Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter

Pappy

G'day people,

I have (finally) managed to get the wings on

DSCN7424.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7423.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Of course, that was when I noticed that the tailp[lane was skew-wiff so that had to come off..........................

• Like 4

I can think of nothing worse than that........arrr yes i can, when you glue the control surfaces on with CA cement and then realize one of them it off! :doh:

Looking forward to when you're finally able to put some colour on her.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:07 AM, modelling minion said:

As one set of flying surfaces go on another come off!

It is far better to make a small backwards step though than to be unhappy with the final result, it would permanently bug you.

That's right Craig, great hobby isn't it!

On 11/28/2020 at 8:37 AM, trickyrich said:

I can think of nothing worse than that........arrr yes i can, when you glue the control surfaces on with CA cement and then realize one of them it off! :doh:

Looking forward to when you're finally able to put some colour on her.

G'day TR, getting close now, but I am also keen to get to the pointy end of this build too.  Still awaiting decals but should not be long now.

G'day people,

A big day at the bench today,

Starting with the back end, the elevator was added in a slightly drooped state

014(18).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The two PE fish plates were added to the base of the fin.  I actually lost these as they were sitting in a small mixing pallet that I use as a temp location for prepared PE parts that I want to add. I was reaching for some tweezers that must have been sitting partly underneath the mixing pallet and partially over a scalpel, effectively forming a catapult which shot these across the desk.  Hilarity ensued whilst I methodically searched for these over the next two hours - NOT!

Eventually they were found but not before inventing an entirely new lexicon

I had previously attached the rudder in an off-set position but decided that I wanted the trim tab also offset as well. The rudder trim tab was cut off and re-attached and when dry, the rudder was re-attached to the fin.

016(13).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The kit trim tab actuator is a separate item and is designed for a neutral trim tab, so this was modified to suit the re-positioned trim tab and added to the rudder. There appears to be what I think is a tail wheel guard in front of the tail wheel unit. It did not fancy cleaning up the vertical 'N-strut' support so this was replaced with a new item made using stretched sprue

017(13).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Moving forward, the main undercarriage legs were added.

018(9).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

This is quite a spindly arrangement and although very rigid when set, it was quite tricky to attach as it all just butt glued at several small contact points. The Roden instructions are not very helpful when determining where the vertical strut connects to the lower wishbones. I began by attaching the top of the vertical strut then added the lower wish bone and brought the two together and flooded the joint with glue. The same was done to the other side and left for a few minutes to allow the glue to 'grab' before making small adjustments to check alignment.

Still on the underside, the flap/aileron hinges were added as were other details such as the exhaust and louvered panel underneath the engine. Once the u/c had set, I added the cockpit access steps

019(7).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

There is one on each u/c wishbone and again you need to either make a jig or just hold the part in place until the glue grabs and can hold the weight of the item. I though about CA, but although this is quick, if the part is not aligned correctly, you have little chance of making adjustments and this can create greater problems

Only a few more bits and pieces to go before I can start painting

013(23).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Wow Pappy, she really has come on leaps and bounds hasn't she.

With the tail feathers and undercarriage complete she is looking every inch the Turbo Porter, your attention to detail throughout this build has been nothing short of exemplary.

Thanks Craig, I think if I had chosen a more vanilla config it would have been finished now but the avionics gear took a little while. I also have not had good experiences with Roden decals, they have a bad reputation so I don't want to take the risk

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Gosh those detail shots, she looks amazing!!!! :thumbsup:

I so can't wait to see her finished......do you think a Santa extension would help?

G'day TR, the scheme is basically all over OD, although later on they wore dayglo orange panels presumably so they would not be shot buy their own side.

I find this surprising because the NVA and VC generally were not known for operating aviation assets during the 'in-country' war but fog of war etc.

I  should have decals this week, I may make the deadline but it will be close,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Just did a catch up on this one, I sure hope you'll make it! Excellent build and I like what you did with the interior, and all of the mods on the outside as well. Interesting subject that even I as a builder of land dwelling stuff wouldn't mind building 🙂 

On 12/10/2020 at 7:15 AM, JeroenS said:

Just did a catch up on this one, I sure hope you'll make it! Excellent build and I like what you did with the interior, and all of the mods on the outside as well. Interesting subject that even I as a builder of land dwelling stuff wouldn't mind building 🙂 

G'day Jeroen

I am glad you like it, I am having fun building it, even with the retrograde steps. The kit builds well and there are heaps of different schemes available, both military and some very colourful civilian versions

G'day people,

Well, more progress. Most of the fuselage lumps and bumps have now been added. The antenna fit is doing my head in as there are variations between aircraft and during the period of the deployment. I have chosen a particular airframe and decided to base the kit on that airframe at that point in time.

First up, Australian Porters were fitted with two HF aerials. Roden provides one of these for the upper aft fuselage but I needed a second antenna located in front of the windscreen The antenna is waaaay overscale so this was removed and I then cast two resin copies of the base. The bases were added to their positions

001(60).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

The PE elevator trim tab linkages were added now

002(60).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Turning to the underside. PE was added to the wing underside to represent or enhance inspection panels

003(59).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Aileron trim tab actuators

007(53).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I scrtachbuilt the cargo bay doors as well as adding some more aerials using PE scrap and plastic strip.

Finally, the addition of brake lines using fine copper wire

006(54).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 4

On 12/13/2020 at 7:58 AM, modelling minion said:

Yet more great attention to detail Pappy, how you get etched brass to behave itself like that is beyond me. I usually look like a toddler who's been at the PVA and glitter with stuff stuck to everything but what you want it to!

G'day Craig,

I only show you the successful attempts!

G'day people,

Painting has begun.  I have sprayed up a custom orange mix on the wingtips and fin,

DSCN7474.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7471.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7473.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7470.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

My next hurdle is to figure out the size of the orange panels as the reference pictures make it difficult to determine the size accurately. The orange sections did not extend over the flight controls but it was just easier to spray them and the OD will cover the range easily,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

On 12/15/2020 at 3:19 AM, modelling minion said:

I like the orange Pappy, nice colour and very smoothly applied. Far better to have more orange than you need and to cover it with Olive Drab than to try it the other way around.

You would think so but it was harder to cover up the OD than I suspected, but nevertheless we got the OD on eventually

012(28).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

011(34).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

010(37).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Now I just have to break up all that monotone OD

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 6

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good coverage with the OD Pappy, in your last picture it looks like I can already see some variation in the finish, did you do a bit of pre-shading?

Thanks Craig,

Well spotted, I have begun to add variations of the base OD over the top. I am not a fan of pre-shading however, but post shading I do agree with. The start of the process can look a little stark, the aim to to tone down the effects so that they all tie in and harmonise,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Thanks Craig,

G'day people,

Main colours are now done and it is time to gloss up in preparation for decals

006(57).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

008(46).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

007(55).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I used a matt Olive Drab as supplies of my preferred paints have run out (due to the 'Rona) and the kit will require several coats of gloss before the surface is ready to accept decals which is annoying. 

This is gunna be close,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 6

WOW!!!  Gosh she's looking amazing!!!

The subtle variation in the OD finish is spot on, well done! :thumbsup:    Without the post-shading all that OD would have looked too flat.

The PE work is fantastic and really helps bring it to life. 

I really hope you can get her over the line in time. 

G'dsay people,

Sorry to dissappoint but this one didn't get there, hopefully I can get it done in the coming year, but I would like to thank the mods for a great GB subject choice and for doing such a good job moderating, I would also like to thank all who took an interest in my little build as well.

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'dsay people,

Sorry to dissappoint but this one didn't get there, hopefully I can get it done in the coming year, but I would like to thank the mods for a great GB subject choice and for doing such a good job moderating, I would also like to thank all who took an interest in my little build as well.

cheers,

Pappy

Really sorry that your PC-6 isn't going to make the deadline Pappy, but I would much rather see it finished to the very high standard that you have used throughout than rushed to make the deadline.

It has been a very interesting and informative build from the start so a big thank you for having brought it to the GB.

it is a shame it didn't quite make it on time but with all the work you've done it would have been a crime to have rushed it.

Just think as punishment for stuffing it up you could have been sent to England for the term of your natural life!! Nah...I couldn't have been that cruel! :D

Look forward to catching up with this and your wee boat in the WIP sections.

Again thank you for joining us here, was a huge pleasure to have you along. :thumbsup: