COIN Bird,1/48 North American T-28 Trojan Laos

modelling minion

Well seeing as I'm co-hosting I thought I had better declare my intention build wise for what promises to be another very popular and very enjoyable GB. As I mentioned in Dennis' ( @Corsairfoxfouruncle ) Bird Dog thread I have had an interest in the secret war in Laos ever since reading a truly fantastic book called "The Ravens" by Christoper Robbins which tells the tale of a group of American airmen and CIA operators who fought against overwhelming odds to support the local Hmong population in their struggle against the Pathet Lao and the North Vietnamese using nothing more than light aircraft and helicopters with the hottest ship available to them being the T-28. Armed with machine guns, rockets and bombs these armed trainers waged their own war against the fairly sophisticated weapons of the North Vietnamese, and not without success either.

As it stands at the minute I am unsure as whether to build a T-28 flown by the Ravens or by the best pilot the Laotians had, a Hmong pilot by the name of Lee Lue who had an uncanny ability to place ordnance with pin point accuracy and had to show the USAF fast movers how to do things on several occasions when they had whizzed over a target in their multi million Dollar hi tech aircraft and missed the target and the Lee Lue would come along and roll his little T-28 into a dive pickle off one bomb and flatten the target. 

On to the kit. I will be building Roden's 1/48 T-28D Trojan which was released a few years ago and seems to be nicely moulded and perfectly adequately detailed for me, it actually comes with markings for the 606th Special Operations Squadron of the USAF based at Nakhom Phanom in Thailand used over "the trail" in the late 60's but I will leave that for someone else to build. Anyway here are the obligatory box and contents shots;

spacer.png

The contents;

spacer.png

The kit options;

spacer.png

I do like the idea of that CIA one from the Congo but that is for another GB.

My laptop is currently moving at the pace of an asthmatic snail with heavy shopping so updates might be a while in coming but don't worry I am really looking forward to getting started on this one as I have been wanting to do it for a long time.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Cool choice  craig ,this is quickly turning into a roden kit gb this 🤗

That was the first thing that popped in my mind.  Another Roden!  Who else we got?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, helios16v said:

Another Roden!  Who else we got?

Maybe ,a suggestion,  Is Any body throwing they're hat in the ring with the operation  ranch hand 1/72 roden c123 provider , I'd  like to see that one done ,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Cool choice  craig ,this is quickly turning into a roden kit gb this 🤗

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

That was the first thing that popped in my mind.  Another Roden!  Who else we got?

It is turning into a Roden GB isn't it, can't think of another one that's had as many of their kits in it.

• Like 1

nice choice Craig!!!  :thumbsup:

I had sort of forgotten about these aircraft, and the scheme with the Laotian pilot does sound good.

I just had to read the review of this model on Scalemates, it does sound like a very nice model......I may have to get one if I can find one going cheap! :D

Good luck with the build hopefully you'll Co-host duties won't eat up too much modelling time (I have fingers crossed as well!!!)

7 hours ago, helios16v said:

Well if the modelling gods look down on me in favour and you lot don't take up all my time as well, I do have a 1/32nd Roden O-2A Skymaster I would love to build here as well!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

On the Roden topic, someone should get one of these before I do something I really shouldn't do.  :D

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/roden-058-nc-ac-123k-black-spot--948831

I have a feeling that may almost be too late!!!  Bet you already have been looking online!  :D

48 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Rich, an o-2 would be a great addition to the GB. I need to get one of the 1/48 ones at some point. 

ICM have a new one that looks quite good.....you should get one to go with this one!!! :D

With my Roden one I bought the metal U/c set, those legs should be stronger now, plus it comes with a front metal firewall to help stop it from being a tail sitter. Plus the decals with the kit are wrong...got replacements.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I have a feeling that may almost be too late!!!  Bet you already have been looking online!  :D

I've one sourced...and on my wishlist.  Going to be dependent on when the next thing comes up that I "have" to place an order for.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2