Revell 1:32 BAe Hawk T1.A Red Arrow.....Finished

So, things are a little better. Sprayed back over the offending area with Humbrol Clear Gloss. It has taken away 'most' of the white bloom/ring. 

IMG-3264.jpg

Thinking I'm just going to have to carefully touch up the red......or mask the roundel off and spray the red back over.

Trouble is.........suggestions on next step. think I should go spray it all with Alclad Gloss before doing more decals (as not had issues with Alclad/setting solution.............or............just found some Humbrol Decalfix in the drawers and I'm guessing that the decalfix/clear, both being Humbrol, should not have this bad interaction?

Glad to hear it at least partly worked. What's interesting is in the original photo, there's no bloom at the edge of the decal, it starts outside of the carrier film area. Now it looks a tiny bit like silvering at the edge of the decal? 

Could it have been cloudy water. When you put a decal in you can get this white substance floating in the water which may have clung to your decal. It’s as if you need to put the decal into fresh water after it’s released but before offering it to the model. Not sure how you can get rid of it once dried though.

Seeing as on the one decal I've managed to get on so far, the infamous roundel, has got the damm red grinning through the white, I'm dubious to put the other decals on and have them pink on me.

So.....I made the rash decision to mask off the underside and attempt the white arrow. Only got a couple of thin coats on so far so is still pink but hoping that a couple more coats will make it turn out OK. just have to keep remembering to push down the tape in a few places to make it conform to the curves!

Not sure how I'm gonna deal with the top side yet as there is text and not just lines/flashes...............any suggestions?

IMG-3265.jpg

Even if I say so myself, pretty chuffed at the results. Way better than 'pinking' decals:

IMG-3266.jpg

Roundel has been saved with some careful painting................but you can clearly see the 'pinking' when compared to the sprayed white. Guess the only way round this is to paint over the white part?!?!?!?
IMG-3268.jpg

WRT to the other remaining roundels (3), I figure on painting a white 'disc' shape under where the decal will go so it comes up white.

Whilst this 'may' work out OK for the roundels, how do I deal with the wording on the sides?  Anyone have any suggestions. Does anyone have a spare/unused decal set for this model that they would be willing to sell (or know where I can buy) then I could piggy-back the decals.......figure double thick would get rid of the pinking?

2020-08-22-21-49-59-Window.png

• Like 1

More masking today, along with putting the roundels on. Sprayed a white disc prior to putting decal on and that worked out just fine..........no damm pinking 🤪

Also masked off the 'stripes' down one side. Not so easy to do......but got lovely white stripes. just got to cut a couple of Union Jacks and a badge off the original decal to stick on the model.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

• Like 3

Does the 'BM hive mind' have any suggestions as to how to stop the royal Air Force text from pinking?  Been looking for a replacement decal sheet but can't find one anywhere (short of buying a whole new kit just for the decals!). Someone suggested making a kabuti mask but that seems like one hell of a job! tracing that text onto a sheet then cutting it all out sounds like a recipe for disaster and insanity.

2020-08-22-21-49-59-Window.png

Hi Mate,

First off if you PM me, I have the unused Arrows Royal Air Force decals which are yours, if you want them, as I have done my Hawk in a black scheme.

I think you have defiantly gone the right way with masking and spraying the white, when ever I have done RAF training A/C, think JP, Chipmunk I have always given the whole airframe a coat of gloss white and then masked up where the roundels go using self adhesive dots, the sort you get to go on year planners and the like. This leaves a white ring as no matter how good the decals you can always see the transition from white to red as well as the masking line. 

Fairly certain the milky-ness around the roundel is the decal agents reacting with the varnish, I have never got on with the humbrol clear finishes , they don't seam to set 'hard' and I only use the Micro sol /set agents.

I have recently started using Tamiya Clear in both matt and gloss so that my be the way to go when everything is on. I know its no help now but its one of the reasons  I always use good old xtracolour  gloss enamels as they dry rock hard and are decal ready. Perhaps when you do the other eight arrows .......

Like the the seat cover , wine bottle foil is great for them, but I always have trouble getting the cover straight after drinking the bottle to get the foil !!!:thumbsup:

@Paulaero    Life saver!  PM sent.

Like the the seat cover , wine bottle foil is great for them, but I always have trouble getting the cover straight after drinking the bottle to get the foil !!!

LMAO

You're doing a great job with this and solving all the issues. I'm following this advidly as I have 9...yes NINE,,,of these kits to make a whole team, but I am having secoind thoughts as just one appears challenging!. I was concerned about the red bleeding through the white decals and have anticipated that by buying a sheet of these white backing patches by Fantasy Printshop. 

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/decals/aircraft-decals/fantasy-printshop-decals/white-backing-patches/

@AMB   The kit build itself is pretty simple with no major issues, so don't be put off. I didn't follow the instructions to the letter and did some bits out of sequence, especially WRT the intakes and inboard stuff related to it (sorry, don't know the technical terminology for the gubbins inside!)

My issues (as you can see) came after paint.......namely the decals. Others have said they had no issue with the red pinking thru the white deals.......am wondering if a different red (ie different manufacturer) would make any difference. Looking at the decal sheet, they look quite thin so was worried from the get go they they would be an issue. Whilst those white backing patches you mention will help out with the roundels, I think that they will be problematic when trying the big white stripes etc. (unless you get a whole uncut sheet and cut ones same size as the decals that go over them.

To be honest, it wasn't to difficult to mask off all the stuff and put the white on after the red. With the benefit of hindsight, it probably would have been easier to have sprayed white and then masked off the arrows etc and then sprayed on the red...............but I didn't as I had my fingers crossed that the decals would work out.  Now that I've done it I'm glad as I think it looks better.

By the time you have finished all 9 of yours you will be an expert!!    Go for it!!

First lot of decals on, just need the second set to go on top of the 'Royal Air Force'. Thanks a bunch to @Paulaero I received a second set in the post this morning.

Unfortunately, they will have to wait for a few weeks as I have to go to Poland for business for 3 weeks tomorrow. Not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not, this is my first work trip since March!!

Anyhoo............will try get a clear coat over the top later today if I can, need to seal the decals before I put the second ones over the top. I figure it won't work well for me if I just put them straight over the top as I expect the decalfix will affect the underlying decal.

Most all of the decals have worked out just fine, but you will see that the Royal Air Force is 'pinking'......hence the second ones to go over the top which I am sincerely hoping will end up proper white!

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update......back from my business trip and just started putting the 2nd set of decal on over the first set. Makes a big difference as you can see below. Will get them on and then another clear coat and then the little bits last (you know, the little bits that always get knocked off with handling!)  Got a couple of garden gnomes from the In-Laws to tart up as well :).

Decal.jpg

• Like 2

So here it is, finished at last.

Just a couple of photos, will get some better ones tomorrow in daylight. Toying with the idea of using some cotton wool to simulate a display smoke trail. I'll play with that idea tomorrow and see what it looks like :)

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

• Like 3

So, here is my BAe Hawk T1.A

Model is completely OOTB, interior paints mostly Tamiya, external  is MRP.

Hope you enjoy, comments and critique welcome...(and just noticed on photos that I have forgot to add the 3 small exhaust pipes for the smoke......doh!)

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

• Like 3