Y-wing paper model

Ywing

Modelled in 3ds Max and skinned in Photoshop. 

As you can imagine it’s taken a few hours so far!

I tend to model using paper and could see anyone who has made one online so thought it sounds like a challenge!

Here is the main fuselage section

Y wing modelling

This was taken a few weeks back so will post more tomorrow!

• Like 9

Well it’s morning here so thought I would post a couple more pics. 

Really enjoying looking at the forums with all the great work that has been done! It gives me more ideas for my next project! 

A few more of the model in 3ds after skinning. 

50239169388_2da7b06bcc_b.jpg

Front profile

50239169408_7e110eceac_b.jpg

Side profile

50239169418_ffe61b9ceb_b.jpg

Top down

50239169413_6b5f017e72_b.jpg

Another view

50239816641_7bcd3e290c_b.jpg

Completed front two sections and R5 unit. 

The model is 1/55 scale as I wanted it to be the same scale as an x-wing I built previously. The R5 droid is about 25mm tall.

Y wing modelling

As you can see the main body is mostly done. I will add a bit more detail using evergreen rods near the end. Just started to make the engine housing hence the cut-outs ready to fold and bend! 

Lots to do still but am quite pleased on how it is turning out.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, exidor said:

I love this idea. I don't know 3ds Max but I've done some modelling in Blender in the past. Are you unwrapping the UV map and tweaking it in PS to add tabs and whatnot to make it buildable?

Hi, yes I use a UV Unwrap in the modelling programme and paint the textures in PS. once this is done it is exported into a programme called pepakura by tamasoft. This allows you to import 3D models and the UV maps and unwraps them onto A4 sheets. You can then adjust the layouts to create the templates and tabs. I then move back into PS for the final tweaks before printing. 

• Like 1

A quick update on the next phase, as with these models the time is spent in the 3D programme, painting in PS and unwrapping so they print onto card. 

It is easily 70 hrs so far to get to this stage. 

50246312243_cf27d49dd3_b.jpg

50247155387_a5ac09e632_b.jpg

50246312288_b05f2359fb_b.jpg

Onto the main engines and supports at the rear now. 

• Like 11

The detailing is amazing. I downloaded the app you mentioned and had a very unsuccessful go at unwrapping a dalek model I already had on my pc, so I can appreciate how much effort you must have put in to get the construction just right,

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, exidor said:

The detailing is amazing. I downloaded the app you mentioned and had a very unsuccessful go at unwrapping a dalek model I already had on my pc, so I can appreciate how much effort you must have put in to get the construction just right,

Keep at it, it does take time as you have to think in 2D and 3D space in your head and on screen so you get it to unwrap in The programme correctly. I started off making additions to existing paper models which then gives you the techniques to create more complex models. 

Start with making a box, tubes and then build up from there making them smaller.

When you get to printing I found around 230gsm paper/card printed at high resolution gives the best result. 

As you get better you tend to not use tabs on smaller parts and just use small amounts of super glue, (not good for fingers!).

All I can say is WOW. After years of relying on pre-cut card model I have just put a toe in the water trying to design band build my own card buildings. Your build just shows what can be achieved and how far I have to go.

Hope we will see more of  your paper builds on BM.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

All I can say is WOW. After years of relying on pre-cut card model I have just put a toe in the water trying to design band build my own card buildings. Your build just shows what can be achieved and how far I have to go.

Hope we will see more of  your paper builds on BM.

Thank you, give it a go! Any help I can be just shout when you get to building! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stephen W said:

Any help I can be just shout when you get to building! 

First question is which glues you use? Super glue comes in so many guises nowadays....

My glues of choise are Pritt stick for large areas, old stlye Uhu for stickyness and Deluxe Materirals Rocket Card for general purposes

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

First question is which glues you use? Super glue comes in so many guises nowadays....

My glues of choise are Pritt stick for large areas, old stlye Uhu for stickyness and Deluxe Materirals Rocket Card for general purposes

Glue wise I use UHU for larger areas with tabs, for smaller areas i use liquid super glue. 

• Thanks 1