28 SQN (Allegedly) Bristol F2B

7 minutes ago, hendie said:

I thought about starting a separate thread, and then thought - well, if I do that, my previous effort will get lost in the midst of time.

Good call sticking with this thread. Had you started yet another 1/48 biplane thread on top of the Audax and the Camel, my ability to follow, would most certainly diminish in inverse proportions to "Hendie's ability to start yet another 1/48 biplane thread", thus giving us mere mortals a fighting chance!

So the Eduard cut this time. Perhaps a better choice? Regardless of that, I'm liking what I'm seeing already.

Carry on sir!

Terry

• Like 1

What a fabulous difference in build planning, obviously Eduard actually want to give you a chance of building the model.

Who knew? 

A few people it seems, but now we are on track for the Hendie Brisfit and it is already looking rather splendiferous.

Fag packet foil, one of the few things I miss about giving up the weed back in '78 when the budget increased the price of twenty Embassy Gold from 78 pence to a quid a pack.

Almost 25% increase in one go, the Scot in me gave up smoking at once...(there's a very boring story but it is boring so I won't impart it)

Sadly that stopped  the flow of creative, smoke induced, juices but I soldiered on modelling til 85ish.

I used to use the fag-foil for straps like you Alan and also I would lift the foil off its paper backing and lay down the foil to make real aluminium panels for NM aircraft, taking off the paper left the sticky backed foil ready to lay down sticky side in onto wings and things ready for polishing up.

Carry on H, enjoying biplanes again.

• Like 3

Going apace already,  aren't you? :clap: Excellent job on the interiors :worthy:

From that dryfit pic of the fuselage halves, this doesn't seem Eduard's best effort, though...

Ciao 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo great good to see this on the go with the Eduard kit, got this one in the stash and will watch with interest .  Great start.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  My observation thus far is that the Eduard kit is not living up to the hype.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, Terry1954 said:

Good call sticking with this thread. Had you started yet another 1/48 biplane thread on top of the Audax and the Camel, my ability to follow, would most certainly diminish in inverse proportions to "Hendie's ability to start yet another 1/48 biplane thread", thus giving us mere mortals a fighting chance!

So the Eduard cut this time. Perhaps a better choice? Regardless of that, I'm liking what I'm seeing already.

Carry on sir!

Terry

Terry, if I'm being brutally honest, I think the fit and the molding quality of the Roden kit is better, but Eduard has the lead when it comes to the engineering of the kit.  I've read a few reviews where the author has stated that the Eduard detailing is better - i.e. the ribs on the wings - but I think the Roden detailing was more subtle. It was only the lacing on the fuselage that (imo) was over emphasized, but that was easily dealt with by a light sanding.

The Eduard method of lower wing/undercarriage assembly is far superior to Rodens.  Had Roden taken more care over that feature then I believe the Roden kit was far superior

On 11/29/2020 at 3:33 AM, perdu said:

What a fabulous difference in build planning, obviously Eduard actually want to give you a chance of building the model.
Who knew?

A few people it seems, but now we are on track for the Hendie Brisfit and it is already looking rather splendiferous.

Fag packet foil, one of the few things I miss about giving up the weed back in '78 when the budget increased the price of twenty Embassy Gold from 78 pence to a quid a pack.

Almost 25% increase in one go, the Scot in me gave up smoking at once...(there's a very boring story but it is boring so I won't impart it)

Sadly that stopped  the flow of creative, smoke induced, juices but I soldiered on modelling til 85ish.

I used to use the fag-foil for straps like you Alan and also I would lift the foil off its paper backing and lay down the foil to make real aluminium panels for NM aircraft, taking off the paper left the sticky backed foil ready to lay down sticky side in onto wings and things ready for polishing up.

Carry on H, enjoying biplanes again.

Eduard might want you to build the model Bill, but not without some fight, and a great deal of sanding fuselage seams.

Fag paper foil - great stuff - more being used this episode.

On 11/29/2020 at 3:49 AM, CedB said:

Great looking internals Hendie and those ammo cartridges - brilliant! :) 

Thanks Ced

On 11/29/2020 at 6:13 AM, giemme said:

Going apace already,  aren't you? :clap: Excellent job on the interiors :worthy:

From that dryfit pic of the fuselage halves, this doesn't seem Eduard's best effort, though...

Ciao 

Eduard do seem to have dropped the ball on the fuselage Giorgio.

Okay. Missives out of the way. now where were we?  Oh.  Cockpit assembly'ish.

I'll get to the cockpit later. In this weeks exciting episode, I made a jig/fixture thingy from a scrap of brass rod and some styrene sheet.

PB290001.jpg

Fixture. Holes. Twin. For the drilling of.

The brass rod fits into the strut location point and the two holes in the plastic sheet allow me to mark the location of the rigging holes with some degree of repeatability (if I'm careful).

PB290002.jpg

The F2b has these wonderful (not so much) twin rigging wires holding wings together. In between the twin wires is a single wire crossing in the opposite direction. (See my failed attempt earlier if you need more info).

If you don't get things evenly spaced then those wires can end up running against each other and looking a bit undesirable.  This fixture helps me align the hole positions relative to the strut location ensuring that the holes are in the same relative location at each strut (in theory that is)

PC010023.jpg

and then I broke my last 0.3mm drill bit so more are on order and should arrive this week.

Now back to the cockpit. The cockpit requires to be 99.999% complete before I can close up the fuselage as I'll never get my fat digits in there again once it's al fuselage shaped.

Eduard provide some PE as a frame to attach the seat belts to.  Horrible flat PE pretending to be a round thing. I hates it.

Twas easy enough to bend a bit of brass rod to shape.  Why rod I hear you ask, and not wire?   Well, rod has a higher modulus than wire. For example, wire bends very easily - in all directions. Rod is much stiffer so when you put a bend in it, it stays that way, and it's much harder to deform unintentionally while you're phenargling about trying to fit the darned thing.

PB290004.jpg

Then, when I checked my references, I could not find anything that resembled the Eduard frame.  I did try assembling the Eduard PE seat belts and just got more and more frustrated as I tried to get them to form into anything approaching a natural draped over look.  Back in the box they went.

Cue fag paper foil.  I had painted up a strip of foil when doing the ammo drums, so I sliced a thin strip of the foil at seat belt width, cut it to length, then using the PE belt as a template on top of the fag foil, I pushed a pin through each of the buckle holes. The nice thing about the foil is that it retains that hole shape. If it needs opened up a tad more, just stick the pin in it again and push a little harder.

Anyways, once I had the two main lengths cut and holed, I glued them together at the top.  Next was the two straps that overlay the belts. Each of these straps has a prominent buckle - that effect was achieved by wrapping some fine wire around around the end of some (square profiled) tweezers and cutting off the excess.

To get it to look more realistic, I wanted to replicate the bar that runs across the center of the buckle. Easy! - just lay a piece of the same wire under the strap, then use tweezers to press on each side of the wire, and the strap takes on that 'oh, there must be a bar under that strap' look.  Slap a dab of superglue either side of the raised hump, then drop the 'buckle' over the hump.

If anyone would like to see a photographic step by step on making the buckle, let me know, and I'll stick it in the next post.

PB300005.jpg

That whole shenanigan probably took less than 30 minutes from start to finish and these belts look way better than any PE effort.  Still not quite finished though.

PB300007.jpg

I cut the ends off the PE as they had the little clamped piece that stops the belts from fraying, and glued them onto their new home.  Lastly another length of strap was glued onto the V belt and here we are...

PB300009.jpg

I just need to figure out where to attach it now. I think I'll wait until the fuselage is closed up first though.

PB300011.jpg

Lap restraining straps glued in place. (The gunners bum perch will get a flat coat later).

PC010014.jpg

The instrument panel was painted up and the gun rest assembled and I completely forgot to take any photo evidence. In the reference shots I noticed that there are some additional brackets present that are not represented in the kit, so I added those from short lengths of fishing line - and took a really blurry photo. Sorry.

PC010013.jpg

Rat-a-tat machine and instrument panel fitted, and we're now about ready for close-up

PC010015.jpg

and thankfully I remembered at the last moment to cut and glue in a little piece of clear plastic for the window in the floor. And took another crap photo.

PC010018.jpg

Now it was time to close up the fuselage. or at least try to.

After a lot of messing about, this was the best I could do with the seam. It started off at about 1.5 mm wide so I'm going to call this success (sort of)

PC010019.jpg

Not only was there a gap, but the two fuselage halves were not the same shape. One side had a more pronounced belly on the underside.

PC010021.jpg

In retrospect, I should have stuck in a wedge to open it out to the same as the opposite side, but instead I just ended up using multiple clamps to try and get the two parts to mate.

PC010022.jpg

As you can see, there are a few dollops of runner goop on there as well as floodings of TET, and I'm sure there is going to be a fair amount of Mr Dissolved Putty just for good measure.

I see a lot of sanding in my future.

• Like 17

Cockpit and belts look ace, Alan! :clap: :worthy: :worthy:

And you reinforced my conviction about never building a biplane model - I must be allergic to rigging... :hmmm:  :rofl:

Ciao 

• Haha 2

I'm beginning to wish you'd redrilled and pegged the other one now.

All that application of force to get it lined up, yow!

Still you soon Hendie these things don't you, definitely no biplanes in my future story!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, heloman1 said:

Excellent work on the cockpit Alan, I do like the rigging drilling jig, a neat idea.

Colin

Thanks Colin - simply a re-purposing of someone else's idea, but it did the job.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, giemme said:

Cockpit and belts look ace, Alan! :clap: :worthy: :worthy:

And you reinforced my conviction about never building a biplane model - I must be allergic to rigging... :hmmm:  :rofl:

Ciao 

I was too Giorgio but somehow I now have three on the go at once!

On 12/2/2020 at 5:45 PM, CedB said:

Lovely stuff hendie - amazing internals, especially those belts :) 

Ta Ced

On 12/3/2020 at 7:45 AM, Massimo said:

Superb detailing Hendie!!!!

That would be nice!!!

crapola! I forgot.  I'll try to remember to take some at the next session. Sorry M!

On 12/3/2020 at 8:19 AM, perdu said:

I'm beginning to wish you'd redrilled and pegged the other one now.

All that application of force to get it lined up, yow!

Still you soon Hendie these things don't you, definitely no biplanes in my future story!

It's still sitting there Bill... goading me to try again.

talking of trying again... The fuselage is now buttoned up and the seams don't look too bad though they will require a smidgen of work

PC030001.jpg

while waiting for the fuselage to harden up I attacked the struts with the oils.  I think I have the hang of those oils now. These struts look a lot better than my last attempt.  A little bit of detail painting and they're done.

PC050003.jpg

Of course, when I went to coat them with clear orange, I discovered my clear orange was in fact a plain old opaque orange so now I'm waiting on the next arrival of survival supplies

Meanwhile, back on the apron, The radiator grill needs glued on the front end.  Eduard provide a pin for the airscrew and expect you to glue it in place.

A few swipes with a file brought the rear face of the pin in line with the bulkhead, and I glued a support piece on the back end - this will allow the airscrew to spin - at some point.

PC050002.jpg

Radiator in place. A little bit of fettling was required to get the nose cowling to fit in place without too many gaps.

PC050004.jpg

Anyone notice anything here? 

Note on the Roden kit, the front vent is merely an oval cut out, but on the Eduard kit, it has a scoop.  Unfortunately none of the photos I have of 28 Sqn a/c are of good enough quality to determine if the scoop is fitted or not. In the absence of any of your actual evidence stuff, I have left it as is - at least for the moment.

PC050005.jpg

Before fitting the gunner position ring plate, I added the cross bracing from pieces of wire - what a palaver that was

PC050006.jpg

It wasn't any easier at the front end, but what has been seen cannot be unseen.

PC050007.jpg

Then gunners plate in position.  This was a real pig to get a decent fit. Eduard decided to have the mating faces angled so lots of scraping and dry fitting to get it to settle in there and play nicely.

PC050008.jpg

Next up was chiseling some more fuselage openings.  I think I've got most of them now though I'll need to run through the references and double check.  There's always one that hides away somewhere.

PC050009.jpg

a quick blast of primer shows that the seams are good (enough)

PC050010.jpg

the ceremonial fitting of the tail feathers after yet another sanding - just to make sure.

PC100011.jpg

I salvaged the windscreen frame from the Roden build as it didn't fit that kit but seems to fit the Eduard kit without too much trouble, along with another couple of pieces of PE - one of which I now think is in the wrong place.

PC100012.jpg

After all that it was time for some primer and some pre-shading - a task I am hopeless at, but hey - you just never know

PC120014.jpg

then I completely forgot to take any supporting evidence of the actual paint job before masking up for the PC10.

The masking on these is a bit fiddly as the PC10 wraps around the under surface slightly.  I opted for the template route - this time tracing the outline on a piece of card then trimming the card to shape - then using that to cut the masking tape. Surprisingly it worked out quite well

PC120019.jpg

when I came to do the same thing with the wings, I found a really annoying mold mismatch. Out with the micromesh again

PC130020.jpg

All masked up

PC130021.jpg

and PC10'd

PC130022.jpg

when it came to splurting the PC10 I realized that I hadn't pre-shaded the wing upper surfaces, however, the PC10 was pretty good at doing it's own pre-shading.  I went along all the ribs a few times first before going for the whole wing approach, and the effect turned out to be probably the best pre-shading effort I've produced so far.  I'm sure others could do far better, but painting is not one of my strong suites

PC130023.jpg

I'll leave that to harden up then hit it with a gloss coat in preparation for the decals.

• Like 11

On 12/14/2020 at 3:12 AM, giemme said:

Didn't look that bad of a fit, in the end - or so you made it look :winkgrin:  great to see paint going on, I love the self pre-shading :D  :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio.   It is going together but not without a fight.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:40 AM, perdu said:

Preshaded PC-10 looks brilliant Alan, properjob Hendie stuff.

I'm loving  this against all my instincts.  :(

:)  :)  :)  

thanks Bill. Likewise... against my own instincts, I am enjoying these biplane builds.  I have to with 3 on the go at once.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:49 AM, CedB said:

Very nice work hendie - oh my, those internals! 

Very smart.

Painting looks great too :) 

Thanks Ced.  The internals on the Eduard kit are better than those of the Roden, but overall, I still believe the Roden kit has the edge - if only they had thought out that undercarriage mounting better.

What have we been up to since last dropping in then?  Well, painting mostly.  Yeah. Painting, bl**dy painting.

The front end got a coat of some flavor or other of dark grey

PC150001.jpg

Which actually went on without any bleed!  The masking was a bit awkward as I really should have done the grey first, then the PC10.  As it was, I had to mask over all the ziggy zaggy threading - thank heavens for Aizu once again.

PC150002.jpg

Underside turned out nicely with just a slight wraparound of the PC10.  I think the wraparound on the tail feathers is a bit heavy, but I'm going to let it go.  Obviously, it was a new seamstress at work that day

PC150003.jpg

Ced, here's what I was talking about regarding Roden having the edge on exterior detail.  Roden on the right.  

I think the Roden detail is sharper, and there's more of it - the rivets along the exhaust bulge for instance are a nice touch.

PC150004.jpg

Some kind of towel rail got fitted on the underside - and I even remembered to remove the masking on the little floor window

PC160007.jpg

The gun sight got a coat of black to make it stand out. Don't ask how many times I have bent that thing over - I'm surprised it's still attached.

PC160008.jpg

On the wing undersides I added a little bit of detail painting for the brackets and hatches.  Brackets in black, and the hatches were a mix of off-white for the frame, some Depot Buff for the hatch itself, and a touch of black for the latch mechanism.

Followed by an eye bath for the orbs.

PC160013.jpg

some more eye strain on the upper surfaces.  I used a grey on the foot panels on the wings as I felt silver or aluminum was too shiny and contrasty.  The grey has a slight shine to it and sort of looks like aluminum that's started to oxidise a touch.  Works for me.

PC210032.jpg

I started assembling the undercarriage framework. The front brackets went on without a fight, but it was a different story with the rear.  I cut both from the runner with a razor saw, spent ages carefully trimming them and removing seam lines - turned around to pick something up, and when I turned back, one of them had gone all Jenny Agutter on me. Could I find it anywhere? Of course not.  I checked everything, everywhere and it was not to be found.  I even swept the bench and the floor and sifted through all the debris... nothing. In desperation I turned to my styrene stock and found a rod of the right diameter.  After some bending and twisting with fine nosed pliers I got the support thing to fit.  I replaced both of them so there wasn't a mismatch - in case anyone ever got that close!

PC160012.jpg

Now here's a good one... Eduard staff must have written the instructions on April 1st.   In the lower wing, there are two holes for the undercarriage to poke through.  Eduard in their wisdom inform the user to drill a 1.2 mm diameter hole through the wing - but there's a square boss on top of the undercarriage leg which locates in a square recess in the fuselage and guess what?   Across the diagonal, the square boss measures 1.46 mm.  

PC160009.jpg

1.2 mm hole my ()*() !!! 

I used a rat tail file and gradually opened it out until I could fit the undercarriage legs through the opening.

PC160011.jpg

The Eduard designers were playing around that same day - how are you supposed to get this ring out without damaging anything?   (I did eventually, but with extreme care and with a fragment of razor saw)

PC170015.jpg

Mr Dissolved Putty on the leather coaming to remove that uniform 'machined' look.

PC170014.jpg

Then painted with Model Master leather. Flat coat to be added later.  I also painted the nose cowling radiator cap and some other disc thingy a brass color just for some contrast.

PC170016.jpg

and from up front...

PC170017.jpg

The airscrew was painted Model Master Wood, then a few drags of Burnt Sienna oils and it turned out very nicely.  I think I am getting the hang of this oil paint malarkey now.    The first time I attempted this back on the stalled Roden kit, I let the oils dry for a while first before applying them and while it looked okay'ish, it did appear very lumpy.   I used that method as I had read about several other doing it that way.  However, I think applying the oils 'wet' gives a more realistic grain look - I just keep dragging the oil back and forth with a soft brush until I get what looks to me like a realistic grain effect.  It doesn't seem to take any longer to dry that way either.

PC170018.jpg

Same with the struts, then when the oils dried, I painted an off-white around each end to simulate the linen wrapping.

PC170019.jpg

At this point I took a step back and took a good look at my bench.  This was getting out of hand. I couldn't find anything - mainly the things I had only just put down and needed again.  It was time for a clean up.

PC200020.jpg

and look what I found!   4 Biplanes.  Who knew !

PC200027.jpg

After this I spent a couple of days clear coating various bits and pieces and touching up (careful!) the effects of my inherent clumsiness.

Eventually it was time for transfers - some of these needed to go on before the rigging started

PC200021.jpg

Like these on the underside of the upper wing.  A nice touch by Eduard - even if they don't look exactly like the ones I see in walkrounds

PC200022.jpg

same on the tail surfaces

PC210033.jpg

I then spent many wasted hours trying to sort out decals.  Many. Many hours.  Something went awry with the files I sent him the other week and I wasn't aware of it until I saw the proofs this week.  I probably spent half a day or more redoing the decal sheet to sort things out. I think we're in a good place moving forward but it does mean there will be a delay until I receive them.  What's new then, eh?

At least I could get on with the generic transfers to at least get me to the rigging stage

Or so I thought... 

The Eduard decals weren't up to much. Eduard?  Well, this is actually a Revell kit using Eduard molds - and I keep forgetting that. No wait - that was the Cemal kit I'm working on.  Too many darned biplanes - turns the mind to mush. I can't even remember what kit I'm working on now!

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I wasted ridiculous amounts of time trying to sort out such simple things as roundels.  They were either out of register, or like these - bits of color missing, which was really annoying

PC150005.jpg

I even went as far as cutting out my own masks from the (useless) Montext masks I bought for the last F2b. - Then I changed my mind

PC200028.jpg

and after a LOT of palaver I got this far.

PC210031.jpg

Camel wing at top and F2b wing at bottom, with a couple of disintegrated decals thrown in for good measure.  Those are now settling in with copious amounts of microset/sol to get them to play nicely.  There's still going to be plenty touch ups required on the roundels as they have broken in a couple of places where they have settled over detail. 

I should be able to get them fixed tomorrow and a coat of clear on top of them.

With all that drama, let's finish on a high(er) note shall we?

This time the fuselage actually sits on the wing and doesn't try to fall over in random directions.

PC210039.jpg

Side shot - just dry fitted. (and the exhaust brackets got glued in place too)

PC210036.jpg

I'm on vacation (supposedly) this week though I have work screaming at me to help out in a bit of an emergency of someone else's doing  I think my response is going to be  :rofl2:  

So I may get some more work done on this, the Camel , and the Audax, and be able to post on a more regular basis than I have over the last few weeks

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Great work indeed hendie - you've pushed through the problems and ended up with stunning results.

I mean, look at that wraparound. And the internals. And the prop. And the…

Stunning :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 6:56 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed, Great work. 

On 12/22/2020 at 1:31 AM, CedB said:

Great work indeed hendie - you've pushed through the problems and ended up with stunning results.

I mean, look at that wraparound. And the internals. And the prop. And the…

Stunning :) 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:23 AM, Hamden said:

What else is there to say!

Stay safe          Roger

On 12/22/2020 at 3:33 AM, perdu said:

The boys have a phrase for it, who am I to disagree?

Nobody, 'acos I don't.

Stunning work going on here/there.

(Worrying about if you are going to play Galahad again, don't do it!)

Thanks Bill, Roger, Ced, and BigBadBadge

On 12/22/2020 at 4:01 AM, Brandy said:

Coming along beautifully Hendie. It must be nice doing all this in such a large scale! 

(Ducks and runs!)

Ian

but when you take the size of my hands into account I'm probably working in a smaller scale than you Ian  😉

On 12/22/2020 at 5:32 AM, giemme said:

Wow, what an update, Alan! :worthy:Despite of the fight this kit is putting up with you, it's coming along very well :clap: Love the wood grain effect, BTW

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio.

Only the smallest of updates today folks, mainly to prove that this build is not dead and even tho' things are slow, it's still moving forward. Glacially as Bill would put it.

The machine gun got painted up and some PE fitted. I cheated here and cut slots with a razor saw for the two PE parts as there was no way on earth they would ever have stayed in place otherwise.

PC300020.jpg

The scarff ring was built up.  It's very different from the Roden scarff ring but builds up fairly easily, and would have been easier if the location pins hadn't been short shots. I realize that it's not 100% accurate but conveys the message sufficiently I think

PC300021.jpg

slightly different angle showing more gun detail

PC300022.jpg

The Eduard kit provides a play seat for the gunner in PE, but I went for the ubiquitous fag foil paper and a couple of lengths of wire. It was so much easier to form than the PE parts

PC300035.jpg

dry fit

PC300036.jpg

and same dry fit - different angle

PC300037.jpg

and that's the update for today folks - as I said, not much, but we are moving in a generally forwards direction.  I'm not sure there's much more I can do with this until the decals arrive, so, until then.... toodle pip and all that

• Like 7

You may have big hands, but they deal very well with all those tiny bits! :worthy:

I shall shamelessly copy that idea of painting the machine gun while still on the sprue for my Stuka build.

Wait: where did Italeri put the gates for it? :hmmm: I'm probably heading into a disappointment...

Ciao 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Wait: where did Italeri put the gates for it? :hmmm: I'm probably heading into a disappointment...

I had to cut through two other gates and razor saw off the studs before I had enough clearance on this one Giorgio.  That just let the gun attached via the handle. When all the paint was dry, a few quick swipes with the razor saw removed the rest of the runner and the bottom of the handle was touched up - in the nicest possible way of course 

• Haha 1