Avro 671 ROTA - military version equipment

KayFranz

Hello,
I wanted to make a model of the Avro 671 ROTA gyroplane, a military version made to order for the RAF, not the civilian Cierva C.30A mobilized after the outbreak of the war.

The military ROTA differed from the classic civilian version of the C30 in a few details. I know that the seats were prepared for parachutes - that is, they were deeper than in regular Cierves. According to the drawings from the Aeromodeller 1962-09, on the portboard there is a box for signal cartridges, not clearly legible and without dimensions. Where was the rocket gun? Next to? What type could it be? Webley?

sg2.jpg

I have not found this element in any photo.

On the starboard side there was a fire extinguisher (No.3 type - is it that?)
. 558px-National_Methyl_Bromide_extinguish

But there is no lever or knob here, not even a pipe joint, it would rather be this or a similar design:

399px-Blythe_House,_Science_Museum_13_-_

Nowhere can I find a photograph or sketch showing its position, as well as the route of the pipe connecting it to the engine. In my opinion, a storage box? bag? for maps should also be installed - and this is also not visible in any photo.
Is there anything else that made the military versions different from the civilian versions? Other locks for attaching the engine hood - it's simple and easily noticeable, but what the inside of the first aid kit panel on the rear left side of the fuselage looked like - I don't know either.

Do any of you have - or can you indicate where they are - photos or drawings showing these elements?

THX,
KayFranz - unlicensed researcher of the Cierva gyroplanes 😉

Hi KayFranz,

do you have the Aeroplane "Company Profile" on Avro? If not, send me a PM with your email and I will send you a scan of the Rota line drawings which may answer some of your questions.

Patrik

This book?

spacer.png

I have it. But I found no answers to my questions there. Am I reading inaccurately?
The blueprints on this book are a copy of the Aeromodeller drawings from 1962 (see my first post) - and they are not exact. For example, the pipes on these plans do not match the factory drawings of the fuselage or the shape of the tail is incorrect. The only thing that can be found in them is the shown place for rocket pistol cartridges. But I've never seen this box in any photo. I'm looking for photographs, because you can draw anything and anywhere, but photographs are the most reliable source of information.
I know that despite so many years these are still the best plans of Cierva (or rather Avro ROTA), but I hope that 2020 is the last year of this situation. I have received very interesting rumors recently.

But thank you very much for the suggestions, I'm looking for more ...

Yes exactly this book. The Rota drawings are rather exceptional compared to the rest of the publication, which is in fact quite sketchy as a whole, Did not know they were a copy from Aeromodeller.

Edited by Patrik

BTW
Anyone have the original paper edition of AeroModeller 1962-09 and can send me a scan of this page with Cierva's plans? There are scans on the web, but quite low quality.
And it does not even have to be a scan - photos taken with the phone would be enough.

kayfranz (at) wp.pl

Edited by KayFranz