1/48 - Caudron-Renault CR.714 Cyclone by Dora Wings - CR.714 C1 released

Homebee

Only four/five years after RS Models (link), Dora Wings is to release a  new tool 1/48th Caudron-Renault CR.714 kits.

- ref. DW48047 - Caudron-Renault CR.714 Cyclone

Source: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=1929101897320378&set=a.2806061526291073

3D renders

url%5D

117886127-2806061569624402-4304391092344

118075666-2806061549624404-9079118174640

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Early days but if they mould to those rendered images, the Dora wings kit will have more detail. The RS is quite simple, very much like an early limited run kit ( think Classic Airframes without the resin).  Mine has built up nicely so far, but has stalled with my first attempts to spray the multi colour camouflage.  I did add the Yahu instrument panel which does jazz up the interior nicely.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Caudron-Renault CR.714 Cyclone by Dora Wings - 3D renders+box art+schemes
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Caudron-Renault CR.714 Cyclone by Dora Wings - 3D renders+box art+schemes+decals+test build - release in 2022

I've been hoping for this aircraft kit to appear for a few years now, and it's in the right scale for me too.

Strangely I started a wish list of WWII French aircraft just this very weekend as I was thinking that they were underrepresented in my stash (this wasn't yet on the list though). And French aircraft have a certain 'I do not know what'.😏

It will go nicely with my Dora Wings MB 151.

Thanks Dora.

(BTW my French wish list was 1/72 or 1/48:

- Bloch 174 or 175
- Breguet 693 or 691
- Potez 63 II
- LeO 451).

I have no idea if any good kits exist of these types.

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike Esposito said:

Never heard of this aircraft before! Cool obscure subject 

Paraphrasing heavily from:  'French Aircraft from 1939 to 1942. Fighters, Bombers, Reconnaissance and Observation types'

....by Dominique Breffort and Andre Jouineau.

A racer turned into a fighter. Deemed too light and weak initially but brought into use due to necessity (invasion). It was easy and quick to build (mainly wooden), and only required a type of engine not used on M.S. 406 or D520.

The Armee de l'Air had halted production in favour of better types but found use for it firstly as a trainer, then actively with a squadron of Polish refugee pilots. Of 30 planes used by the Poles 18 were operational from 24th May, being used to guard the lower Seine valley area.

The Poles fought well and scored 10 kills for the loss of 4 pilots before the Polish pilots left France to fight from Britain.

Armament 4 x 7.5 mm machine guns.

I don't know of any other squadron use.

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 2

Cheers for the background information, that explains how similar the markings options are.

Beautiful plane and the French camo scheme always looks nice, so I'm happy to see this. Hopefully we'll see some more French types in the future, Dora Wings are certainly doing a nice job with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Tool said:

Paraphrasing heavily from:  'French Aircraft from 1939 to 1942. Fighters, Bombers, Reconnaissance and Observation types'

A racer turned into a fighter. Deemed too light and weak initially but brought into use due to necessity (invasion). It was easy and quick to build (mainly wooden), and only required a type of engine not used on M.S. 406 or D520.

The Armee de l'Air had halted production in favour of better types but found use for it firstly as a trainer, then actively with a squadron of Polish refugee pilots. Of 30 planes used by the Poles 18 were operational from 24th May, being used to guard the lower Seine valley area.

The Poles fought well and scored 10 kills for the loss of 4 pilots before the Polish pilots left France to fight from Britain.

After the occupation of France, several aircraft were transferred to Finland.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dora said:

After the occupation of France, several aircraft were transferred to Finland.

Precisely: 80 "Cyclones" were donated by French govt to Finland during Finnish-Soviet Winter War, but due to the cease-fire action was cancelled and only 6 reached Finland, where the first one was test-flown on 20th May 1940 - so before fall of France (CA-551, by Esko Halme). One of them survived (in original camouflage!!!) and is now showed in Cracow Museum of Polish Aviation (borrowed from Finland for a longer period).

spacer.png

Germans did not consider the type as useful war material not only for Luftwaffe, but not even for their allies and satellites. Some captured Caudrons have been painted in Luftwaffe colours, but only to be used as a dummies on the fake airfields in France intended to mislead RAF rec during BoB.

Polish unit which used Caudrons in combat, GC 1/145 "Varsovie" Squadron, had "Finnish connection" too - as initially it was formed as a volunteer unit intended for Allied expeditionary contingent organized to help Finland to repell Soviet agression. Similarly, after the Soviet-Finnish cease fire, Poles stayed in France and flew Caudrons against Germans. Most of these pilots have been later evacuated to Britain and served effectively during the BoB and later (302 Polish Squadron badge had Polish pre-war raven, French colours and both 1/145 and 302 numbers).

spacer.png

Model looks great!!! Good work Eugene and the Dora Wings Team!

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, New Tool said:

Wikipedia has other combat stats:

"The Polish pilots scored 12 confirmed and three unconfirmed victories in three battles between 8 June and 11 June, losing nine in the air and nine more on the ground. Among the aircraft shot down were four Dornier Do 17 bombers, and also three Messerschmitt Bf 109 and five Messerschmitt Bf 110 fighters.

The Caudron fighter was also used by the Polish training squadron based in Bron near Lyon."

It's not a bad record for an aircraft judged to be unfit for first line duty (this success due to the Polish pilots though). 

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, zigster said:

Oh! I'm glad Dora Wings is holding on to their earlier announcements in French AF a/c.

I like their cammo! And hope, that MS-406 will be with us too! Thanks Dora!

French Hawk would be nice to have 🤩

Zig

I believe that there os a gentleman's agreement that Clear Prop will do the H-75/P-36 family.

Dora MS.406 is coming, IIRC they recently posted on fb that tooling has been ordered.

• Like 1

Looks so much nicer than the RS models 1/48th kit, with much more detail.  I still have no idea how I can spray that camouflage well enough to model a Finnish version though!  I am many many attempts in on the RS kit and still not happy.  

6 hours ago, zigster said:

I do agree with all above gentleman agreements, as long as I see that kit arrive in a build able form from whoever.

Do you like frenchies too bratko?

Zb

Well, the Clear Prop H-75N is a nice kit, much better than Hobbycraft, fuselage lines and cross sections look good. There is hope for a nice series of Hawks and the Mohawk.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Caudron-Renault CR.714 Cyclone by Dora Wings - 3D renders+box art+schemes+decals+test build - release in 2023
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

У кого-нибудь есть книга MPM? Это не дешево, просто интересно, стоит ли оно того.

https://www.bookworldws.co.uk/product/caudron-renault-cr-714-cyclone-the-ultimate-story/

I have.😎

This is a great edition! Very detailed, lots of photographs and color illustrations.

The model was made using this book.

• Like 5