Revell 1/48 Tornado ADV

On 8/17/2020 at 6:07 PM, exdraken said:

any reason for the training missile load out? I think I have never seen so many blue banded missiles on an RAF jet.....

Werner

Looks like an airshow load.

Nice work Bruce BTW

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 10:34 AM, pacificmustang said:

So a full load of training sky flash would not be carried? I’ve seen them with training ASRAAM rounds so assumed they’d also carry training sky flash. I’ll remove them if not correct 

Inert Sky Flash very unusual unless as mentioned for an airshow static display or during weapons loading training and even then having seen the F.3 many times over the years cannot recall them being flown unless in a publicity photoshoot.     Usual training load inert ASRAAM on port outer rail , RAIDS Pod on starboard outer rail , BOL Launch Rail/Countermeasures Dispensers Dispensers replacing both inner rails.

2 hours ago, Des said:

Inert Sky Flash very unusual unless as mentioned for an airshow static display or during weapons loading training and even then having seen the F.3 many times over the years cannot recall them being flown unless in a publicity photoshoot.     Usual training load inert ASRAAM on port outer rail , RAIDS Pod on starboard outer rail , BOL Launch Rail/Countermeasures Dispensers Dispensers replacing both inner rails.

Das, thanks for the info, especially regarding ASRAAM load, as I had not ppicked up they only carried one.

I'm currently building another one, so will have this one more accurately reflect a proper load.  Will have to see if I can source a 48 scale RAIDS pod (once Ive looked up what it is!

Bruce

12 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Will have to see if I can source a 48 scale RAIDS pod (once Ive looked up what it is!

RAIDS - Rangeless Airborne Instrumented Debriefing System is made by MBDA and as far as I am aware the only one available in model form is a one piece resin moulding in 1/48 scale by Steel Beach but this is for the variant carried by the RAF Eurofighter Typhoon which has weights attached to the body is not representative of those carried by other RAF aircraft such as the F.3.

From my own research done for a magazine article about five years ago and no longer available as a back issue the following might help to make your own.     Neither MBDA not the RAF would release details on the length of the pod although similar information is freely available for ASRAAM and AMRAAM.     However by comparing photographs of the real thing it looked as if RAIDS and ASRAAM are roughly the same length so taking one of the latter , removing the fins , filling the locating slot if there is one and then using an image reduced to scale size as a guide add the suspension straps using suitably thick (or thin depending on outlook) decal/plastic/foil strip.      Colour of any I have seen is always white and although some do have a very light grey nosecone all have a black tip to the nose, the cover for the memory card slot in the rear face is also black , there is a medium grey aerial 'window' on the upper surface aft of the nosecone and offset to the right relative to the suspension points which means on the F.3 it faces directly upwards.

The following images taken during a visit to RAF Leuchars in June 2009 might help , they show an overall white pod , a rather dirty looking example with a light grey nosecap and one showing the overall effect when carried on a 43 Sqn. F.3.

p?i=f2fd03b7b03f60bf1f9271cd5443a871

p?i=cd5d2bec7d8a78f8ae00fe172263d482

p?i=4a50b5ead84845490f031350c992fc87

• 2 weeks later...