Sprint car world of outlaws

spacer.pngOnto model no 6 a sprint car ,these cars are nuts 

not a fan of the sponsors with this so I bought aftermarket and changed colour scheme 

added  spark plug wires ,some fuel lines for rear tank and braces for wing

the seat supplied look like it came from the 70s early 80s when this kit was 1st issued so I had a go at scratchbuilding a full containment seat

not perfect but it will do ,again poor paint lots of mistakes but I’m getting there and importantly enjoying itspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Ottopv
Added image
  • Like 7

Don't beat yourself up on the paint - black is well known for being just about the hardest colour to get right and shows up pretty much every little flaw. I'd say you've done a good job with this - just need some WIP threads for the future projects!

Fabulous - would love to see these “live” I think it’s perfect as it is.  I think the black finish suits it - you should have not said it was not By design!  I have monogram boxed one in the stash can’t think I could ever match this But will bookmark to inspire. 

Thanks for the comments all

@Spiny wish you hadn’t said that just started next build and I’m going black again already having problems might put a wip for this one ,good to see the fiesta all done looks great can’t wait for your next full build

@BristolBlue yes I was lucky enough to see them a few years back in Australia although the meeting was called of due to rain

i was brought up watching brisca f1  but I can’t find any kits for those

@JCH should be in USA now on hols was hoping to catch some dirt racing alas I’ll have to wait till all this is over

3 hours ago, Ottopv said:

wish you hadn’t said that just started next build and I’m going black again already having problems might put a wip for this one ,good to see the fiesta all done looks great can’t wait for your next full build

I'd defintiely suggest getting hold of some 6000, 8000, 12,000 and possibly 4000 grit Micromesh pads in that case - you'll be amazed what a difference you can make to a paint finish. Apologies for hijacking your thread (your model is too good to deserve that fate), but if it helps in your next build you may want to consider it depending on how the paint comes out. This is an old pic, but the left hand side of the bonnet is how it sprayed, and the right hand side (as viewed) is after polishing.

40868833853_72c1b4993d_b.jpg

I did look at those a while ago and just ended up with 5000wet and dry I’ll probably get some micromesh

that is quite a difference on the bonnet

I’ve just wet sanded through the base coat on the next model trying to get rid off the worst orange peel I’ve seen more like the moon surface

need to sort airbrush problems

and learn to use rattle can

Well done good looking sprint car! Don't worry about paint, it takes a while and sometimes a lot of work to get it truly glossy!

• Like 1