28 SQN (Allegedly) Bristol F2B

On 2/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, Massimo said:

Welcome to the club!!!

Rigging to me is one of those things... but you did a fantastic job!!!

Well done!!!

And I've seen somewhere else you're experiencing the 3D printing stuff with great results too!!!!

Chapeau!!!

Massimo

thanks Massimo.  Lots more (f)rigging this time around too

On 2/22/2021 at 3:05 AM, giemme said:

Well, who wouldn't... :rofl:

Impeccable rigging, Alan :worthy:  :worthy:

Ciao

PS. and some acrobatic masking, too :D 

ta Giorgio.  Impeccable huh?  I think I have another term for that.

On 2/22/2021 at 3:37 AM, TheBaron said:

Giorgio used the word 'impeccable' for your rigging Alan and he's dead right. :thumbsup2:

That should have you all limbered up now for work on the pilot's moustache.

'Spider - Ian

Spider - Ian,

Does whatever a...' ahhhh that's not going to work...

Nanobots. That's wot we modelers need. Any chance you can print some off?

On 2/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, Brandy said:

The rigging looks excellent Alan. I've found the best way to reduce the bend at the end of each wire is simply to go to finer line - as fine as you can! I use 0.06mm which is in scale for 1:72 but a bugger to see without running it across a permanent marker. That would mean 0.09mm would be correct for scale in 1:48. At about half the thickness of what you're using that should help a lot!

Ian

Ian you are once again correct.  I used two different thicknesses of rigging as there appeared to be two different weights on the reference shots.  In retrospect I should have gone fine and ultra fine instead of medium and fine.  Live and learn.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:55 AM, CedB said:

What a catch up! 

Thanks for the tip on the cabane strut positioning - I'll try to remember that!

Looking pretty amazing from here :) 

thanks Ced.  When are we going to see you dip your toes into rigging then?

On 2/23/2021 at 6:07 AM, Marklo said:

Looks really well.

I find that different monofilament behaves differently depending on the material as well as the thickness,  I have a .4mm line that flexes really well and doesn’t bend but a similar thickness line in grey that does.

thanks Marklo.  The fine worked great but as Ian commented, I was probably too thick on the main rigging.

Right.  A bit of a mammoth post this time around but I had a two day session and managed to get this thing finished (I think)

The new supply of EZ Line arrived and I started of with the tail rigging.

P2270001.jpg

and as soon as I had completed that I realized that I had rigged it wrong!  'doh! That particular line should have gone to the mast on top of the tail fin.  Let's try that again shall we?

Later that afternoon we had got this far - with lines in the right places.

P2270002.jpg

Dammit. Forum ghost posted again.

Carrying on, we got the exhausts in position alongside the fuselage.

P2270003.jpg

The tail rigging went smoothly after my first mashup.

P2270004.jpg

Then it started to get complicated

P2270007.jpg

Even more complicateder

P2270008.jpg

This thing is starting to become a real nightmare to hold and move about as more rigging goes on.

Then I complicated things even further by adding the frail and delicate tail skid. Not without mishap though.  I originally glued those support struts on back to front and in the wrong location, luckily catching it in time to reposition without too much damage.  It pays to keep looking at your reference shots even when you think you're almost done.

P2270010.jpg

The lower wing underside was sprayed just after my last posting and that allowed me to get the last of the decals in place. At this juncture they're on and well stuck. I'm just waiting on them to dry before I slit in between the wing and ailerons.  Bomb racks also glued in place. oh, and wheels to.

P2270011.jpg

The rudder has double rigging lines so I used this method to get a 'double' wire through the fuselage. EZ line superglued to a piece of wire then fed through the openings.

P2270013.jpg

While waiting for something to dry - I think it was the clear coat on top of the decals I made a start on the bombs.

I think this is the first aircraft I have done which actually has bombs on it.  A quick google found some 20 lb bombs which these appear to be and they were then painted yellow

P2280015.jpg

...before deciding that particular yellow was too vibrant.  I remixed another batch, this time with a lot more white in the mix to achieve a paler yellow.

These little sods also have a red band and a green band around them. After some frantic searching I managed to find some red lines in my decal stash and they were perfect for this job.

P2280016.jpg

I had some green decal but it as so old that it disintegrated when I put it in water so there was nothing for it but to paint, or at least attempt to paint the green stripes.

For the most part this went okay though I did make a hash of a couple of them.

P2280020.jpg

By the time I had painted the bombs the clear coat was dry so it was back to the last of the rigging.

P2280017.jpg

Almost there.  There are still the two wires on the nose to fix, but as that's about the only place I can use to grab this bird then they are staying off until the absolute last moment.

This shot of the underside shows nicely just how complex the rigging on this thing is

P2280018.jpg

The double wires to the rudder were glued in place

P2280022.jpg

then finally the two nose wires were glued

P2280023.jpg

It shows up a lot better in this shot.  To have been 100% accurate I would needed to have cut slots into those vents but at this stage in the game I was too chick to try something like that.

It looks convincing enough from a distance.

P2280024.jpg

Bombs were attached to the racks and then glued on the underside.  I'm much happier with the paler yellow

P2280025.jpg

Then it was tie to add the propeller.  I have to say that I am very pleased with the wood grain finish I managed to obtain on this one.

P2280026.jpg

Almost complete.  If I am brutally honest, I think the undercarriage is a bit wonky, but I didn't have much chance in fixing it as the angle of both legs is dictated by the holes in the wings as the legs angle through to the fuselage. However, in this build I am prepared to accept that defect as I really can't face dismantling it or making a third build. 

I'll put it down to a heavy landing

P2280028.jpg

that just left the scarff ring and the machine gun

P2280032.jpg

and with that, (I think) I can call this build completed.

There's a tiny bit of damaged decal on the back end of the rudder but I'm in two minds as whether to repair it or not. It sort of looks like wear and the red paint has rubbed off showing white below and for some reason I quite like it.  It's an easy enough touch up so I'll think on that for a little while before making a decision.

P2280033.jpg

To finish off this post I'll throw in some more shots of the finished aircraft.

P2280029.jpg

P2280031.jpg

All that work on the interior and what can you see?  Nowt.

P2280036.jpg

That tail rigging was a lot more complicated than I anticipated, especially with those double wires going to the rudder and to the elevators.

P2280048.jpg

P2280039.jpg

P2280040.jpg

P2280043.jpg

I think the exhausts stand off too far from the fuselage as some of the rigging wires are almost touching them, but any attempt now to remedy the situation will likely end in tears.

P2280044.jpg

P2280046.jpg

There!  I'm calling that done. A Bristol F2b in my collection, albeit at a 2nd attempt.

Now I can get back on with that Audax though it's been so long I have forgotten where I was at and what my next steps were going to be.  Backwards probably.

A quick dust off and that can go in the cabinet along with the camel.

• Like 16

Gorgeous hendie, a lovely model that is :) 

1 hour ago, hendie said:

When are we going to see you dip your toes into rigging then?

Oi, cheeky! Looking at the ceiling I can see Amy's Jason, a Tiger Moth and 'the Rapide' so dipped I have! Fnaar!

Mind you, I have a WnW Camel in the stash that scares the bejabers out of me…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

Nanobots. That's wot we modelers need.

This them? :rofl:

10 hours ago, hendie said:

P2280016.jpg

Your pains with all that rigging were truly worth it my friend - the finished aircraft is a delicately strung treasure that gleams beautifully in the light.

Congratulations on such a class result.

• Like 2

Very nicely done Alan, she looks fantastic. 

Did 28 Sqn ever fly a Shorthorn? That could be fun!

(Ducking out of the way)

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh my, all that rigging! :frantic: It really paid off in the end, though - beautifully intricate model :worthy:  :clap:  

And I agree with Bill @perdu , don't change anything :) 

Ciao

• Like 2

Magnificent.  I wouldn't bother with fixing the blemish on the rudder; I had to look for it, and even once found I wan’t 100% convinced it wasn’t deliberate.

Think of it like a beauty spot; a flaw deliberately introduced to draw attention to the perfection that surrounds it.

• Like 6

Absolutely  superb build Alan. Always loved the Bristol Fighter. Made a few as a boy, each with an incredibly  similar assymetric wing planform and stagger. That took me real skill to achieve that did. In comparison yours is a masterpiece!

Terry

• Like 1