Jaguar XK SS walkaround/restoration photos...?

Mattlow

Hello all

New to cars, wandering here from aviation mainly, As a first foray I have Revell's 1/24 Jaguar XK SS.

I've read a bit around the kit and consensus seems that it is good. What I can't find is a good set of detail photographs. I wonder if anyone is aware of either any detailed walkarounds or, even better, a restoration thread that'd give good levels of detail. For example, suspension and steering details.

I have used Google to get a fair few images but, maybe not surprisingly, details of the gubbins aren't that common.

My other question is how useful are mages of the 'continuation' XK SS machines? Are they absolutely faithful to the originals or do they make allowances for modern safety standards etc?

Many thanks

Matt

As far as I know the continuation Jaguars are faithful to the originals in every way, they aren't road legal (in the UK anyway) so there are no concessions to get single vehicle or type approval.

Your location is given as Devon so I imagine a trip to the British Motor Museum would be a bit difficult. There is usually at least one D-type from the Jaguar Heritage Trust on display at the museum (I volunteer there).  There is a "contact us" link on the Jaguar Heritage Trust web page; Jaguar Heritage Trust homepage and contact details here. They may have some archive photos of the XKSS (they don't have one of their own as XKSSs are that rare) or of their D-types.  I can't guarantee they'll be able to help but it can't hurt to ask.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

These are usually pretty good:

https://haynes.com/en-gb/jaguar-d-type-owners-workshop-manual

And half price at the moment...

best,

M.

@cmatthewbaconThat looks good. I have bought a copy on eBay, £11 with p&p.

4 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

You could try an old fashioned book such as Jaguar D Type and XKSS: Works & customer cars; Deetype and Lynx by Graham Robson. There is a used example here

@mbdesignartFound one on Amazon for £7, bought.

Thanks to both f you for the leads...

Matt

I can highly recommend the Haynes book,a bit late now I know! I make quite a few D type kits and the Haynes book is the only one I could find to show suspension and steering pics for us modellers. The XKSS is a Road going D type.Chris.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the images folks.

I'm currently dissolving chrome off the chromed parts.

Trying to work out which UK products dissolve the layer which sits below the chrome. I've seen a few US threads where product is mentioned, but not UK specific. I am trying a longer bath in bleach (the chrome was gone in about ten/fifteen minutes), bath in ISP seems to be having an effect. I also have Mr Muscle oven cleaner and some Tesco multi purpose cleaner that made very short work of some old enamel paint.  Parts already look so much sharper with the chrome removed...

Cheers

Matt

PS, I'll do a WiP when I actually start.

• 1 year later...