAC aircraft and this one had a shark mouth so it was an easy decision.  Kinetic's 1/48 offering even had the decals for one of the A Shau valley aircraft.

I'd like to say the kit was like building a limited production kit but because my last build was a Tamiya F-14A I can only say the kit is a pig. Decals out of register or just plain wrong, poor fit, chunky bad plastic, missing obvious details, etc.  The front landing gear needs lengthening to give it the right sit in case you are considering one. Otherwise despite a lot of Tamiya induced frustration there are good points to the kit and it sure looks like a Cougar.  

This was the photo that got my attention. I ended up doing number 3 as it has eyes and a red refueling probe.

3hiLenF.jpgcmbzgyV.jpgGFClQBV.jpg1Tlo8pN.jpgMriZ0AP.jpgdg7s9zW.jpgMSdPUO5.jpg5XTyqqb.jpgH1MLeJQ.jpgGOiv00r.jpgNpjNmim.jpg

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

It definitely looks the hard worked FAC. Very nice work on weathering and the cockpit. It's just a shame it's such a difficult build.

• Thanks 1

Hello Paul,

Beautiful little bird. Finished to perfection in a realistic wash.

Semper Fidelis USMC.

Regards, Orion

The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

Wow, that's a great result from the Kittyhawk monstrosity. It is the scheme I wanted to do after reading about the unit more than 40 years ago in an issue of Aircraft Illustrated. However after building the single-seater version I vowed never again.

• Thanks 1

That's a faithful replica of an airplane that did great service but was relatively unknown; what the others have said goes double for me. Too bad Monogram never got around to doing one to go with their classic but still very nice F9F-5. Oohrah! Seeing yours has given me a good scheme to do on the 1/72  Sword kit.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
deleted redundant text
  • Thanks 1