On 9/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, Hewy said:

Thats a great painting,and your cockpit is looking nice and busy pappy

G'day glynn,

Thanks very much, I do like a busy cockpit

On 9/20/2020 at 4:30 AM, John Masters said:

Ditto...great stuff.

Cheers JM

On 9/20/2020 at 4:53 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Really smart work. All the extra bits make a big difference.

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much. It is much easier when you have some decent reference pictures

G'day people,

A little more progress today,

All the doors have received their windows

005(30).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

And I have painted up the avionics rack.

007(31).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

006(30).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

There is still a little more to add plus the electrical cables prior to installation and then fuselage can finally be buttoned up,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 14

On 9/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, modelling minion said:

That looks really good Pappy.

Getting the windows in as neat as that with no signs of glue at all is no mean feat.

Thanks Craig, PVA is a must when doing clear bits.

G'day people,

Milestone today, I managed to get the fuselage closed up

006(31).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I managed to scratch up the last bit of kit that lives on top of the avionics and add the electrical cabling

001(37).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

003(37).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

Plenty is still visible through that big side door

007(32).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The nose section fits reasonably well

008(25).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 13

That really is a big step forward Pappy, getting the fuselage closed up is a major step in the build process and it looks like yours has gone together quite nicely. Like you say there is a little bit of a mismatch on the nose section but nothing that can't be sorted quickly.

Your scratch built avionics pack really does look good and fills that cabin beautifully.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:55 AM, modelling minion said:

That really is a big step forward Pappy, getting the fuselage closed up is a major step in the build process and it looks like yours has gone together quite nicely. Like you say there is a little bit of a mismatch on the nose section but nothing that can't be sorted quickly.

Your scratch built avionics pack really does look good and fills that cabin beautifully.

Thanks Craig

On 9/28/2020 at 9:14 AM, trickyrich said:

she's coming together really nicely, glad to see all that work in the cockpit/cabin area will still be seen!

Me too!

On 9/28/2020 at 9:43 AM, Norman said:

Looking good mate !

Cheers Norman

On 9/29/2020 at 3:22 AM, John Masters said:

This is looking superb.  That interior detail is inspiring!

Thanks very much JM

G'day people,

I have gotten the fuselage seams tidied up, I just  need to re scribe some panel details around the engine cowl and the fuselage will just about be done.

038.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

039.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

I added the rear tailplane as I thought it would be easier to get the alignment right and will also act as a datum for the wings later

040.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

I will leave the pilot's door closed. The fit is okay, it sits flush but it is a little gappy

041.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

The windscreen fits but both  it and the fuselage needed a bit of judicious filing and scraping to play nice. In the pic below it is only a dry fit but it fits with just a slight amount of pressure

042.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

On 10/6/2020 at 8:30 AM, trickyrich said:

just getting better with each update, Nice to see the canopy didn't cause any issues.

Cheers Rich,

It just needed some test fitting a sanding in a few spots. All up about 10 mins work

On 10/5/2020 at 8:06 PM, modelling minion said:

Taking shape really nicely Pappy.

I think fitting the tailplanes at this stage was the right call, as you say it should help you align the main wing properly.

Looks like you have achieved a good fit for the windscreen too, something which can make or break the look of a finished model.

Agreed

G'day people,

I gave the windscreen a dip in some Future and it has come up great!

009(27).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

008(27).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

It was clear before but there was a very minor scratch which has just disappeared now. I also made some progress with the wings

010(25).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I need to rescribe some panels around the nose nose  and then I can start bringing all the assemblies together, but first a test fit to get a sense of what it will look like

011(22).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

On 10/11/2020 at 2:34 AM, modelling minion said:

That canopy is really clear Pappy.

The wings look good, none of the dodgy pebbly surface of the T-28, and the test fit looks promising for a good fit later.

Thanks Craig. I find that Roden kits generally benefit form a gentle sanding with some fine sanding sponges/sticks to knock back the 'pebbliness' that they seem to have. Luckily the flaps did not have the 'wood grain' effect that your Trojan did!

On 10/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, pacificmustang said:

This is looking excellent Pappy. Great subject choice 

Bruce 

G'day Bruce, I have been meaning to do this one for aaages, but I was hesitant because of a lack of information regarding the avionics rack in the back. This Vietnam GB seemed a s good a time as any as I don't think an AM solution is going to come along anytime soon. The PE set does nothing to correct the seats, and apart from the seat belts and instrument panel, most of the interior set was useless as it is designed to work with the side mounted gun. I would have thought that at least it would have provided the seat belts for the cabin seating but this is not the case, and the seat belts are not available in a separate set either. You are mostly on your own with this kit

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, trickyrich said:

I can't wait to see some colour on her!  :popcorn:

It is getting closer

On 10/17/2020 at 3:12 PM, Triet Cam said:

WOW! The interior is something else. Great job

Thanks TC

G'day people,

I was getting close to handing the wings on but a niggling voice kept on nagging me to open the two under fuselage panels. These are shown open in my reference pics and I knew it would bother me forever so I finally caved and cut out the door panels

001(52).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Now I gotta make me some doors

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:27 AM, trickyrich said:

very cleanly done! 

What was carried inside, or were they just inspection doors?

G'day TR,

I think that these doors could be opened to air drop stuff from inside the cabin but when the avionics gear was installed, there was a non-directional radio antenna installed that could be extended beneath the aircraft. That is the purpose of the cylinder with the four spoke handle aft of the avionics rack. I suspect that the antenna was a cardioid type that could be turned to use the aural 'null' to determine bearing.  I don't have a lot of reference material for this area but my pictures show these doors opened on the ground. Perhaps this antenna could be stowed within this bay if not required?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Sucker for punishment! The painting was so close too,still more detailing wont be too hard to watch,🤗

I couldn't help myself, if I had left the doors shut it would really have annoyed me!

Pappy

• Like 3