1/72 Buccaneer S.2 XN975 - RAE and RRE Trials Aircraft

I finished this yesterday afternoon for the Buccaneer STGB. I used the old Airfix S.2B boxing and decided to improve the cockpit, wheel bays and intakes with with Neomega resin sets that I had bought several years ago. I also removed the raised panel lines and rescribed the kit, added etch details from an Airwaves set to the airbrakes, and replaced the pitot with a Master brass item. The decals are from a Kits World Buccaneer Trials Aircraft set and the scheme is based on a photograph that I found in Wings of Fame Vol.14, Pg.100.

Buccaneer S.2 XN975

RAE and RRE Trials Aircraft

50233122251_8a51bc99b2_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50233339447_bd55f58c3a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50233122581_ea8c7603ca_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50232468563_2a3186a7c9_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50233340097_84045cac10_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50233122366_a26c86a73d_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50233122716_bfa48f6588_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50224847068_b15937dfab_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50232467713_3be17af47c_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all of the fellow Britmodellers who have taken the time to pass comment, they are really appreciated. There were a few hurdles to clamber over along the way, mainly with trying to get the cockpit and upper nose parts to fit. Having removed the kit nose section from the upper half, I found that the resin replacement just was not going to fit. So ended up thinning the part I had removed to accept the cockpit tub, and then grafted that part back in. I got there in the end though, and I am pleased that you like what I have done with this older kit.

Cheers 

John

Thanks for the info regarding the NeOmega cockpit fit issues.  I have the same combination of parts to build an S2A which I have recently started.  Did you have any fit problems with the intakes and wheel wells?

Trevor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Thanks for the info regarding the NeOmega cockpit fit issues.  I have the same combination of parts to build an S2A which I have recently started.  Did you have any fit problems with the intakes and wheel wells?

Trevor

I am glad that you found it useful Trevor. The NeOmega parts seem to be lacking when it comes to instructions. I used three of their improvement sets on my build, undercarriage bay, engine intake and exhaust, and cockpit.

After removing the kits undercarriage bays, it took several rounds of sanding and reshaping to get those areas to a point that I was happy with the fit and alignment. The main bays are a great improvement, but the nosewheel bay is quite deep and I feel that because of that little of the detail can be seen anyway, and I would probably choose not to fit that item if I did this again. I discovered later that I had to scrape material from the top of the nosewheel bay and the bottom of the cockpit to get that sit down properly.

The resin intakes are a good fit, I only had to reshape the kit part slightly to fair them in, but I failed to work out how the exhausts would fit together.

The cockpit set caused me some issues. The upper nose section fell short at the forward bulkhead, and the large lump of resin inside that part meant that the cockpit tub would not sit within the upper nose section, which also meant that the nose sections could not be joined. It was at this point that I decided to use the previously removed kit part.

Here is a link to my build thread, there may be some useful images amongst the ramblings. I hope that it is of some use.

Regards

John

34 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I am glad that you found it useful Trevor. The NeOmega parts seem to be lacking when it comes to instructions. I used three of their improvement sets on my build, undercarriage bay, engine intake and exhaust, and cockpit.

After removing the kits undercarriage bays, it took several rounds of sanding and reshaping to get those areas to a point that I was happy with the fit and alignment. The main bays are a great improvement, but the nosewheel bay is quite deep and I feel that because of that little can be seen anyway, and I would probably choose not to fit that item if I did this again. I discovered later that I had to scrape material from the top of the nosewheel bay and the bottom of the cockpit to get that sit down properly.

The resin intakes are a good fit, I only had to reshape the kit part slightly to fair them in, but I failed to work out how the exhausts would fit together.

The cockpit set caused me some issues. The upper nose section fell short at the forward bulkhead, and the large lump of resin inside that part meant that the cockpit tub would not sit within the upper nose section, which also meant that the nose sections could not be joined. It was at this point that I decided to use the previously removed kit part.

Here is a link to my build thread, there may be some useful images amongst the ramblings. I hope that it is of some use.

Regards

John

Thanks for that John.

Trevor

• Like 1

Hello Nimrod54,

This is the proof, that color makes the aircraft.

Very attractive paint job and construction of this "oldy'

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Hi Orion,

Thanks for your comment, and I am glad that you like what I have done with this one. You are right, that splash of a bright colour is what attracted me to this in the first place.

You live in a great part of the world, our son and his wife live in Groningen and we have fond memories of all the places we have visited during our trips to the Netherlands.

Small world, I’m in the process of finishing the new Airfix Buccaneer in a slightly earlier iteration of that scheme. if mine can look half as good as yours I’ll be happy. Will have to figure out photo uploads as I’ve never really managed to sort that.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 21:10, Plasticbasher said:

Small world, I’m in the process of finishing the new Airfix Buccaneer in a slightly earlier iteration of that scheme. if mine can look half as good as yours I’ll be happy. Will have to figure out photo uploads as I’ve never really managed to sort that.

Thanks Pb, I found this photo of XN975 at RRE Pershore in 1976 during my searches. Is this the scheme you are going with?  Whatever scheme you have chosen, I am sure it will be a great choice and should look fantastic on the new Airfix kit, I look forward to seeing photos. Posting pics is a fairly simple thing to do, you need to sort a means of hosting your photos first and you will find plenty of info in the site help and support section.