Corpo Aereo Italiano - Italy's part in the Battle of Britain

50239989371_acfed513f0_o.jpg

I don't often post finished builds in RFI if they're part of an ongoing group build. In this case, for a change, I'm really chuffed at how they came out, and wanted to share them further.

As you know, as if I haven't mentioned it one or three times, I have an obsession about 1940. It sprang from an interest in the Battle of Britain itself, and a desire to try and build an example of every aircraft that took part in that epic struggle. Good histories of the Battle mention the part played by the Italian Air Force. More often, the Corpo Aereo Italiano is conveniently forgotten, or simply classed as a side show or footnote, perhaps because the German authorities effectively wanted nothing to do with it and didn't involve the force in any strategic planning.

Italy declared war on Britain in June 1940, siding with Germany. Most of the aggressive activity took place around the Mediterranean, but Benito Mussolini persuaded Hitler to let an element of the Regia Aeronautica take part in what was the Battle of Britain. Consequently, an expeditionary force was formed, the Corpo Aereo Italiano, on 10 September 1940. Aircraft were despatched to autumnal Belgium post haste.

Some failed to make it across the Alps, for various technical reasons I shan't go into here. Eventually, Fiat CR.42 and G.50 fighters and BR.20 bombers, were set up in three Belgian bases. They were to remain in Belgium until mid-April 1941, when the aircraft that had survived were redeployed back to warmer climes. 

It is often thought the Italian entry into the Battle of Britain was inconsequential. The fighter pilots, it is true, suffered from poor experience in bad weather flying, and the fighters themselves were desperately short of range and armament. The bombers, however, when working well, were more than capable of the task set them. The reaction, from both the German and British perspectives, to these brightly coloured aircraft arriving in the late summer of 1940 can be guessed at.

Chapter and verse on the CAI and its exploits can be found on this Wikipedia page. This page gives a good account of the CAI, and how well (or not) the various aircraft did

For the purposes of this RFI post, the three main aircraft types are shown, representing the CAI itself, rather than individual posts for each plane.

Fiat BR.20M Cicogna, 4 Squadriglia, 11° Gruppo, 13° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Melsbroek, Belgium, September 1940.

1/72nd scale Italeri with Eduard PE interior and exterior details, LF Models resin wheels, painted with ColourCoats enamels, Humbrol acrylics and enamels for detail work.

50239551423_c0d03ab112_o.jpg

50239551613_c99b07a2d1_o.jpg

50239551738_a065f420fa_o.jpg[

50240413367_965afbc06a_o.jpg

50240413547_04683e390a_o.jpg

The Fiat BR.20M Cicogna - the name means "stork" in English - was the mainstay of the Italian bomber fleet at the outset of World War 2. The first all-metal bomber to enter Italian service in 1936, it was already becoming obsolescent by 1940. That said, the type had seen service in the Spanish Civil War, had been sold to Japan where it was flown in support of their occupation of China, and when compared with its contemporaries from other countries it actually stacked up quite well.

A twin-engined design, powered by a pair of Fiat A.80 R.C.41 18-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engines, driving 3-bladed all metal variable pitch propellers, the BR.20M was capable of carrying a 1,600kg bomb load nearly 3,000km. The crew of five consisted of pilot, co-pilot, bomb aimer and front gunner, radio operator/navigator and upper gunner and a belly gun position. Self defence was in the form of three 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, and sometimes a pair of guns could be fitted into side windows. 

The kit is of its age. First released in 1972, it carries the full complement of raised panel and rivet lines. I decided not to erase the latter, which perhaps was a mistake as the areas where filling and sanding have taken place have shown the remaining rivets up quite nicely. The transparent parts were quite thick, and had ejector pins and other impedimenta in awkward places. Modifications, outlined in the WIP thread, were needed to let the aftermarket internal detail set to fit properly. Although the parts count was quite low, the overall shape of the model looks about right, and I liked having the separate control surfaces so they could be offset a little to give some life to the model. I enjoyed learning to paint the random mottle camouflage, and I think the finished model has turned out well enough to find a place in my 1940 cabinet. My thanks to everyone who pitched in with their knowledge of the Italian air force and with ideas to overcome issues during the build.

Fiat CR.42 Falco MM 5668, 83a Sqd, 18° Gruppo, 56° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Ursel, Belgium, October 1940.

1/72nd scale plastic, resin and photo etch kit from Mister Kit. Painted with ColourCoats enamels for the main camouflage colours, Humbrol and Xtracrylix acrylics for detailing.

50213975762_65786dfae3_o.jpg

50213975907_8507bf0356_o.jpg

50213707706_3032581e1f_o.jpg

50213976347_32f3b0bf46_o.jpg

The Fiat CR.42, a single-seat sesquiplane, was a development of the CR.32, fitted with a more powerful Fiat air-cooled radial engine. It proved agile, but was technically outclassed by faster and more heavily armed monoplanes of the period. Armament consisted of a pair of 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, mounted in front of the pilot and synchronised to fire through the propeller. CR.42s were also capable of carrying a pair of 200kg bombs on hard points under the lower wing. Falco means falcon, as in the raptor species.

This model was built from a Mister Kit limited run kit. At about the same time I brought it down from the shelf to build for the Group Build, Italeri announced a new kit for the CR.42. If you plan to add this little Fiat to your collection, my advice would be head that way, and not from where I came. Still, it turned out adequately in the end, and I even learned how to drive my airbrush for the camouflage!

Fiat G.50 Freccia MM 5403, 352 Squadriglia, 20° Gruppo, 56° Stormo, Corpo Aereo Italiano, Flugplatz Maldegem, Belgium, October 1940.

1/72nd scale limited run kit from AML, in plastic, resin and photo etch metal. Painted with ColourCoats enamels for the main camouflage colours, Humbrol and Xtracrylix acrylics for detailing.

50213978627_18c5f638df_o.jpg

50213185513_545b9a6980_o.jpg

50213709871_dabcc4157f_o.jpg

50213710036_f93a138e65_o.jpg

The Fiat G.50 was a rather dumpy looking low-wing monoplane. It entered RAI service in 1938, also serving with the expeditionary force in Spain. Early models of the G.50 Freccia (it means arrow) had a fully enclosed cockpit. Pilots, however, disliked this feature, claiming the perspex scratched easily in the dry and dusty operating environments they flew from. The open cockpit was adopted, and even hinged clear panels added to give a little more protection from the slipstream.

Powered by the same air-cooled radial of its sesquiplane brother the CR.42, and armed with just two 12.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, mounted on the nose and firing through the propeller, the G.50 was capable of a maximum speed of 470kph, and a maximum range of 445km.

The planes deployed to Belgium were hampered by poor range, no cockpit heating - so who likes an open cockpit now, eh? - and, when fitted, wireless sets that failed regularly. Like the rest of the CAI, redeployment to Italy and North Africa couldn't come soon enough. Photos of the period show the camouflage applied did not survive the colder and wetter climate in north-western Europe, and many planes ended up looking particularly scabby. I've aimed at a little chipping, just for fun. 

I guess Italeri have one in their range, and Airfix has an elderly kit of the type, so unless you really enjoy trying to make silk purses from sow's ears, pass over this kit if you find one.

WIP thread here for all three builds:

• Like 63
  • Thanks 3

Heather: these are works of art, and truly honor the brave crews that were ordered to fly them into the BoB fray (another unwise move by Il Duce).  Your paints and details are spot on, and really belie the small size/scale of these subjects.  They are truly a feast for the eyes.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

They are truly a feast for the eyes.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thank you. I was only saying to Best Beloved that these have made a great break from the usual green and brown fare that makes up so much of my collection.

1 hour ago, VolkerR. said:

Great models, great stories!

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Superb collection and background stories! I didn't know Italy deployed so many different types. They all look gorgeous.

As well as the three Fiats, according to Wikipedia at least, five CANT Z.1007 and some Caproni Ca.133 transports were part of the fleet. I am keeping an eye out for suitable kits of those planes so the CAI collection can be completed.

All 3 of these are beautifully done!  Love your airbrushing, it really looks wonderful. Also great photos and I appreciate the write-up.  I also really appreciate the history of these aircraft, it adds the story behind them which is a whole other dimension.  Thanks for posting!

Thanks for sharing your terrific trio Heather.  The camouflage schemes on all three looks great.

Zhizhou

A truly wonderful collection of Italian machinery Heather. They have all turned out beautifully and are so deserving of not just a GB Gallery entry but their own RFI as well. After that effort it’s time to celebrate with a bowl of pasta, glass of vino and a few scoops of gelato just to top it all off! 

Cheers and excellent modelling.. Dave 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Heather: these are works of art, and truly honor the brave crews that were ordered to fly them into the BoB fray (another unwise move by Il Duce).  Your paints and details are spot on, and really belie the small size/scale of these subjects.  They are truly a feast for the eyes.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Couldn't agree more and definitely couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1

Excellent trio of builds with great background. Like everyone above I am impressed!

Now you only have the Cant Z.1007 and Caproni Ca133 that you mention to go and your CAI fleet is complete.

Well, unless you go the whole hog and do an SM.75,  a Ca164 and the a Ju 52 they had on loan.

Excellent modelling skills and fantabulous painting Heather - deep green envy from here in the Antipodes. 

I have exactly the same three kits in the stash with the same decals to build exactly those three aircraft so I found this an excellent post and some inspiration. Thanks you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Now you only have the Cant Z.1007 and Caproni Ca133 that you mention to go and your CAI fleet is complete.

I think the Can’t has been kitted, but it’s like rocking horse poop these days. I haven’t found a Caproni anywhere yet. As to the others, well, one day, my attention will turn to the Mediterranean, and I’ll start collecting kits for that theatre to feed my 1940 obsession.

20 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I think the Cant has been kitted

Yes, Supermodel/Italeri for the Cant Z.1107 and Aviation Usk did the Ca133. I have both - I'll send you a message.

Choroszy for the Ca164 and Balaton Models for the SM75.

• Like 1

Really great finish to all 3 kits Heather. And doesn't the Mediterranean style camouflage look out of place (but nonetheless attractive) in northern Europe?!

I'm part way through Tony O'Toole's excellent 'No Place For Beginners' which is an excellent source of inspiration should you choose to look for a warmer 1940 theater of operations!

Edge