French Indochina - SB2C-5 Helldiver, Bach Maï, 1954

Wez

This will be my entry for this GB, I won't actually get started until after I finish my studies in September.

The aircraft is BuAer No.89411, 3.F.10 of the Aeronavale's 3F based at Bach Maï during the battle for Dien Bien Phu in 1954.

I'll be using the Special Hobby SB2C-5 kit which is itself based upon the Academy SB2C-4 kit with some extra goodies to make up for the differences in the two sub-types.

While the kit has markings for an Indochina based aircraft I'll be using the Model Art decals for the unit markings and serials at least.  Whilst the aircraft was assigned to 3F, the Allied Wings book has a picture of this aircraft at Bach Maï and it still wears the badge of the Khourigba Station Flight, Kourigba being in North Africa, fortunately the Model Art set includes these markings.

The aircraft got into quite a tatty state and was scrapped on its return to France, so I'm aiming for the well worn look with this one!

Here's the kit and decals:

IMG_20200817_103844r

And here are the references, the SAMI article has a useful build article for the Academy SB2C-4 which I'll be leaning on during the build.

IMG_20200817_103728r

This will be my first build post studies so I'm hoping to be able to do it justice, it's so good to have time to return properly to modelling!

Thanks for looking and good luck to all in this GB!

• Like 10

welcome along Wez, and it's great to see some of the French aircraft used here being represented.

I do like the Helldiver but have never built one....maybe I should one day.

Good luck with the build (and your exams I expect), we'll be ready and waiting to follow this build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VG 33 said:

Hello

I will follow this one as I had the same idea 😉

Patrick

Patrick,

I'm sure you'll do a far better job than me!

Patrice,

Many thanks for the best wishes, fortunately there's no exam, just a dissertation and an academic poster which has to be submitted in 4 weeks time!

I hope I can do the subject justice.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, Wez said:

Patrice,

Many thanks for the best wishes, fortunately there's no exam, just a dissertation and an academic poster which has to be submitted in 4 weeks time!

I hope I can do the subject justice.

Good luck Wez.   

• Thanks 1