COIN Bird,1/48 North American T-28 Trojan Laos

modelling minion

Sorry to hear about the kit failings craig but as stated earlier in the thread you’re a great moodeller and will whip it into shape.

with the trench like panel lines, i guess theres no fix for those? looks like a lot of modern airfix offerings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Sorry to hear about the kit failings craig but as stated earlier in the thread you’re a great moodeller and will whip it into shape.

with the trench like panel lines, i guess theres no fix for those? looks like a lot of modern airfix offerings

Cheers Paul,  you are way too kind regarding modelling skills but she is moving forward. I will try and post some pics tomorrow as I am at work tonight. 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Strangely enough it was one problem I didn't have on my kit!

It seems that Roden have mixed a wide range of issues into their various T-28 kits, I'm just lucky enough to have got most of them in mine.

I have filled and sorted most of the sink marks on the wings and tailplanes, with the remaining filler in place it illustrates the extent of the sink marks so I took some pics which show what they look like as you can see below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cockpit has been built up with the exception of the seats.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the cockpit finished it was time to fix it to one half of the fuselage (quite a vague fit but not difficult) and then I decided to close the fuselage up which on the whole is a pretty good fit with the only area really needing any filler being the area in front of the cockpit.

spacer.png

When the filler is dry I shall sort out the seams and then I can make a start on the engine.

Thats it for today so thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I'm just lucky enough to have got most of them in mine.

:)

You were unlucky not to get such humungous sink marks on your wings as I did though! 🤣

Our fuselages look about the same, so some consistency by Roden at last!

Coming on well though!

Keith

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

looks great Craig, looks like you sorted out those sink marks quite nicely.

One Long Island Iced Tea please! :D

Cheers Rich, yes the majority of the sink marks are sorted now. So far the parts that I have glued together have actually gone together okay but I think the big test will be the centre section of the fuselage undersides and then the wings going on to it.

As for the Long Island Tea you will have to wait your turn! Not a very Aussie drink though is it? Sounds a bit girly for you lot. 

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

As for the Long Island Tea you will have to wait your turn! Not a very Aussie drink though is it? Sounds a bit girly for you lot. 

Buy the sound of it you haven't had one before....pure rocket fuel, made with 6 or 7 nips of sprit (the proper ones), done properly you don't even notice all the alcohol!!!  My cocktail of choice....among many! :D Had some wild nights drinking them.....not that I actually remember them! :christmas:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Buy the sound of it you haven't had one before

True I have never had one, more of a beer man myself, although I did once work my way through all the different Vodkas on offer in a Bulgarian bar, didn't do me a lot of good. 🤮

Anyway back to the Trojan, I have finished the engine. The kit supplied push rods for the engine and their seriously bad attempt at the ignition harness had to be removed, I don't normally go into details on the engine but these needed replacing so it was out with the brass rod and thin wire to replace the very chunky kit parts and the finished engine can be seen below;

spacer.png

Nothing like the results some of you can achieve but I am happy with it.

I drilled out the exhaust stubs before they were fitted inside the fuselage but will paint them later;

spacer.png

The wing centre section was actually a really good fit and practically snapped into place;

spacer.png

As you can see there was just a small amount of filler required at the rear joint but it cleaned up really easily, this kit is a real conundrum of dodgy moulding and over thick  parts and some really good fitting parts.

I have now fitted the engine to the front fuselage (after adding an awful lot of weight into the space behind where it fits) and the engine cowling which fits in about 90% of it's mating surface but will require some cleaning up. When the fuselage is cleaned up I will have a look at fitting the wings.

Thats it for today so as usual thanks for looking and any comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

20 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

That engine looks the business!! The brass rod a wire make all the difference; as do the drilled ports :clap:

Thanks Nigel, really kind of you.

14 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Wow! Your wiring harness looks fantastic. Care to share any tips on how this is done?

Thanks, happy to share. All I did was to drill holes into the cylinders in the right places and superglue a very thin piece of fuse wire into each hole that had been cut to an approximate length. The piece of the harness which goes around the reduction housing was thicker fuse wire which I bent into shape around a thick paint brush, then cut it to length and fixed it to the front of the housing, the thinner wires were then bent into the correct shape and length with the end of the wire being pushed under the piece on the reduction housing and it is held in place.

Hope that is helpful to you.

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Smashing ! Cockpit engine and exausts  are all looking rather good craig

Cheers Glynn, I am much happier with her now that I am actually doing modelling rather than fixing issues with the kit.

6 hours ago, Triet Cam said:

I bet this one is a heavy tail sitter. Any idea how you will tackle the nose weights?

Oh yes definitely a tail sitter, I have stuffed the area behind the engine with some broken bolts and large washers which fell into my bag at work, well over 20 grams which should be enough, hopefully!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh yes definitely a tail sitter,

Mine isn't (cos I stuck it to a base.....!! :whistle: )

Seriously I always do that, but was especially glad I did in this case as I found the nose leg to be very fragile and broke it three times during the build - maybe something to keep an eye on with all that metal in the nose Craig.... (the breakages were probably due to my clumsiness mind!)

On 08/09/2020 at 21:50, modelling minion said:

Nothing like the results some of you can achieve

Way better than mine which is as it came out of the box. Yours makes me wish I'd made a bit more effort now! Really looks good! 👍

Keith

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Mine isn't (cos I stuck it to a base.....!! :whistle: )

Seriously I always do that, but was especially glad I did in this case as I found the nose leg to be very fragile and broke it three times during the build - maybe something to keep an eye on with all that metal in the nose Craig.... (the breakages were probably due to my clumsiness mind!)

Way better than mine which is as it came out of the box. Yours makes me wish I'd made a bit more effort now! Really looks good! 👍

Keith

Thanks Keith, I am aware that the nose leg is a little on the flimsy side, I shall have to be very careful with it especially with all the weight above it.

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee that extra work on the engine has paid off, looks great!

Thanks Rich, its not something I have really bothered with before but I felt that it needed it this time and I was surprised that it worked quite easily.

16 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Fuse wire, you say? I'll have to get some. 

I love the consistency of the bends you achieved. My past attempts at a wiring harness resulted in each wire having a slightly different shape, and the whole thing looked like a sloppy mess.

I was surprised that the bends came out quite consistent too, must have been a happy accident!

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I found the nose leg to be very fragile

Hmmm Im surprised no one does a metal/brass replacement. 

On looking they do it might be something to consider though they're bit pricy around £12 

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/sac48174.htm

Dennis

• Like 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I will give the kit parts a try

I think if you're less clumsy than me it should be fine - mine is now encased in 7 or 8 layers of superglue, so not exactly to scale anymore, but it seems to be holding up OK!

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...